First Success With Fondant!

Baking By PrettyGirlCakes Updated 25 Apr 2015 , 6:07pm by PrettyGirlCakes

PrettyGirlCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrettyGirlCakes Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 13

Hello everyone! I'm sort of new to cake decorating as I bake lots of dessert cakes (carrot cake, German chocolate, along those lines) but I am moving into the cake decorating part of it. I tried about 4 years ago to make fondant (homemade) but it was a major failure, so I used that failure fondant and turn it into characters for a cake for my sons school. Once I tried that one time, I gave up on fondant and I sort of stopped baking, NOT because of the failure but because I became burnt out and looking back on it, it was because I wasn't profiting from it and I didn't realize until now why that was, which was because I was under pricing my cakes and trying to please everyone's budget but mines lol.

I love to bake, it takes me to a whole 'nother world (in my mind), its such a stress reliever and I love how a little bit of patience and measuring turns into a wonderful creation called a  cake. I can't explain it, I just love it.

So rewind to now, I decided to start baking again, but before I did, I did LOTS of research and I found cake central and cakeboss and it has been so rewarding because of all the wealth of knowledge and all the reading help me understand why I became burnt out the first time due to under pricing my cakes. So now I have better guidance going in this time and I plan to make it a success!

Now onto the topic of discussion lol, I had been reading a lot of the cake central forums and I came across a topic about LMF and I decided to give it a try because I didn't want to try my hand at homemade fondant again. The only thing that turns me off about LMF is the shortening as I am not a big fan of it and would prefer a recipe without it but something that is as good as LMF.

So I tried the LMF today and succeeded! I am so stoked that I had to tell the whole world lol. I just been so overwhelmed with starting back up again and not knowing where to start, but this has made me a believer again and I know I can do it! I see all this fancy cakes on here and I just be thinking to myself I hope I can get that far with my skills one day. I know I can, I'm just afraid in a sense of my own potential, if that  makes any sense at all. Sorry for the long story and vent and extra background but I am so proud of myself! Later fellow, cakesters!

12 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 13

I have used lots of different types of fondant, but you have me stumped.  What is LMF?

Congratulations on your fondant success!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 13

ditto ^^^ yortma

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 13

including the congratulations of course

PrettyGirlCakes Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 13

Lol LMF is the Elizabeth Marek fondant! Check it out!  http://artisancakecompany.com/recipe/the-best-marshmallow-fondant-recipe-ever/

PrettyGirlCakes Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks, I so appreciate it!

fdusing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fdusing Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 13

I LOVE marshmallow fondant.  It's the only fondant that is even worth a hoot, in my opinion.  I won't ever use store bought fondant again.  Glad you found it!!  Congrats and happy decorating! :)

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 13

I love LMF!  Good for you! 

PrettyGirlCakes Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 10:11pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks so much fdusing and Jinkies! Lol I love the name "Jinkies" lol reminds me of Scooby Doo as a child!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks!   I'll have to give this a try.  Did you use the old or new Wilton fondant?  (I use the old Wilton for cake boards since it dries so nicely, but I never liked the taste) and now I don't see it anymore, just the new version which I have not tried but heard is softer and stickier.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE  massa grischuna neutral fondant (from Albert Uster imports, new york).  Since LMF doesn't avoid store bought fondant, might be hard to switch.  Probably a money saving "extender" though.  I'll try it with the massa grischuna and see!  Always the choice between spending time or money!!

malou1021 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malou1021 Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 4:41pm
post #11 of 13

I have made many different fondant recipes in the past and then I came across Liz's recipe about two years ago. That's all I use now.  It's so easy, doesn't dry up too fast, doesn't taste bad, and can be used right away. 

And way to get back into it! 

PrettyGirlCakes Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 13

Lol yea, I keep sneaking a piece of it as I try to work with it lol its good!

PrettyGirlCakes Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 6:07pm
post #13 of 13

I believe its the new Wilton fondant, decorators preferred. I am going to do research on massa grischuna and try it out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%