Cracking

Baking By alene Updated 31 Mar 2015 , 9:45pm by alene

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 30 Mar 2015 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 6

What causes my cake to crack.  I've been baking cakes for a long time but just started having this problem.  I was going to upload a picture but not seeing where to do that.    

5 replies
allthingscake3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allthingscake3 Posted 30 Mar 2015 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 6

There are a number of factors that can make cakes crack.Its worth checking that you are consistent with your measurements.perhaps you have scaled and changed your recipe.Check the temperature you are using it could be too high than what is called for,it may also be the oven getting too hot maybe due to a fault or did you perhaps change your oven recently.It could also be the pans your are using perhaps you have changed baking pans or are baking a large amount of mixture in a smaller pans.

alene Posted 30 Mar 2015 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 6

I haven't changed anything.  That's what has me confused.  Wish I knew how to attach a picture here.  The cracking is on the sides of the cakes. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Mar 2015 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 6

over baking maybe

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 5:04am
post #5 of 6

Without pix it is really hard to try to help you.   You say they are cracking on the sides of the cake.  Do they come out of the pan that way?  Do you run a knife around the pan/cake to loosen it -- that could cause the problem - especially if the cakes are overbaked.    Did you grease/flour the pan properly?  That might help keep it from sticking so you don't have to run a knife around it.   Do the cakes bake with a hump and you press it down before depanning?  That can be causing the sides to crack.  See there are sooooo many different things that can contribute to the problem.

Have you had your oven check for calibration?  Your oven could be running way too hot causing the cake to dry out around the edges without setting the center (so you leave the cake in to bake thereby drying out the edges).

Just a few things to think about and maybe come up with an answer.

alene Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 6

I think I may have figured out what was causing it.  I don't understand it but I think I figured out the problem.   I've never used my bake-even strips since I had my convection oven.  I've used the convection with not problems but when I used the strips with the convection they were cracking on the sides.  After I posted this, I baked more cakes but without the strips and they turned out fine.  So I guess it was the combination of using the strips with the convection.   Don't really understand it but oh well.  No more cracked cakes.  Thank you everyone for trying to help.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%