Fondant Will Be The Death Of Me!!

Decorating By nancylee61 Updated 5 Apr 2015 , 6:52pm by Jenn123

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 17

I recently posted a cake someone wants - it's a hiking cake, they want it in fondant, and since I haven't done fondant in a while, I told them I'd give it a go and let them know.

I bought two classes on Craftsy - Jessica Harris' Clean and Simple Cakes and the Advanced Fondant Techniques class. I made my own fondant using Jessica's recipe - mistake# 1. The fondant is stiff,  hard to roll, hard to color, won't go through my little pasta roller - never again. And I played  with it, adding Crisco and corn starch at various times. And i then tried wrapping the cake and then putting on the top and edges, like a gift box, and like the Advanced Fondant class shows - the fondant was tearing, I couldn't get clean edges, and I was using Satin Ice, which I like!  What a fricking mess. 

I just don't get fondant - I'm not incompetent, I make all my cakes from scratch, I make glorious SMBC, I can pipe fairly well and I'm getting better. I bought the Lambeth Method.  Class, and I swear, that looks much more manageable, with practice, than fondant. And here's the kicker - my cakes taste so great, I hate putting fondant on them anyway, but there seem to be some looks that can only be done in fondant.  Am I wrong???

Words of wisdom, encouragement, guffaws, all appreciated! But I really want to know if all fondant looks can be done in SMBC (not the Crisco kind,I don't use that) and if not, can one build a just buttercream business? Thanks!

nancy 

16 replies
mellee2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee2012 Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 17

I am just the opposite, I prefer fondant.  I make my own, based on the marshmallow one from cake central.  I hardly every have tears or anything.  I have not tried any of the pre-made besides Wilton and it was awful.  Maybe try the homemade kind and see if it works better.  You can always try microwaving for 30 seconds if it is too firm.....good luck.

nancylee61 Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 17

Quote by @mellee2012 on 4 minutes ago

I am just the opposite, I prefer fondant.  I make my own, based on the marshmallow one from cake central.  I hardly every have tears or anything.  I have not tried any of the pre-made besides Wilton and it was awful.  Maybe try the homemade kind and see if it works better.  You can always try microwaving for 30 seconds if it is too firm.....good luck.

The one I used first today was homemade - and terrible! Maybe the recipe here is different than the one from Jessica a Harris. I'll go check it out! Thanks! 

mellee2012 Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 17

I just do mine by feel now.  It is much easier to make it on a counter and pour the melted marshmallow into the pile of power sugar with a well in the center.  

mellee2012 Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 17

I can not get the search function to work for me, but it here is link to video.......not sure if it is the same recipe I use  or not.  I am at work and cannot view it.  I do not use the lemon flavoring or lemon juice.  You can always use pre-flavored marshmallows.

http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/42606/marshmallow-fondant-8

nancylee61 Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 17

Thank you!! I will check it out!!

nancy

nancylee61 Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 17

That's the recipe I just used, so I don't know why mine is so hard and stiff and basically unusable. I am pretty sure I didn't everything just the way it says to do it. I don't get it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 17

i buy my fondant, nancy -- infinitely easier

nancylee61 Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 10:16pm
post #9 of 17

I know - I tried! But even the Satin Ice wasn't cooperating today! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 11:12pm
post #10 of 17

ouch so sorry

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 17

I like the taste of Satin Ice, but I do find it's hard to work with... can't roll it too thin or it tears easily... surface dries quickly and gets "elephant skin." Wilton's fondant used to be awful tasting, but I think the new Decorator Preferred tastes great and it's much easier to work with than the Satin Ice. (Plus, the white is a bit brighter white.) Another fondant that I used once when I took a class is Massa from Albert Uster. It's expensive, but it's great!

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=2DD73E4B-0FEB-B121-850ED79CF7AF7D4D

http://www.auifinefoods.com/massa-americana-5050780000

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 17

I think it is not possible to do every look in buttercream only. Just thinking of simple stuff like bows etc.

On the other hand I hate the taste of fondant (although I am lucky not to have any problems with my recipes- am happy to pm you mine if you like to try it, have one for rolled and one for marshmallow fondant ) and it might be a great idea to specialize in buttercream only. Am sure there is a market for it, especially if you are good in piping...

BabyGotCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGotCakes Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 2:14am
post #13 of 17

Hey nancylee61!  I've been caking for 4 years now and I've always worked with commercial fondant because I found it worked consistently well, and I was slightly terrified at the idea of making my own fondant.  Well, about 2 months ago, on a whim, I decided that I've been working with fondant long enough, so maybe I should give making my own fondant a try.  And, I haven't looked back!  I use a very simple marshmallow fondant recipe.  It is easy to make...no fuss.  I wrap it and let it sit overnight.  I do find that the next day, it is stiff and not easy to work with, however, I microwave it for about 20 seconds, and then I find it is much easier to knead.  You do have to work faster with it then you would with commercial fondant though.  I think having used fondant for a few years now, it was easier for me to tell the correct consistency of the homemade fondant, just from the feel of it.  I love working with fondant but it really is something that takes a lot of practice, and it can be very frustrating in the beginning!  Good luck!!

nancylee61 Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 2:20am
post #14 of 17

Thank you all for your help! And I would love the fondant recipes. I bought some Satin Ice and covered a cake with it - it was much easier to use  than the recipe I made! So any good recipe would be much appreciated,

nancy 

BabyGotCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGotCakes Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 3:15am
post #15 of 17

Quote by @nancylee61 on 36 minutes ago

Thank you all for your help! And I would love the fondant recipes. I bought some Satin Ice and covered a cake with it - it was much easier to use  than the recipe I made! So any good recipe would be much appreciated,

nancy 

The recipe I use (found somewhere online, and is a popular recipe):

Put 1 bag of mini marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl.  Add approx. 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons of water.  Microwave for 30 seconds.  Remove and stir with wooden spoon.  Continue to microwave at 30 second intervals at least 2 more times, stirring in between each time.  (So far that's a minute and a half of microwaving)  At this point, the marshmallows should be almost completely melted but you can still see some that are not quite there yet.  Microwave for 15 seconds more.  Remove bowl and stir.  Now, the marshmallows are melted and smooth.  Add approx. 3/4 bag of icing sugar (from a 1kg bag) to bowl.  Stir with wooden spoon for a couple of minutes just to blend as much as possible.  At this point, give your work space, counter top, etc, a good coating of shortening (Crisco).  And, completely cover your hands in shortening (remove any rings you may be wearing lol)...and I mean, completely...in between your fingers and even around your wrists.  Now, dump the contents of the bowl onto the shortening covered counter.  It will look like a pile of icing sugar with some marshmallow in there somewhere. lol  Start kneading!  It will start to come together very quickly.  Once it starts to take on the actual form of fondant, you may want to add just a little (1/2 tablespoon) water, if it appears dry.   The consistency you want really depends on the humidity in your area.  For me, I pinch a piece of the fondant between my fingers and pull out and if it breaks at about an inch to 2 inches, then it's good.  Coat the mound of fondant with shortening, wrap it in Saran Wrap (cling film) and put it in a Ziploc bag.  Let it rest at least overnight.  The next day, it will be stiff.  Microwave it for 15 to 20 seconds and then it will be much easier to knead.  I find, with homemade fondant, putting some shortening on your work space makes it easier to roll out.  Remember to work quickly when rolling out, because it does dry out faster than commercial fondant.  Hope this helps!

nancylee61 Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 9:56am
post #16 of 17

Thank you, babygotcakes! Much appreciated! 

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 6:52pm
post #17 of 17

I only use fondant for bows and figures. I detest rolling it out and have a hard time keeping fuzz and air bubbles out of big sheets of it. I like Satinice for bows because it dries quickly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%