How Do I Make A Design Like The One In This Photo? What Tip Should I Use?

Decorating By HannahNannahs Updated 24 Feb 2015 , 12:35pm by -K8memphis

HannahNannahs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahNannahs Posted 21 Feb 2015 , 3:10am
post #1 of 9

8 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 21 Feb 2015 , 4:27am
post #2 of 9

Go to youtube and type in "charming" Wedding Cake Design from decopac

I saw a video there that looked identical to the design that you are asking about. They actually show 2 different cake designs but one was like the picture you showed.

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 21 Feb 2015 , 4:43am
post #3 of 9

This is done with a cake comb.  There was a tutorial somewhere, lemmie see if I can dig it up

EDIT:  That didn't take long.

http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com/2013/04/buttercream-comb-cake-and-comb-tutorial.html

HannahNannahs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahNannahs Posted 21 Feb 2015 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks to both of you remnant3333 and TheNerdyBaker!  You guys were so helpful.  Both ways acheived the look that I am trying to reproduce.  I greatly appreciate you for taking the time to help me out.  Thanks again.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Feb 2015 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 9

Sorry Nerdy but that design is not done w/a comb :(  I combed cake will give a somewhat similar look but it's just not the same.

It is done with tip 104 piped around the cake.  It takes a *VERY*! steady hand.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 23 Feb 2015 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 9

I would think the comb would be much easier, and would yield results that the customer wouldn't notice from the reference photo.  Not that we all shouldn't be practicing our piping skills!  Thanks for the link love @TheNerdyBaker!

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 9:03am
post #7 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by kakeladi 

Sorry Nerdy but that design is not done w/a comb :(  I combed cake will give a somewhat similar look but it's just not the same.

It is done with tip 104 piped around the cake.  It takes a *VERY*! steady hand.

The comb not only looks cleaner, but takes all the guess work out of the design.  Not to mention the time.  While I agree the picture is piped, I also believe that a VAST majority of the people on this site (me included) don't have the piping skills even remotely necessary to make the cake the 'right' way.  

Cake decorating, and just business in general, is all about finding the alternatives to complex and time consuming tasks and breaking them down in to something that can be done professionally, efficiently and cheaply.  

Of the two, any person in their right mind would choose the custom comb over the piping.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 12:30pm
post #8 of 9

Awhile i agree that working efficiently is mandatory and generally overlooked in most baking businesses these days piping that would be easy

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 12:35pm
post #9 of 9

Aand kakeladi, i think i'd start with a 124 or perhaps larger but yes a rose tube

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%