Travel With A Two Tier?

Decorating By gwensmommy11 Updated 11 Feb 2015 , 6:35am by LizKatherine

gwensmommy11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwensmommy11 Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing a two tier this weekend for a birthday.  It is a 6 inch on top and a 9 inch on bottom.  It is done with buttercream, three layers on each tier so it will be pretty heavy top tier.  I normally use three dowels stuck in the bottom tier and just stack the top tier with the cardboard under it on top.  However, I have never had to travel with it already assembled.  Should it hold up if I drive carefully?  I don't think the top layer will slide because I am good at getting the dowels just even with the top of the cake so the top layer would be partly resting on the icing and then on the dowels, if that makes sense.  I am so nervous I am going to ruin this beautiful cake in the transport!!  

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 5
i don't know anyone who regretted using extra dowel -- however the opposite is not true --

use four dowel at least and the dowel need to each be the exact same length to each other not to the top of the cake -- and they need to be set where they will hold the weight of the cake above not around the outer perimeter of the 6" they need to be set in toward the middle about an inch for a 6" cake on top -- so essentially the dowel would be in circle that is 4" in circumference --

best to you -- you'll do great
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 5

Delivering cakes is always nerve wracking! LOL

I tend to differ some from K8s remarks.  I have always put dowels around a circle 1/2"-1" less than the size of the tier going on top.  In this case it would be a 6" circle.  Yes, the dowels should all match each other in length.  Look for the highest spot on your cake and insert one dowel, mark, then remove and cut all the dowels to that height.

Using a good crusting b'cream, after doweling, put the top tier's lower border on, finishing the cake the night before so the border's b'cream can crust well. Store in refrig overnight (or, in the coldest place in/around/outside your home).  This usually will be enough to hold the top tier in place.

In the car,  place the boxed cake on a level place - the back floor or in the trunk. It would help if you had a piece of foam to put it on, but it is not totally necessary as long as it is *level*.

Drive like a 'little ole lady' :)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Feb 2015 , 2:32am
post #4 of 5

AIf you use SPS you wouldn't have a worry. I always drove normally. Hubby always drove like a man when we delivered cakes.

LizKatherine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizKatherine Posted 11 Feb 2015 , 6:35am
post #5 of 5

Whenever I deliver cakes, I always have someone holding it for me and making sure every things okay when I go over bumps and stuff. No matter what tier... call me paranoid lol. Actually the first time i delivered a cake without anyone helping me, the top tier sort of slid around, no joke. But it was so minute no one could tell, thank God! Only me 'cuz i Made it! From that point on, I never deliver alone. Too scared lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%