Smbc? What Is The Difference?

Decorating By CookieNibz Updated 14 Feb 2015 , 11:45pm by EdieBabe

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 9:08pm
post #61 of 120

The reason I don't like making IMBC is that pouring hot sugar into the meringue is a very hit-or-miss affair, for me. Generally, the whisk whips a lot of the sugar onto the sides of the bowl, so it doesn't get fully incorporated. Also, it never feels nearly as hot as the eggs I whisk over water for SMBC (I basically whisk them until they're too hot to touch). With IMBC, the meringue might feel a little warm, but that's about it. And how do I know *all* of the meringue came into contact with the boiling sugar (particularly if some of the sugar is hardened on the side of the bowl, or top of the whisk)?

I just think it's easier to make SMBC and guarantee those eggs are getting hot enough. And while I don't doubt it's true that IMBC is more stable, since I've heard it from so many sources, I've never noticed any difference.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 11:59pm
post #62 of 120

IMBC, I tried it & burned myself while hot syrup flew all over.  After that I found a video tutorial that said to just stop the mixer, pour in a little syrup, then restart the mixer..... repeat. duh.

Just haven't tried it again.  Probably should try it again though, just so I can see for myself what the difference is - I may love it !!!  Especially as it's said to be stronger-more stable than SMBC.  Ohhhh I'll bet it makes lovely rosettes.:)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 1:37am
post #63 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

IMBC, I tried it & burned myself while hot syrup flew all over.  After that I found a video tutorial that said to just stop the mixer, pour in a little syrup, then restart the mixer..... repeat. duh.

Just haven't tried it again.  Probably should try it again though, just so I can see for myself what the difference is - I may love it !!!  Especially as it's said to be stronger-more stable than SMBC.  Ohhhh I'll bet it makes lovely rosettes.:)

I've seen tutorials where people pour the sugar into a measuring cup first, then slooooowly pour it into the meringue. I take the pot off of the stove and pour it right into the mixer bowl as it spins on high. It heats the sugar up fast and it probably gets the eggs hotter than it would if you transfer the sugar around between containers. I've never had it spin out of the bowl, though...that wouldn't be fun.

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 1:47am
post #64 of 120

ASo many buttercream so little time. I think I will stick with the SMBC since I have just recently tried it, the IMBC sounds a lil scary ;). I'll try to master the SMBC first, lol. I also saw on global sugar art video (I have only recently discovered this delightful man as well!) that there is also a French meringue buttercream. Do you all like that too? I know some of experienced ladies in this thread have probably already mastered that too, lol! You all have some mad skills!

MBalaska Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 1:49am
post #65 of 120

I admit it!!  Sometimes I'm an idiot, and I probably did everything wrong on that one attempt at IMBC.   do you use the paddle or the wire whip when adding the sugar syrup to the  meringue? 

ps: ( @costumeczar  I've learned to trust your judgment and your recommendations so I'm happy to try it on my next cake;-D;-D)

costumeczar Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 2:19am
post #66 of 120

Quote:

I admit it!!  Sometimes I'm an idiot, and I probably did everything wrong on that one attempt at IMBC.   do you use the paddle or the wire whip when adding the sugar syrup to the  meringue? 

ps: ( @costumeczar  I've learned to trust your judgment and your recommendations so I'm happy to try it on my next cake;-D;-D)

Well, I burn myself on 340 degree isomalt all the time, so 250 degree sugar seems like cool water by comparison.

I use the whip attachment, not the paddle. I use a small pan to cook the sugar and seriously just dump it in the running mixer, I dump the whole pan's worth in, kind of between the side of the bowl and the middle, then scrape the rest in with a rubber spatula. All of the sugar goes into the bowl at 250 degrees so it heats up nicely.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 3:42am
post #67 of 120

AI'm with costumeczar, I use the whisk and pour straight from the pan into the bowl of the mixer. I once worked with a chef who used to say "not on the bowl, not on the whisk", so now I hear his voice every time I make Italian meringue! The only thing I do is slow the mixer a little just while I'm pouring in the syrup, then I crank it up and let it go.

MBalaska Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 3:52am
post #68 of 120

Glad to hear it @winniemog. You've also given me good solid advice...... I'm looking forward to this IMBC redo.  You can never have too many great recipes.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 4:21am
post #69 of 120

AOh and I've burnt myself three times already today (and it's only 3pm - so many hours to fill with potential burns left!)....and none of those burns were from any Italian meringue - I seem to have a fatal attraction between my fingers and those oven shelves.....

Oh well, at least all these burns lets me pretend I'm a real baker. And they look much tougher at the school pickup than the usual brightly coloured hands....last week I had a meeting with the school principal and my hands were bright blue with gold fingertips.....hmmmm......I think burns are easier to explain. The principal probably thinks I'm a tranny who bakes really tasty cakes between musical numbers......

MBalaska Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 4:31am
post #70 of 120

shades of Priscilla QotD?  How fun!! You've gotta take pictures of your rainbow hands some day.:lol:

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 8:51am
post #71 of 120

A

Original message sent by winniemog

Oh and I've burnt myself three times already today (and it's only 3pm - so many hours to fill with potential burns left!)....and none of those burns were from any Italian meringue - I seem to have a fatal attraction between my fingers and those oven shelves.....

Oh well, at least all these burns lets me pretend I'm a real baker.[B] And they look much tougher at the school pickup than the usual brightly coloured hands....last week I had a meeting with the school principal and my hands were bright blue with gold fingertips.....hmmmm......I think burns are easier to explain. The principal probably thinks I'm a tranny who bakes really tasty cakes between musical numbers......[/B]

Lmao :lol: I always get that when I go to family/friend parties where I've done the cake - I can't remember the last time I wore nail varnish rather than my usual blue /black /red hands :-D At least when it's a client they don't see the mess you're in when you deliver!

costumeczar Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 11:18am
post #72 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniemog 

Oh and I've burnt myself three times already today (and it's only 3pm - so many hours to fill with potential burns left!)....and none of those burns were from any Italian meringue - I seem to have a fatal attraction between my fingers and those oven shelves.....

Oh well, at least all these burns lets me pretend I'm a real baker. And they look much tougher at the school pickup than the usual brightly coloured hands....last week I had a meeting with the school principal and my hands were bright blue with gold fingertips.....hmmmm......I think burns are easier to explain. The principal probably thinks I'm a tranny who bakes really tasty cakes between musical numbers......

I call those "baker's tattoos"...the horizontal marks on your forearms where the oven rack has scarred you. I sport quite a few of those bad boys.

I've learned that when people say "what's on your hands?" when they're covered with food coloring, the most amusing response is "the blood of my enemies."

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 4:18pm
post #73 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniemog 

I'm with costumeczar, I use the whisk and pour straight from the pan into the bowl of the mixer. I once worked with a chef who used to say "not on the bowl, not on the whisk", so now I hear his voice every time I make Italian meringue! The only thing I do is slow the mixer a little just while I'm pouring in the syrup, then I crank it up and let it go.

See, this is what I don't get--and I'm sure it's because I'm doing something wrong. My whisk nearly touches the side of the bowl on my standing mixer, and whenever I pour the sugar into the meringue, I invariably end up with a lot of sugar on the whisk and on the sides of the bowl. The whisk just slings it around. I guess I should drop the whisk speed down to low and just pour in spurts, stopping each time the whisk reaches that side of the bowl. Once the sugar is on the whisk or the sides of the bowl, it hardens pretty fast.

costumeczar Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 5:04pm
post #74 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Hfuhruhurr 

See, this is what I don't get--and I'm sure it's because I'm doing something wrong. My whisk nearly touches the side of the bowl on my standing mixer, and whenever I pour the sugar into the meringue, I invariably end up with a lot of sugar on the whisk and on the sides of the bowl. The whisk just slings it around. I guess I should drop the whisk speed down to low and just pour in spurts, stopping each time the whisk reaches that side of the bowl. Once the sugar is on the whisk or the sides of the bowl, it hardens pretty fast.

The whisk touches the bowl on my mixer too...I guess that some sugar does get on the whip but if you don't pour it in slowly it goes right in and if the mixer is on high it doesn't end up al over the bowl. What I find is that if you have it at 250 degrees it doesn't harden all over the bowl, but when you let it cool off by transferring it to a pyrex cup, blah blah blah it cools and is thicker when you put it in the mixer, and that's when it hardens all over everything.

Really, my "method" is to take the sugar off the stove, go straight to the mixer, turn it on the highest speed and DUMP the sugar in. No delicate pouring of a thin stream, none of that. Just dump it in, then I scrape what's left out of the pan and into the bowl. When you slow down that addition  time by pouring it slowly or using different vessels, that's when it hardens up.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 9:05pm
post #75 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

The whisk touches the bowl on my mixer too...I guess that some sugar does get on the whip but if you don't pour it in slowly it goes right in and if the mixer is on high it doesn't end up al over the bowl. What I find is that if you have it at 250 degrees it doesn't harden all over the bowl, but when you let it cool off by transferring it to a pyrex cup, blah blah blah it cools and is thicker when you put it in the mixer, and that's when it hardens all over everything.

Really, my "method" is to take the sugar off the stove, go straight to the mixer, turn it on the highest speed and DUMP the sugar in. No delicate pouring of a thin stream, none of that. Just dump it in, then I scrape what's left out of the pan and into the bowl. When you slow down that addition  time by pouring it slowly or using different vessels, that's when it hardens up.

Thanks very much... this is great advice! I think I feel a test batch of IMBC coming on. ;)

costumeczar Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 11:25pm
post #76 of 120

I have to make some this week, maybe I'll try to do a video of the dumping.

CookieNibz Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 12:37am
post #77 of 120

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

I have to make some this week, maybe I'll try to do a video of the dumping.

Please do, would love to see you in action! :)

costumeczar Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 12:36pm
post #78 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieNibz 

Please do, would love to see you in action! icon_smile.gif

It's not that exciting, don't get your hopes up!

costumeczar Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 6:19pm
post #79 of 120

Okay, all of you who fear IMBC...here's how easy it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYaYePGrc7c&list=UUDru9n0gVtJlapF93R1npSw

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 7:11pm
post #80 of 120

Quote:

Okay, all of you who fear IMBC...here's how easy it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYaYePGrc7c&list=UUDru9n0gVtJlapF93R1npSw

That is awesome!! Thanks so much for doing that. I need to make some buttercream this weekend, and I'm definitely going to follow your lead. :)

CookieNibz Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 8:49pm
post #81 of 120

Quote:

Thanks so much for the video!!! I loved it, seemed very exciting to me anyways. I am going to make some this weekend. I have nothing to use it on, but I will come up with SOME excuse to use it :). Just think a few weeks ago I had never made anything other than ABC. This is very exciting!

THANK YOU!!!

costumeczar Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 9:21pm
post #82 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieNibz 

Thanks so much for the video!!! I loved it, seemed very exciting to me anyways. I am going to make some this weekend. I have nothing to use it on, but I will come up with SOME excuse to use it :). Just think a few weeks ago I had never made anything other than ABC. This is very exciting!

THANK YOU!!!

You're welcome! If you flavor it with nutella you can just eat it with a spoon, it needs no other purpose.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 9:31pm
post #83 of 120

AThanks for the video! I appreciate it. I was getting a little drowsy during the butter stage (it is time for my Saturday afternoon nap lol) but I stayed awake. I will be trying this soon! T

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 10:10pm
post #84 of 120

I remember when I first tried SMBC, it was like magic. I was in love! Now I prefer IMBC, I find the process easier as well. I don't like whisking the eggs on the stove! Boiling up a bit of sugar syrup is much easier, lol! Yes, it's pure laziness that drives me ;) I think the taste is the same between the two, it just depends which way is easier for you. I do also think my IMBC seems  more stable than SMBC as well. CZ, I pour my syrup in a streaky stream, I think I'll watch the video of you dumping it in - it sounds easier still! 

Nadiaa Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 10:23pm
post #85 of 120

I just watched your video. You really just dump the syrup in! How awesome! Loved the little wave to the camera at the beginning, hehehehe :) And you have heaps of videos! Yay!

MBalaska Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 10:35pm
post #86 of 120

Quote:

@costumeczar it's great when you say that you do "what works", and then show how perfectly it does work.  Thanks for putting that tutorial together for everyone.

costumeczar Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 11:20pm
post #87 of 120

Quote:

@costumeczar it's great when you say that you do "what works", and then show how perfectly it does work.  Thanks for putting that tutorial together for everyone.

No problem, it's easier to show than to describe!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadiaa 

I just watched your video. You really just dump the syrup in! How awesome! Loved the little wave to the camera at the beginning, hehehehe :) And you have heaps of videos! Yay!

You bet, and if the butter was warm I'd let the meringue cool off more then just dump the whole load of butter in at once too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by theresaf 

Thanks for the video! I appreciate it. I was getting a little drowsy during the butter stage (it is time for my Saturday afternoon nap lol) but I stayed awake. I will be trying this soon!
T

I fall asleep any time I sit still for more than about two minutes.

costumeczar Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 11:21pm
post #88 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Hfuhruhurr 

That is awesome!! Thanks so much for doing that. I need to make some buttercream this weekend, and I'm definitely going to follow your lead. :)

How did you get that Smurf to do that? heh heh

Nadiaa Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 11:27pm
post #89 of 120

Quote:

You bet, and if the butter was warm I'd let the meringue cool off more then just dump the whole load of butter in at once too!

Yeah, I always dump the butter in at once, hahahaha! I've always just been a bit delicate with my meringue making. Not any more! Thankyou xxx

CookieNibz Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 12:36am
post #90 of 120

Well, I told you I would figure out an excuse to make this. I remembered my grandmother had left me a bunch of pans when she past (she was my teacher growing up, wonderful woman, but i digress) & thought I saw some heart shaped pans. Huh Valentines day is right around the corner so viola. Quite touching actually, the pans were still in their original plastic, so she never got a chance to use them, I'll use them for her :) Can't think of a better use for my first attempt at IMBC :)

Thank you so much for introducing me to SMBC (which i have now tried twice & have fallen in love) & IMBC which I'm VERY excited to try :)

ALL of you women ROCK in my book & your artistry is often unappreciated (from the business threads I have read on CC) so i will say my sincerest thanks, I'm having a lot of fun learning new things!!! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%