3 Tiered Wedding Cake For 230 Guests?

Decorating By Matrishyoshka Updated 6 Dec 2014 , 11:43pm by 810whitechoc

Matrishyoshka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Matrishyoshka Posted 29 Nov 2014 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 15

Hello
I will be making a wedding cake for friends. They only want 3 tiers, but have to serve 230 people. Is it possible? They will keep the top tier for their anniversary. If I made the cake 18", 16", and then 14 or 12", wouldn't it look weird that the top tier is so big? Especially if their topper is small. They want one of those Mr. and Mrs. toppers. 

Any feedback would be really appreciated. 

Thank you!

14 replies
PanickingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PanickingBaker Posted 29 Nov 2014 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 15

AAsk them for the info on the topper they're using. Maybe with an arch or other extra ornamentation it won't look odd. Have you asked the bride for her input? I'm a fan of making the 'customer' for as many decisions as possible so its on them :-)

Matrishyoshka Posted 29 Nov 2014 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanickingBaker 

Ask them for the info on the topper they're using. Maybe with an arch or other extra ornamentation it won't look odd. Have you asked the bride for her input? I'm a fan of making the 'customer' for as many decisions as possible so its on them icon_smile.gif

Thank you so much! The bride has ordered their topper already. It's about 6 inches. She only wants sugar flowers on the sides of the cake, not on top :c  I guess the 12 inch top tier will be better for the topper than the 14" tier.

PanickingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PanickingBaker Posted 29 Nov 2014 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 15

AAgreed. Go with the 12". It will only be for them anyway for their anniversary. Your lower tiers are feeding the masses. It shouldn't look weird. Regardless, that's what they want. Customer satisfaction and all that. Lol. Happy baking!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 8:56am
post #5 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matrishyoshka 

If I made the cake 18", 16", and then 14 or 12", wouldn't it look weird that the top tier is so big?

Yes, weird.  An 18" is so big, it really should be 6" tall to look proportionate (w/a board in the middle at 3" to be served as two separate tiers) and it serves 254 by itself.  Is there any reason they can't have a 4-tier cake?  I'd make a 16" x 14" x 10" x 6" for 228 servings, and make an additional 6" anniversary tier for their freezer.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 9:28am
post #6 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanickingBaker 

Agreed. Go with the 12". It will only be for them anyway for their anniversary. Your lower tiers are feeding the masses. It shouldn't look weird. Regardless, that's what they want. Customer satisfaction and all that. Lol. Happy baking!

You're advocating the couple saving a 12 inch tier for their anniversary?

OP, do a  four tier, or a smaller three tier and a kitchen cake. Don't have a 12inch tier as the top tier. It will look very weird.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 9:57am
post #7 of 15

That shape with a 12" top tier will definitely look weird, a bit like a footstool.  Have you shown the bride what her cake will look like, if you point that out to her she might change her mind about the 3 tier limit.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 15

AToppers are designed to look proportional on a *standard* 6" top tier. The 12" top tier will indeed look very weird.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 15

A"Footstool" hehehe yes.. The biggest top tier that i will make is an 8", but my standard top tier will be a 6". Also a 6" is perfect for an anniversary cake to keep in the freezer all boxed up :) A 12" will be way too big!

Matrishyoshka Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWR41 

Yes, weird.  An 18" is so big, it really should be 6" tall to look proportionate (w/a board in the middle at 3" to be served as two separate tiers) and it serves 254 by itself.  Is there any reason they can't have a 4-tier cake?  I'd make a 16" x 14" x 10" x 6" for 228 servings, and make an additional 6" anniversary tier for their freezer.

I think you're absolutely right. I'm going to show the bride later today the sizing of the tiers. The reason why they wanted 3 tiers is because they want each tiers's design to represent the 3 years they were dating. 

Matrishyoshka Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 5:59pm
post #11 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by 810whitechoc 

That shape with a 12" top tier will definitely look weird, a bit like a footstool.  Have you shown the bride what her cake will look like, if you point that out to her she might change her mind about the 3 tier limit.

I will show her today what her cake will look like. Looking at the sketches i've made, the cake looks bare at the top with a 12 inch. Kind of like it's incomplete. Hopefully she will change her mind. Thank you c:

Gator Gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gator Gal Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 6:45pm
post #12 of 15

ADo a 6 in take away cake on the side with a cute cake stand. You can still put the topper on the main cake.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 1:21am
post #13 of 15

I'm with everyone else who says it will look weird. And that giving someone a 12"tier to save for an anniversary is crazy, how are they planning on saving that? Are they going to have 65 people over for year-old anniversary cake? Weird.

I'd tell them that you have to have more tiers, or that you can do sheet cakes to supplement a normal-sized three tier cake, 6-10-14 AT THE MOST. Anything else is going to look really squat. Also, if they have 230 guests there you probably only need about 170-180 servings to serve, since not everyone has the cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Dec 2014 , 3:17am
post #14 of 15

........I'd tell them that you have to have more tiers, or that you can do sheet cakes to supplement a normal-sized three tier cake, 6-10-14 AT THE MOST. Anything else is going to look really squat.......

Yes yes what she ^^^ said.  This is where you the professional must educate the public and tell them - better yet show them using dummy or pans - that it won't look right at all.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 6 Dec 2014 , 11:43pm
post #15 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

I'm with everyone else who says it will look weird. And that giving someone a 12"tier to save for an anniversary is crazy, how are they planning on saving that? Are they going to have 65 people over for year-old anniversary cake? Weird.

I didn't think of this, that sure is one intimate anniversary haha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%