Normal Turn/lead Time For A Full Sheet Cake (24 X 18)...

Decorating By smrgrl13 Updated 25 Nov 2014 , 7:50am by smrgrl13

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 9:17pm
post #31 of 40

AI'm fully aware of the size of a full sheet cake. Our cakes are delivered to us fresh baked as a full sheet (18 x 24) and we cut them down to half and quarter sheets as needed for orders. I have never actually made a 2 layer (as in, two 2" sheet cakes torted and stacked) but I would be open to it if a customer requested. Frankly, I find $850 astronomical for a full sheet, at least in my city. That's fondant, tiered wedding cake money here.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 10:26pm
post #32 of 40

my sheet cake sizing comments were directed at op -- 

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 10:29pm
post #33 of 40

A^ K8, my comment was in response to leah_s saying she's seen stores calling a half sheet a full sheet. Anyway, I think OP has gotten her info and this thread is going in circles, so I'm out.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 10:34pm
post #34 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naivohw 

Frankly, I find $850 astronomical for a full sheet, at least in my city. That's fondant, tiered wedding cake money here.

I find that really high too, but that's because we're not Leah!  You gotta "earn" that kind of money through years of hard work and and an incredible reputation.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 1:28am
post #35 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastrybaglady 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naivohw 

Frankly, I find $850 astronomical for a full sheet, at least in my city. That's fondant, tiered wedding cake money here.

I find that really high too, but that's because we're not Leah!  You gotta "earn" that kind of money through years of hard work and and an incredible reputation.

Hmmm I was thinking that myself @Pastrybaglady.  High quality High end super decorators deserve the prices that they receive.  I do not.  And I'm perfectly contented with that.  Why you ask.  Because I'm a lazy git, that isn't willing to put the time, effort, labor, skill, knowledge, training, business savvy etc into my baking.  More importantly I don't possess the artistic, design, creative talents either.  Leah has earned every penny of it.;-D

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 2:39pm
post #36 of 40

AI do torte sheet cakes and layer them - just like any other cake. I learned years ago from Indy Debi that the shape of the cake does not change its price, therefore a sheet cake is charged just like any other. Generally customers will opt for a lovely, designed, tiered cake instead. But for ease of serving some customers want the sheet style. Cake for 216 people, is cake for 216 people, no matter the shape. And thank you for the lovely comments. I'm mainly retired from cakes, but it was a *very* good business.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 22 Nov 2014 , 3:49pm
post #37 of 40

Most bakers would want a couple week notice and a deposit a few weeks ahead of time though.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 23 Nov 2014 , 1:43am
post #38 of 40

I'll add your generosity of spirit with all the free advice you give here as well. You've earned your kudo's and any price your cakes went for babygirl x

AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 7:39am
post #39 of 40

At a well known bakery where I used to work, a full sheet cake with lemon curd (3 layers cake, 2 layers filling, 3.5 inches high) ran $136. To add a 4th layer of cake/3rd layer of filling, it would add another $45... so $181. 

Everything was scratch made - cake, lemon curd, IMBC and we were considered an "expensive" bakery.

We needed 2 days lead time for a cake that size with that filling....but keep in mind, we made hundreds of cakes every week and kept unfilled sheet cakes and lemon curd well stocked (it was a standard cake/filling combo sold in our cake case year round). 

For a kitchen cake (4 layers cake/3 filling/4" high) to supplement a wedding cake, a full sheet would be $400 out of my kitchen and I'd need a week lead time. No decorations, just iced smooth with bead or shell border - and only in conjunction with a more expensive tiered display cake though. 

I wish I could get what Leah can!! =)  - I wouldn't even know what a kitchen cake is if it wasn't for her..

smrgrl13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smrgrl13 Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 7:50am
post #40 of 40

Everyone has been so helpful!  I really appreciate all of the info.  I don't do this as a business, only as favors for friends and family as I do enjoy it.  However, there has been a "hiccup" with a friend, so that is why I made the original post.  

It sure is interesting how thoughts vary, but with most being on the same page.

Again, all of the information provided is of great value to me.

Thanks!

J~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%