Changing A Gingerbread Recipe To A Vanilla Cookie Recipe

Baking By Sweet Affection Updated 16 Nov 2014 , 6:05pm by -K8memphis

Sweet Affection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet Affection Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 9:25am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I have 4 gingerbread houses to make by Friday, but 2 need to be vanilla not gingerbread, Does anyone know if it is possible to leave out the ground ginger and allspice for a gingerbread recipe and just add vanilla extra to make a vanilla cookie. The gingerbread recipe also has molasses but I can change that to golden syrup which isnt as dark, but just wondering if I'd get a good result for a vanilla cookie.

thanks in advance

6 replies
cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 10:20am
post #2 of 7

My 2 cents, I wouldn't add extract (liquid) I'd use vanilla sugar, made by immersing seeds or pods in caster sugar. The structure of the house means that the dough has to have the same consistency as your recipe or it wont "build" just spread all over the pan. It will also bake a different colour... if that's important?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 7

Is this for a customer? It might be best to make a test batch.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 7

Ai've never done it well maybe i did once but i don't exactly remember what it tasted like -- but sure you can leave out the spice -- and i know for sure you can sub honey for the molasses with great results -- as for a good flavor, vanilla should be fine -- using honey will give you a stronger product even than using the molasses --

please share your results -- best to you

-K8memphis Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 7

Abut see you are trying to reinvent the wheel a bit -- you want a good cookie to make into a house -- i think i'd make thick large bricks out of never fail cookie dough and build the house around a cake or something -- construction dough is different -- idk

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

but see you are trying to reinvent the wheel a bit -- you want a good cookie to make into a house -- i think i'd make thick large bricks out of never fail cookie dough and build the house around a cake or something -- construction dough is different -- idk

That sounds a brilliant idea K8! I'm going for a cabin in the woods theme this year with little logs of cookie dough stuck to the main walls......but now I fancy bricks?

-K8memphis Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 7

cb2 -- go for it -- you are way ahead of me -- but i only meant like thick flat faced rectangular cookies but i'm looking forward to what you're gonna do -- either the log cabin or the brick -- oh man now you got me thinking -- 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%