Wrong, Wrong,wrong.

Decorating By cazza1 Updated 26 Nov 2014 , 3:12am by sweettooth101

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 23 Nov 2014 , 1:56am
post #91 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniemog 

Yes pecans are divine, but they're so expensive in Australia I have to choose between a university education for my children and pecans for me.....

And as @cakebaby2 says, don't get between a mother and her pecans....

And don't worry, I'm sure my kids will be fine, surely they can sell themselves to buy that fancy education!

I applaud your sensible parenting Wimmiemog.

Of an evening I'd gather my young comely brood about me and encourage the vote as who would have to go to a rich American family that Mother may eat another week.

The results were interesting and varied depending on who had erred that week..and against whom.

Suffice to say  I never sold one yet..but it stiffened their spines, Mother was never deprived of her little treats and I believe they are all doing well and still in the Old Country, having avoided the Kind American Rich People who may have given them a palatial home.

There was only one little sneak who habitually volunteered as long as she got her own pony.

She knows who she is...and she's still paying that one off x

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 23 Nov 2014 , 3:04am
post #92 of 118

A

Original message sent by cakebaby2

She knows who she is...and she's still paying that one off x

Spectacular parenting right there! I believe that the most important things that I have taught my children are irony, sarcasm and that a sharp wit will get you a very long way in life.

And of course they learned the lesson early that cake solves everything.

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 23 Nov 2014 , 3:13am
post #93 of 118

Cazza , I only do the choccy ganache if the cake is to be eaten within  a few weeks. I did it for the wedding as I knew it was to be cut and eaten at the wedding and not put away for a year or so , for the anniversary or first bub's christening. 

Winnie , Aldi has pecans I got some today and they were reasonably priced. I love pecans, I can remember as a child wanting a big  bag of pecans in their shell at a roadside farm stall , I sat for hours out on the back step with a hammer bashing those little brown stripey delights open with a hammer.    Mmmmmm. 

Cakebaby, I suspect if given the choice I may have been the one to volunteer , if I could have had a pony and a swimming pool of course. 

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 23 Nov 2014 , 3:18am
post #94 of 118

Our raisins are big and need to be chopped.  They are twice the size of our sultanas.

MB I don't know if I mentioned but I wrap my cake tin in several layers of newspaper (tied on with string) and put newspaper underneath and over the top to stop the outside over cooking.  I remove the top newspaper after the first hour or so depending on the size of the cake I am making.  It does make for much slower cooking but is well worth it.  Or you can bake it in a cardboard box.  I did that a couple of weeks ago as I had a pile of little cakes and could not be bothered  wrapping each separately.  I carved them up yesterday and they cooked beautifully.

Winniemog my Dad loved boiled steam pudding, after Christmas, fried in butter and with a fried egg on top.  We thought it was disgusting.  Now I just think it's a waste a good pudding and if you really want to eat it for brekkie then go ahead and have it with custard.  Better for your health too.  I think people are too hung up about eating dessert in the morning.  Cheesecake, for example, for breakfast is delicious and full of dairy.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Nov 2014 , 3:26am
post #95 of 118

Cazza1 I'll do that wrapping. thanks.

ps:  as I love the cheesecake that I make for myself, and hubby does not eat sweets.  My secret is to cut individual pieces, freeze the whole thing, then take it out of the freezer and wrap each frozen piece in a bit of plastic wrap. Throw it back in the freezer and pull out pieces and eat them FROZEN.  It's just like eating an egg custard frozen ice cream.  Sometimes......just sometimes I pull out a piece and let it thaw, but not often.

winniemog Posted 23 Nov 2014 , 5:41am
post #96 of 118

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

I love the cheesecake ...... FROZEN.  It's just like eating an egg custard frozen ice cream. 

That reminds me of one of my favourite ice creams - also like a frozen eggy custard - I make zabaglione, the whisked Italian egg froth flavoured with Marsala wine, and then I freeze that in my ice cream machine. It is extra amazing with hot chocolate pudding cakes which have Marsala-soaked raisins in the batter. Yum!

winniemog Posted 23 Nov 2014 , 7:45pm
post #97 of 118

A

Original message sent by cazza1

ifyou have any leftover fruitcake, or offcuts you can whiz it up with some alcohol to a paste and fill your holes with that.  Much quicker, but you do have to be careful you don't make your paste too wet or it can move when you are applying your fondant.

I meant to say thanks for this brilliant tip. Last week I made some igloo cakes and had to carve fruit cakes for the first time, and ended up with quite a bit of mushed up cake that I just used to smooth the outer curved surface of the cake before fondanting. It worked an absolute treat. And then I look at this thread, and there you are telling me to do exactly that! I think I'll be using this idea over and over, anything to make life easier!

cakebaby2 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 1:06am
post #98 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Cazza1 I'll do that wrapping. thanks.

ps:  as I love the cheesecake that I make for myself, and hubby does not eat sweets.  My secret is to cut individual pieces, freeze the whole thing, then take it out of the freezer and wrap each frozen piece in a bit of plastic wrap. Throw it back in the freezer and pull out pieces and eat them FROZEN.  It's just like eating an egg custard frozen ice cream.  Sometimes......just sometimes I pull out a piece and let it thaw, but not often.

Individual portions?!!!!!! Great tip Ms Alaska, its right up there with freezing leftover booze in ice cube trays ???? xx

cazza1 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 1:14am
post #99 of 118

...and as I think I mentioned earlier boiled Christmas pudding freezes brilliantly into individual portions as well.

winniemog Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 8:25am
post #100 of 118

AI trimmed a fruit cake this afternoon and used the trimmings to pack the holes in the cake as you suggested [@]cazza1[/@], it worked really well.

I would like to take issue with you over a little problem I did have though.....

......you see, I had a few extra cake trimmings left over and I hadn't had any lunch and I was about to collect the kids from school. It turns out those cake trimmings were ***PACKED*** with alcohol, I could feel the burn as I put them in my mouth! So off I crept to my car to drive to school, hoping desperately I wasn't going to be that mother on the news bulletin tonight who had been picked up for drink driving on the school run.....luckily we are all home intact, but there's yet another black mark on my "mother of the year" application.....

cazza1 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:45am
post #101 of 118

Ha, Ha.  I got breathalized once at 3pm (school in Victoria used to finish at 3.30).  I rather bemusedly asked the cop if she ever actually got anyone at that time of day and she laughed and said, "You would not believe how many.  The Mum's go to the pub for lunch and suddenly remember that they have to pick the kids up from school and jump in their cars.

Winniemog I carved all my Christmas cakes into a termite mound so I had heaps of leftover bits.  I was SOOOO well behaved and only had one mouthful as I am on a no cake and no chocolate diet for the moment.  Hubby was rapt when I presented him with all the scraps as we ran out of fruitcake about 4 weeks ago and I won't let him cut the newest decorated one yet.  Its been driving him (or is that really me?) mad having a pile of fruitcakes on the bench that are not allowed to be eaten.

winniemog Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 10:48am
post #102 of 118

AI was breathalysed at 11am last Tuesday while returning my daughter to school from the orthodontist. I couldn't work out why the police were there, and then I realised I was in the side street near Chadstone Shopping Centre and it was the VIP pre-Christmas shopping day where they were giving out free champagne....

Luckily I hadn't had that stiff drink I really needed after seeing the orthodontist's bill!

cakebaby2 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 11:07am
post #103 of 118

You spendthrift Winniemog!

22 guage floral wire and needle nosed pliers a spot of have-a-go wartime spirit and a can do attitude would have saved this horrendous dental bill.

Look at the interesting variations on teeth you you can practice with these simple everyday tools?

The preppy look, the popular "Twilight" look beloved of young girls?

You know there is just bound to be Youtube tutorial on DIY orthodoncy somewhere.

cazza1 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 2:13pm
post #104 of 118

....and you can even get coloured wire so that she can still feel like she is trendy, rather than a home-made geek.

cakebaby2 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 3:55pm
post #105 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

....and you can even get coloured wire so that she can still feel like she is trendy, rather than a home-made geek.

Exactly Cazza, ever thoughtful my dear!

Dont thank us Winniemog its why we're here.

I've got a million of these little tips from cold sores, teenage angst and birth control (for men) all easily accessible by everyday objects lying around the house x 

winniemog Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 7:37pm
post #106 of 118

AHey girls, I was thinking that I could just use lustre dust to give her DIY braces different looks. None of this lashing out spending good money on fancy coloured wires!

And I'm right ahead of you cakebaby2, I was thinking of DIY vasectomies right when you mentioned the needle nosed pliers......

cakebaby2 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:10pm
post #107 of 118

Crude, but yes...effective. My own method utilises various Hoover attachments and an old Ginger Rodgers DVD, but yes the pliers could work. x

MBalaska Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 3:08am
post #108 of 118

My DH who is quite astounded asks me what I’m going to do with 8 fruitcakes.  Me- the MessyBaker, mad scientist, and reincarnation of the Three Stooges answers, that I haven’t got a flippin’ clue!!

I started out with good intentions.  I looked at my fruitcake recipe in the ‘Betty Crocker cookbook’, so it will be American Style.  It’s pretty close to Cazza’s recipe. Thought to myself that it might be too much fruit for so little batter.  I’ll just double the batter recipe (you know like Laurel & Hardy would).

Holy Smokes when I was done mixing my entire 6 quart KA bowl was full & the top of the beater blade was completely immersed and almost invisible.  I had to get out a monstrous sized  bowl to mix all the fruit/nuts into the batter. The huge bowl of rum soaked raisins, cherries, pineapple & pecans just disappeared into the batter like nothing at all.  Ok so I was wrong about the batter amount.  Let’s cook half of the batter, 4 loaves, and see what we got.  When I pulled them out of the oven after 3 hours it was pretty smooth and flat on top.  Those are cooling.  They actually were looking like a cake that could be iced and covered in fondant.  I gave them a big splash of rum while still warm,  what’s next………….hmmmm  dying to taste it.

So I went to the store and got more fruit.  Folded it into the last half of the batter and saved a couple of pieces of fruit/nuts to put on top of the next four loaves.  They are in the oven now.  Well at least I’ll get to test both ways, a cake with a little fruit; and a fruit mix with a little cake holding it together.  I can always use the loaves to build a path to the driveway if these don’t taste good.   Que Sera Sera.

Live & learn, variety is the spice of life, you never know until you try, fingers crossed here.:razz: 

winniemog Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 3:21am
post #109 of 118

AI bet the Messy Baker's house smells good today!

My place smells of gingerbread - I'm making gingerbread macarons today, crazy numbers of them....let me know if your fruitcake path doesn't make it all the way to the driveway and I can send you some delicious stepping stones!

MBalaska Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 3:30am
post #110 of 118

:lol:

MBalaska Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 3:50am
post #111 of 118

fruitcake

the low amount of fruit - fruitcake.  Just cut a piece while still warm.  I love this stuff ;-D  It's mostly cake and reminds me of my date nut bread. I picked up the big bottle of dark rum and poured a bunch on top of the loaves.  The loaf soaked it all up.  the piece that I cut and tasted surprised me as I though it would be wet & soggy from the rum.  It wasn't at all.  It took the rum like a sponge and seemed to evenly disburse it.   Yummy !!

winniemog Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 4:04am
post #112 of 118

ASounds just like a rum baba - super yum! Enjoy your tipple....sorry snack!

MBalaska Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 7:47am
post #113 of 118

Here's the second test batch.  Baked 3 hours at 250 F.  (121 C.)  Lots of green & red cherries, pineapple, rum soaked raisins, & pecans.  I gave it a simple syrup soak instead of rum, while it was just out of the oven and still in the pan. The parchment paper, with no grease at all, did not stick to the loaf.  It is a very nice cake, but not sticky gooey like commercial cakes.  I am in love with this, and may never have to buy one again.  Thank You ladies.   There is nothing in the world like home baking.

fruitcake

I didn't put any spices or flavorings in this.  That's something that I could experiment with next time.  I'll have to do another experiment with this recipe to get it to a 4 loaf product amount.  happy to do so.

cakebaby2 Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 10:06am
post #114 of 118

That cake looks divine MB, my own Christmas cakes are already stored, think I might have to go liberate one right now. x

cazza1 Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 11:14am
post #115 of 118

I agree it looks yum, but my recipe produces a very dark fruitcake that is more fruit than cake.  I personally prefer dark fruit cakes.  Not sure how well the light ones keep, maybe someone can chirp in with an answer.  The dark ones will keep for months and months and months.  That is of course only if you can resist eating them.

cakebaby2 Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 5:27pm
post #116 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

I agree it looks yum, but my recipe produces a very dark fruitcake that is more fruit than cake.  I personally prefer dark fruit cakes.  Not sure how well the light ones keep, maybe someone can chirp in with an answer.  The dark ones will keep for months and months and months.  That is of course only if you can resist eating them.

Yes mine is the same Cazza, its what we like around here. The light ones (more cake than fruit) are known as "last minute fruit cakes" as they are usually baked when we have been too busy to start the Christmas cake in October.

They are both delicious, but I prefer the fruity dark, saturated in brandy ones. They can double as a pudding with cream or ice cream.

cakebaby2 Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 10:42pm
post #117 of 118

Aforementioned quick flaky pastry recipe, 2 hen grouse deposited on my back door this evening, salt, black pepper, handful of cranberries, chives, and lots of parsley. Supper, and it was gorgeous girls.

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 3:12am
post #118 of 118

I like to use this recipe for my cake, it was given to me by an elderly man who was a regular at my store and so I have had it in my book for the past 30 years or so named after him.It is a very easy method. When I want a Lighter version I just reduce the fruit to half the quantity.

Mr Corbett's Fruit cake

6 ounces (3/4 cup)  butter
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup water
3 cups mixed dried fruits----currants, sultanas,raisins
                             handful mixed citrus peel

1 level teaspoon bicarbonate soda

Boil all the above ingredients at low heat for 25 mins. cool and leave overnight or a few hours to cool and soak
Meanwhile prepare an 8'' pan by greasing and lining the bottom and ( outside of pan is wrapped with double parchment or brown paper and taped or tied with string to hold, paper should be wider than pan so it sits higher).

When cool to the mix add;

2 eggs
2 cups flour sifted
1 heaped tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnammon powder
1 tsp ginger powder
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
pinch cloves powder (optional)
2 tsp almond essence
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts ----- walnuts, almond, pecan
1/2 cup cherries cut in 1/4
Mix well.

Pour mixture into prepared pan.
Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hrs or so until skewer comes out clean
ENJOY !!!
optional;
when cool you can sprinkle some boiled and cooled1/4 cup or so apple juice by turning the cake over
to make it moist

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%