Prevent Fondant From Sticking To Surface

Decorating By Sue Dubai Updated 9 Nov 2014 , 3:49am by Sue Dubai

Sue Dubai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sue Dubai Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 4:33am
post #1 of 10

Apologies in advance for my elementary question as I  am merely a novice who bakes for my children. I have difficulty preventing the fondant from sticking to my marble surface despite using corn flour / icing sugar.  I live in Dubai and 'the mat' is not available here. Can anyone provide some tips please. Many thanks 

9 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 4:44am
post #2 of 10

AI use always corn flour and have no problem. Maybe you have to knead more icing sugar into your fondant? With mmf I sometimes use shortening on my work surface, but I find it harder to roll the mmf on a rolling pin to lift it over the cake with shortening. But try it, maybe it works good for you...

Sue Dubai Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 4:55am
post #3 of 10

Thank you Julia1812. I'll keep persevering. I find that the more icing sugar i add , the more the fondant dries out and starts cracking:oops:

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 5:10am
post #4 of 10

You will find the right balance.  I find using the corn flour alone is key.  Sugar just makes it more sticky, it's the corn flour that stiffens and makes the fondant easier to work with.  You only need the outside to be dry enough to roll out and cut. You still want your fondant to be soft and supple.  Add the corn flour to your surface with a light even dusting and then on the top.  Roll a bit and then move the fondant to make sure it doesn't stick.  Apply more corn flour if you need to on either side.  Good luck!

Sue Dubai Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 7:57am
post #5 of 10

Thank you Pastrybaglady. Will give it a try :-)

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 10

AIf you're using a dark coloured fondant eg black or even red, I've seen people use a light spray of cooking spray on the surface to prevent sticking, and it doesn't dry out the fondant or leave a residue that needs to be cleaned up. I've only tried it once, it worked fine.

I think the trick is knowing precisely what your fondant needs - is it too sticky? Or too dry and cracking? That comes from experience. Plus try moving your fondant around on the surface after each roll, that ensures it doesn't have a chance to stick. You may need to add more icing sugar or cornflour while rolling.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 10

I avoid CS & PS all together.  If you have access to vegetable shortening [Trex, Crisco] or cooking spray, that is what I use and it works perfectly.  It won't change the consistency of the fondant at all.

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 2:02am
post #8 of 10

AI roll it out on a piece of vinyl tablecloth, never sticks.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 2:45am
post #9 of 10

The reason I didn't mention vinyl is because it isn't food safe--and the OP mentioned not being able to get The Mat, which is food safe "vinyl".

If you can get Wilton products, the Roll 'n Cut mat is OK.

Perhaps the South African distributor of The Mat would be able to help you, as it's closer to Dubai than the US?

https://www.facebook.com/TheMatSouthAfrica/info

Sue Dubai Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 3:49am
post #10 of 10

Thanks very much @maybenot . I'm actually from South Africa so perhaps I can get someone to get it for me. We do get Wilton products here in Dubai but not a very wide range.. I appreciate all your feedback ladies :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%