Wedding Cake Servings Doubled By Caterer?

Decorating By ashwee7 Updated 7 Aug 2017 , 6:08am by 1universe

ashwee7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashwee7 Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 2:12am
post #1 of 7

I'm hoping someone can help me out. The last two wedding cakes I have made, I have also attended the wedding so I have been able to see how the caterer cuts and serves the cake. All of my cakes are three layers of cake, 2 layers of filling and 4 3/4 - 5 inches tall. I noticed that the caterers were actually cutting the entire tier in half horizontally(cut right through the second layer of cake) and then cutting it into servings.I am a bit confused. This way of cutting it essentially doubles the serving sizes, right? I always thought that servings would be 1x2 and the height of the cake (4-5 inches tall). Has anyone else encountered this? 

6 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 3:17am
post #2 of 7

That's really weird, but there's no way to control how the caterer is going to cut the cake. I always tell the bride how it's supposed to be cut, and tell her that if she sees it's being cut a different thickness or whatever, the serving counts will be off.

I've never seen anyone cut a normal tier in half like that, but I've seen them cut the pieces so thin they're about 1/2" thick. So you'd get more servings out of that tier too.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 3:57am
post #3 of 7

Perhaps it's time you explained to the caterer how to cut the cake?  Print up a sheet giving directions and make sure it is left near (partially under) the cake or given directly to the caterer.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 4:12am
post #4 of 7

You don't have any control how cakes are cut.  But if you are attending the wedding and you see them doing something weird like that I would most certainly politely say something.  Not only are the sizes different but half the people aren't getting any frosting on top. Boo.

1universe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1universe Posted 6 Aug 2017 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 7

I think I see what's going on.  Most charts have standard wedding cake servings at 1X2x3-4".  Your cakes are 4 3/4-5" tall.  I don't know what size dessert plates the caters are using; maybe they're small plates requiring the chart standard size slice.  More likely, I think they're cutting your cake in half horizontally to keep cut slices intact as they are getting plated. Very tall slices tend to fall apart during the 2-second trip to the dessert plate, leaving a mess of broken cake to serve the guests.  Not pretty.  

You can just make shorter cakes that the caterer will cut straight to the bottom.  But I think you like the elegance of tall tiers.   May I suggest that instead of making a 5" tall cake, you make TWO 2 1/2" cakes stacked with a cake board in between (as in the barrel cake method). This way, the caterer will be able to slice in the usual manner  because the caterer's knife will stop at the center cake board. The upper cake will be seeing 0rved, the center board will be removed, and the caterer  proceed to slice the LOWer cake.  I hope this has been helpful to you, ashwee7

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 6 Aug 2017 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 7

Of the few weddings that I have been to, the bride always ordered extra sheet cakes so as to have plenty of cake to go around for those who love cake and want a bigger piece. You guys are making me want some cake!!! I haven't had any cake in a while!!!

1universe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1universe Posted 7 Aug 2017 , 6:08am
post #7 of 7

Actually, I don't think my response will have been at all helpful to you, ashwee7, considering that it's almost 3 years since your original post!!!!  Oh well.... wah wah. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%