Fondant Frills Stuck Directly Onto Dummy?

Decorating By TheSweetTreat Updated 1 Sep 2014 , 4:13am by Claire138

TheSweetTreat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSweetTreat Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 3:27am
post #1 of 8

Hello!

I have a question regarding fondant and dummy cakes.  I am making a 3 tier cake using ALL dummies that is all fondant frills from top to bottom.  Since the area under the frills won't be seen is it necessary to cover each tier in fondant first?  It would save some money to not have to cover the dummies in fondant first just to add a whole load of fondant frills on top.  I am also assuming you won't see any surface area under the frills.

I am trying to figure out if the fondant frills will stick straight to the dummy and then to themselves as I go along.  If so, what is the best solution to make them stick?  Is water sufficient or shortening?

Thank you in advance!!

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 8

Naw......no reason to cover it if it won't be seen.  I say water is the best sticking solution.

TheSweetTreat Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks Kakeladi!  Do you think it's safe to assume that the weight of the fondant frill won't make it fall off the styrofoam just using water?

TheSweetTreat Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 8

Any other opinions??

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 8

You probably need to make those frills as thin as possible and use as little water as possible.  In fact, I think I would brush the water on the styro not the gp - unless you are overlapping the fills even a bit.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 12:13am
post #6 of 8

AI would suggest the opposite actually. Water on the frills, let them get tacky, and then stick. Only a dab of water else they'll just slide off. I've only done them on fondant covered base though, so maybe you could do a trial run with the dummy left plain. But for a 6" round you would only be using about 12oz fondant to cover so it's not that expensive. Covering the dummy first would get the top covered, unless you are doing something frilly up there as well? You could also just cut a circle of fondant and put that on top I guess (if so, I would suggest you do that first, then add the ruffles).

TheSweetTreat Posted 31 Aug 2014 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 8

thankyou!!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 4:13am
post #8 of 8

I agree with Dayti - I recently covered  a 3 tier dummy with 2 of the tiers having frills on them too. Covering them in fondant gets the top covered (as Dayti mentioned) plus water on polystyrene does not stick too well.

I don't know what you need yours for but I only wanted them for photos  work was slow and I wanted to try some new ideas so when I covered them I cut the fondant off of the back of the dummies as it would not be seen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%