My First Stacked Cake - Boy Was That Messy. Argggghhhhh

Lounge By MBalaska Updated 5 Sep 2014 , 4:44pm by MBalaska

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 11:57pm
post #31 of 44

Second try......Whew just finished.   Can't wait to cut into it.   I made cream cheese icing for the filling, vanilla SMBC for the rosettes, best ever banana pudding cake on the bottom, pumpkin pie cake for the top cake...........Glad it's all done.

SMBC Rosettes

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 12:09am
post #32 of 44

wow, looks great -- not letting any grass grow under your feet--tremendous-- looks beautiful!

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 12:36am
post #33 of 44

AVery well done!

MBalaska Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 1:52am
post #34 of 44

It's better, and there's room for improvement.  Thank you for all of your guidance.

Perhaps with practice I'll achieve Dayti's level of steady piping of really round rosettes.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 1:52am
post #35 of 44

AI'm really impressed, isn't it fantastic that you looked at all your issues and corrected them for your second cake. Wish I could do that with my brain that quickly! It's so funny, all your rosettes are the mirror image of mine, but it's because I'm left-handed so I pipe rosettes clockwise!

MBalaska Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 1:59am
post #36 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniemog 

I'm really impressed, isn't it fantastic that you looked at all your issues and corrected them for your second cake. Wish I could do that with my brain that quickly!
It's so funny, all your rosettes are the mirror image of mine, but it's because I'm left-handed so I pipe rosettes clockwise!

It's backwards because we're on opposite ends of the planet, like the toilet swirl.. bwaahaahaa

I've got to try it one more time to get the rosettes round, round, round.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 3:14am
post #37 of 44

AYes mb, I thought it might have been something to do with the Coriolis Effect, but then I realised it was just me, I do everything like that backwards.....

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 2:31pm
post #38 of 44

AAw wow MB, didn't you do well! It's loads better! I can't believe you did it that much better so quickly either! You must be chuffed. :-)

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 3:07pm
post #39 of 44

Very well done to you and I congratulate you on your perseverance!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Perhaps with practice I'll achieve Dayti's level of steady piping of really round rosettes.

I just worked out I have piped over 40,000 cupcakes in the last 4 years I've had my little shop open, so that might have helped a bit (not that I was counting...I only know that because that's how many cupcake liners I have bought and used!)

MBalaska Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 5:53pm
post #40 of 44

"Chuffed" is right Maise 73.  Live and Learn Yes? 

If I had to make 40,000 of them  like Dayti, I'd get better in a Jiffy.

But I'll tell you the one thing that zapped my mind like a lightening bug :?   How the heck do you get it all apart without making even more mess?

I pulled the top layer off to package the separate layers.  Now if it was a fondant covered cake, no problem Bob's your uncle right.  No buttercream or ganache to mess up.   Boy oh Boy, one new thing just leads to more new things.........

Adventure isn't hanging on a rope off the side of a mountain.
Adventure is an attitude that we must apply to the day to day obstacles of life --
facing new challenges, seizing new opportunities, testing our resources against the unknown and in the process,

discovering our own unique potential.

--John Amatt organizer and participant in Canada's
first successful expedition to the summit of Mt Everest.--

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 7:29pm
post #41 of 44

AGorgeous! And sounds delicious

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 7:45pm
post #42 of 44

Yeah I want to see the inside when you cut it, just to check you really used cake and not dummies:-D

Normally I would advocate taking tiered fondant covered cakes apart for the "autopsy", but I think with buttercream it's just easier to serve by cutting the top tier first, then removing the cake board below, and carrying on with the next tier. So it doesn't get bashed about by separating the tiers first (unless you don't mind of course - I certainly don't inspect the side of a cake if I am given a piece, I just dig right in). If you are not in a rush to serve it, you could chill it again to try and remove the top tier with little damage. 

MBalaska Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 10:29pm
post #43 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayti 

Yeah I want to see the inside when you cut it, just to check you really used cake and not dummies:-D

Normally I would advocate taking tiered fondant covered cakes apart for the "autopsy", but I think with buttercream it's just easier to serve by cutting the top tier first, then removing the cake board below, and carrying on with the next tier. So it doesn't get bashed about by separating the tiers first (unless you don't mind of course - I certainly don't inspect the side of a cake if I am given a piece, I just dig right in). If you are not in a rush to serve it, you could chill it again to try and remove the top tier with little damage. 

Yes that makes loads of sense.   Thanks. 

MBalaska Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 4:44pm
post #44 of 44

Oh my sweet Aunt!!  after reading the thread about the silicone bark molds.......

I can't believe what a super bubblehead I can be sometimes.

I just realized that I used the 'wood grain' silicone mold and not the 'bark' silicone mold to make the bark on the modeling chocolate; that I put around the bottom layer.  Self-critique is an ongoing never-ending process.  Might as well laugh :-P

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%