Help Please!!!!

Decorating By skyy815 Updated 25 Jun 2014 , 12:32pm by -K8memphis

skyy815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skyy815 Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 1:49am
post #1 of 10

heres the story...I am do a 2 tiered cake (6" and 10") and a 12X18 Sheet cake for a graduation. All are filled with ganache and fresh picked strawberries. the cakes are due on Saturday. heres my question...I filled the cakes today (Thurday) with both ganache and strawberries and (here comes pregnancy brain, im 31 weeks) my husband is worried that the strawberries may get gooey by Saturday! I did dry them best I could before putting them on the cake but now I'm concerned! was it to soon to put the strawberries in? what would be best now...put the cakes in the freezer or fridge? I was planning on covering the cakes in ganache tomorrow and decorating the sheet cake then decorating the tiered cake on Saturday morning. what do I do? are my cakes gonna be ruined? should I scrape the strawberries out of the cakes? thanks!!

9 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 3:18am
post #2 of 10

I feel so badly for you but yes, you need to remove the strawberries or they'll definitely go gooshy and get slimy by Saturday.  You can put a bit of seedless strawberry jam in place of the fresh strawberries.  Sorry for the bad news but fresh fruit has a wicked short life.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 6:33am
post #3 of 10

I agree with DeniseNH, remove the fresh strawberries, replace with shelf-stable strawberry jam.  I make a LOT of chocolate covered strawberries for friends and family.  Once the berries have been gently and carefully cleaned and left to air dry for 2 hours, there is only a 24 hour window to get them dipped in chocolate, packaged, delivered and eaten by the recipient.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 10

i freeze fresh strawberry filled cakes--they are cut with a nice sharp knife which miraculously reduces weepage and they are encased in whipping cream-- i put a layer of wc on the cake, put my berries (cut small so they serve well) laid out like a mosaic and another layer of whipped cream-- works for me

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 10

I often fill my cakes with whipped heavy cream and lay out sliced strawberries on top. Tested for 3 days, it was fine. Store bought strawberries like Wal Mart`s and Costco`s don`t have much juice in them, I never had weeping strawberries problem. Local,  pick yourself strawberries are different.

RoxieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoxieCakes Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 10

CC responses are sure to dissuade you from any form of fresh fruit if for no other reason than it might work one day and not the next.  Overall, "not the next" is sure to win the more popular answer.  There are several very awesome strawberry filling recipes on CC that I can vouch for as tasting like fresh strawberries but having days - not hours - of shelf life.  If you want a couple of my favorites, holler.  I trusted these solutions enough that I used one for my own daughter's cake if that gives votes of confidence to avoid fresh strawberries, and any fresh fruits for that matter, as a rule of thumb.  Happy Baking --

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoxieCakes 

CC responses are sure to dissuade you from any form of fresh fruit if for no other reason than it might work one day and not the next.  Overall, "not the next" is sure to win the more popular answer.  There are several very awesome strawberry filling recipes on CC that I can vouch for as tasting like fresh strawberries but having days - not hours - of shelf life.  If you want a couple of my favorites, holler.  I trusted these solutions enough that I used one for my own daughter's cake if that gives votes of confidence to avoid fresh strawberries, and any fresh fruits for that matter, as a rule of thumb.  Happy Baking --

roxiecakes, three of the five responses in this thread so far endorse the use of fresh fruit

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 12:33am
post #8 of 10

A

Original message sent by DeniseNH

I feel so badly for you but yes, you need to remove the strawberries or they'll definitely go gooshy and get slimy by Saturday.  You can put a bit of seedless strawberry jam in place of the fresh strawberries.  Sorry for the bad news but fresh fruit has a wicked short life.

You betcha. I won't fill with fresh fruit any sooner than at the last possible moment.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 1:19am
post #9 of 10

If it was just two days, though, and the cakes are refrigerated, and the fruit is encased in ganache, it should be fine.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 12:32pm
post #10 of 10

and use a super sharp knife-- 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%