Stacking The Wedding Cake Night Before??

Decorating By cblizzard Updated 13 Jun 2014 , 7:00pm by karrietg

cblizzard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblizzard Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 8

AI have made my first 3 tier cake for my friends wedding tomorrow. My options are take it to the venue tonight and set up or take it just before the ceremony tomorrow. I would feel really rushed tomorrow to be honest but am worried if I stack it tonight it won't hold? Also the bottom tier is carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, does this need refrigerating or is it ok for 24hrs at room temp? Thanks in advance

7 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 8

If the cake is properly supported, the cake beneath shouldn't be carrying any of the load of the cake on top, so theoretically a stacked cake should be able to be held indefinitely.  I deliver all of my cakes stacked - I use bubble tea straws for support and a center dowel rod for any tiered cake.  And I always refrigerate and travel with the cake cold.

I know this info is coming to you later than you need it, so I hope everything goes (or went) well for you!

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 8

This is actually something I wanted to find out and couldn't find a specific thread for it.

I'm doing my daughters cake 4 tiers and I am also the wedding florist.

The cake and table centrepieces will have to be delivered the night before to the venue as my mother-of-the-bride duties cannot be delegated.

I'm thinking of freezing the fully decorated cakes the week before the wedding, to ease time and transport worries so thanks for your question OP and thanks for the advice cupadee x

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 8

yes what cupadee said--

however--there's a control issue there--are there any ants or any other creepy things in the venue? i could not sleep if my cake was out past curfew--overnight out of my control--gives me the shivers -- strange things happen -- would never do this myself -- 

and no -- cream cheese icing cannot be left out unless it is made with a shelf stable recipe --of course you're gonna be rushed--that's why it's a big deal to say yes to doing cake--

let us know how it went anyhow! best to you--sorry i missed your post--

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 8

cakebaby2--i've done my kids cakes and they know that mob and mog duties are the trade off-- i can't do both and we all knew that-- plus i get my husband too-- he would have no additional duties other than to help me deliver and etc.because i needed a little of my own brain left to try & enjoy the evening--it's a big deal --

and freezing a decorated cake works if you defrost very gradually-- be sure to test this out beforehand to be sure all your variables work out

best mom of the bride cakin' to you plus flowers! 

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks K8, yes I saw a thread on here a couple months back which introduced me to the freezing of decorated cakes so I tried it out defrosting in fridge fully wrapped for 24hrs and then letting it come to room temperature, it worked a charm.

I've made all the gum paste flowers, been doing them about a year so they won't go on until the venue the night before.

I am nervous about it and would have happily bought her a cake but she's a soppy wee thing (fathers side) and she wanted her dear old mum to do her cake so here we are.

It's a big wedding 200 + but there will be four real tiers and a dummy 14" on the bottom plus thanks to the passing comments of the  pro's on here I'll rattle up a couple of sheet cakes for the kitchen.

Then its in the hands of God...after the multitude of toasts to the bride and groom and the flask in my handbag I'll be past caring xx

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 8

oh geez, cakebaby, last time i even had my sweet nephew come all the way from california (2,000 miles) to help me make the cake-- i sent him a kitchen aid mixer for his kindness--'caviar' colored which is black with subtle sparkles in it--that's not really germane to this thread but it was fun anyhow--he's a great cook and budding genius--

so i hope you have some really good supportive understanding help--

it's so exciting/fulfilling to do the kids cakes--but i don't put on my mob/mog hat until i've walked away from the cake table--well maybe i whip it off & on a little like at the rehearsal dinner & dress buying and things like that--but not much mob stuff week of--

:lol: "the flask in your handbag" heheheh--hope all goes well and wonderful-- i know it will

karrietg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karrietg Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 8

AI've stacked on Thursday night for a Saturday wedding a few times. (Gasp. I know) it has been just fine. I use bubble tea straws and insert as many as the tier it Is holding up (if it's holding a 6"cake it gets 6 straws. Overkill I know.). I also use press and seal to prevent the cardboard cake circle from becoming mushy. And I always centre dowel.

With that being said cream cheese needs to go in the fridge unless you used a shelf stable substitute. In fact I would never use cream cheese in a cake that will sit out for any period of time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%