Straight Pins In Cake

Decorating By Marielijah Updated 5 Jun 2014 , 12:00am by costumeczar

Marielijah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marielijah Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 6

When I need to add a ribbon as a border to a cake that has been covered in fondant, can I use a straight pin into the cake to secure the ends?  If no, what can I use to secure the ribbon onto the fondant?  I am thinking edible glue might seep through the ribbon.

5 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 6

APlease don't stick sharp needle like things into a cake. People aren't real bright and might not realize they are there. You can certainly use a little dab of edible glue, or buttercream, or melted chocolate, something. And even if it does bleed a tiny bit, it's a tiny bit, who will really notice?

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 6

AI use double-sided tape and stick the ribbon to the ribbon :-) technically it could move around but i do it tightly and so far, it only moves when I want it to :-)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 6

There's a back to every cake, thank goodness.  "No" to using pins.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 6

..........When I need to add a ribbon as a border to a cake that has been covered in fondant, can I use a straight pin into the cake to secure the ends? ..........

never Never, NEVER!!!  What AZCouture said.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 12:00am
post #6 of 6

I use double-sided tape, or I take a needle and thread and run a straight stitch through the ends of the ribbon then pull it tight so that it's sewn together. That works really well becasue you know the tape won't let loose, but there are no pins etc to poke someone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%