What Would You Charge For This Cake?

Business By aggiewife12 Updated 30 May 2014 , 6:08am by SystemMod1

aggiewife12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiewife12 Posted 28 May 2014 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 34

I am still new to the business, but I'm learning more everyday! I'm obviously not nearly as good as a lot of you, but maybe someday.

Anyways, this was my first "big" wedding cake this past weekend and I'm curious as to what you would charge for this cake. The bride loved (as did her guests) and I am pretty pleased with it (although I do see mistakes).

It was 14", 10" and 8". Bottom tier was vanilla with buttercream and the top two were strawberry with strawberry cream cheese frosting.

It was a shabby chic wedding and the cake fit in perfectly!

I would love to hear what you think.

33 replies
pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiewife12 Posted 28 May 2014 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 34

I have already read that. I am a legal home business. I am just curious as to what other people would charge. Y'all are the pros, I'm still a rookie, so I have lots of room to grow and questions to ask! :)

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 28 May 2014 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 34

AThe thing is is that it's kinda hard to give you a price. Sure I could tell you what I charge but there are soooooooo many factors that are different, so my price may not be right for you. You'll find that people on here are hesitant to just throw out numbers

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 28 May 2014 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 34

AWhat did you charge?

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 28 May 2014 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiewife12 

I have already read that. I am a legal home business. I am just curious as to what other people would charge. Y'all are the pros, I'm still a rookie, so I have lots of room to grow and questions to ask! :)

When I started out I priced my products the way I was taught in school. I had a master copy with the price of everything that I needed to actually produce a cake right down to the packaging and charged the highest price the market where I lived would be willing to pay.

You have to figure in fixed cost like (rent if it applies to you) electricity and other utilities including water. A lot of people have a problem with the multiply by 3 rule but I think it has been taken out of context. The formula I have heard about says to take your cost and multiply by 3 or 4 to come up with your price. It also states that the results could be too low or too high and that you should see what price a cake or other baked product goes for in your area. It goes further to say that if you are offering something unique (high end ingredients or special skills), you can use that to justify your higher price.

You have to research which market you want to target and what makes your products stand out from others. Pricing is not easy and there is no magic formula that works for everyone. You don't want to cheat your self or your customers when you set up your pricing. You definitely don't want to undercut other cakers and bakers in your community. Most of all you want to be able to make a profit and charge what you and your products are worth.

Good Luck!

aggiewife12 Posted 28 May 2014 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

What did you charge?

I charged $250.

aggiewife12 Posted 28 May 2014 , 6:41pm
post #8 of 34

I guess I am more curious as to what this cake would go for elsewhere and by more experienced decorators. I know every market is different and I think experience dictates price somewhat. Just wondering if you were to do this cake what would you charge?

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 28 May 2014 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastrypet 

Please see this notice:

http://cakecentral.com/t/764720/policies-for-posting-the-cake-decorating-business-forum

Isn't your reply in violation of that notice?

OP: I am *not* a business, so my advice isn't worth much.  I assume pricing has a lot to do with where you are located.  Isn't a 14-10-8 approximately 140 servings?  If so, assuming people are charging somewhere around $5-$8/serving in your area, the cake could range from $700 to $1120.

But, again, I don't sell cakes. 

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 28 May 2014 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 34

Where I live for basic BC the cost is anywhere from $3.00 to $4.50 per serving. I charged $3.50 per serving. So a cake that size with just basic BC would start at $434.00.

*probably a little more, I looked at my chart for a 14-10-6 tiered cake.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 28 May 2014 , 6:57pm
post #11 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Hfuhruhurr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrypet 

Please see this notice:

http://cakecentral.com/t/764720/policies-for-posting-the-cake-decorating-business-forum

Isn't your reply in violation of that notice?

Simply pointing someone to a CC policy is a nice, friendly gesture. 

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 28 May 2014 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 34

Quote:

I guess I am more curious as to what this cake would go for elsewhere and by more experienced decorators. I know every market is different and I think experience dictates price somewhat. Just wondering if you were to do this cake what would you charge?

More experienced decorators would have made an entirely different cake. That size of cake would go for around  £500.00 (roughly $1,000 last time I changed money)

cakebaby2 Posted 28 May 2014 , 7:00pm
post #13 of 34

I meant to say that would be a ballpark figure in my local cakery for that size cake.

aggiewife12 Posted 28 May 2014 , 7:04pm
post #14 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakebaby2 

More experienced decorators would have made an entirely different cake. That size of cake would go for around  £500.00 (roughly $1,000 last time I changed money)

Why would more experienced bakers make a different cake if that's what the bride asked for?  I realize I have a few spots where my ruffles aren't perfect, but there is nothing wrong with the overall design of the cake.

cakebaby2 Posted 28 May 2014 , 7:16pm
post #15 of 34

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. The bride was happy, you're happy, but everyone's style is different.

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 28 May 2014 , 7:50pm
post #16 of 34

Everyone is so sensitive about this subject.  I don't think the OP was asking for advice or what she should price it at or how to price. I understood her question to be that she wanted to know what people in other areas are charging for similar art work. I thought it was a simple question. My only question would have been how many servings. I hate it that newbies can't ask questions any more without being scolded for being inexperienced or show the door to the legal issues. BTW, pretty cake!

aggiewife12 Posted 28 May 2014 , 7:58pm
post #17 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkltll 

Everyone is so sensitive about this subject.  I don't think the OP was asking for advice or what she should price it at or how to price. I understood her question to be that she wanted to know what people in other areas are charging for similar art work. I thought it was a simple question. My only question would have been how many servings. I hate it that newbies can't ask questions any more without being scolded for being inexperienced or show the door to the legal issues. BTW, pretty cake!

Yes, that's what I was asking. Maybe there needs to be a forum for new decorators and one for experienced ones. Doesn't everyone want feedback and on their work? If not and if you don't want to help others then why be on a forum?

cakebaby2 Posted 28 May 2014 , 8:02pm
post #18 of 34

I didn't understand you wanted feedback on your cake, I thought you were talking price. Apologies. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2014 , 8:10pm
post #19 of 34

130 times $4 so just over $500

i guess shabby chic is my favorite style--i personally don't care for letter perfect competition worthy cakes unless it's a competition cake--and i can do letter perfect--just not my favorite--

i like it because it doesn't take itself too seriously and the percentage of shabby to chic can vary--

i love your ombre--great first wedding cake--congrats

cakebaby2 Posted 28 May 2014 , 8:18pm
post #20 of 34

The OP must have removed her post under dkltll? That was the one I was replying to about feedback?

MimiFix Posted 28 May 2014 , 8:24pm
post #21 of 34
Quote:

I didn't understand you wanted feedback on your cake, I thought you were talking price. Apologies. 

I don't think you need to apologize for posting. The thread is titled What would you charge for this cake? From that title it seemed that the OP was asking for pricing help.

cakebaby2 Posted 28 May 2014 , 8:37pm
post #22 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

I don't think you need to apologize for posting. The thread is titled What would you charge for this cake? From that title it seemed that the OP was asking for pricing help.

I know but the OP has removed a post re feedback where she quoted dkltll and that was the one I was replying to.

Makes no sense now. 

MimiFix Posted 28 May 2014 , 9:07pm
post #23 of 34
Quote:

... the OP has removed a post re feedback where she quoted dkltll and that was the one I was replying to. Makes no sense now. 

These pricing threads often make no sense :wink: 

AZCouture Posted 28 May 2014 , 9:12pm
post #24 of 34

AGood grief.

AZCouture Posted 28 May 2014 , 9:19pm
post #25 of 34

ASo to get back to the price...do you usually charge that little? I know you said first big wedding cake, but it doesn't really matter what the occasion is for.

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 28 May 2014 , 9:27pm
post #26 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

These pricing threads often make no sense :wink: 

And sometimes it magically disappears:roll:

MimiFix Posted 28 May 2014 , 9:47pm
post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by thecakewitch 

And sometimes it magically disappears:roll:

I saw that, too. All in a night's work. And I must say, it was well done! 

yoyocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yoyocakes Posted 28 May 2014 , 10:11pm
post #28 of 34

I think its a great cake. 

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 28 May 2014 , 10:21pm
post #29 of 34
Quote:

I charged $250.

In my area it would be from $ 2.00 per serving to 3.50 per serving, buttercream icing, buttercream decorations.

I haven`t started real cake decorating business yet, I am only working on my pricing, practicing  to decorate.

But even at the prices I have right now it would be $ 350.00.

Quote:

I charged $250.

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 29 May 2014 , 1:46am
post #30 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkltll 

..... I hate it that newbies can't ask questions any more without being scolded for being inexperienced or show the door to the legal issues.....

I was not scolding and I was not forcing legal issues. I was simply following the instructions of SystemMod1:

http://cakecentral.com/t/776575/pricing-rules-reminder

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%