What Would You Charge?

Business By RMBCakes Updated 1 May 2014 , 4:19am by howsweet

ugcjill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ugcjill Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 9:31pm
post #31 of 69

With the prolifieration of cake shows and internet commerce, plus the opening of cottage food industry to more areas than ever before, two worlds are colliding right now: the professional bakery and the neighborhood cake lady.

Professional bakeries have always had a place in the community, many established locations have trained their children in the family business, others have come from a more entrepreneurial background and started up a business using bank money (which required a lot of hard numbers to get that loan).

The neighborhood cake lady baked cakes on the side, sold them for pocket money to friends and family, along with the lady who did your dress alterations, the man down the block who knew a thing or two about cars, and the high school girl who babysat. These people were the community.

Now, bread and cakes come from chain supermarkets. Bakeries have stepped it up to keep the income. Neighborhood cake ladies think they should only charge the same as the supermarket they get their cakes from, but they want to make beautiful cakes like they see on tv, and now they can have a "business" too, because they can upload pics to facebook. Boom. Business. Despite not spending any time working out the numbers, like you need to do to secure a bank loan.

So advice is sought on a forum for professionals, but this is not the place to learn how to run a business. There are basic economic principles that we can't summarize in a quick answer. I can give an estimate in 30 seconds, but it took me a year of bookkeeping and running financials to learn how to do that, and that was after a lot of business classes.

If you love baking and decorating cakes, for the love of God, don't go into a business selling cakes. If you try to make money doing what you love, you learn to hate it. If you have a skill, find a way to capitalize on it, but keep what you love strictly as a hobby.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 9:33pm
post #32 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by as you wish 

enga, I have seen loads of regular member give just the excellent kind of advice you are talking about. There has been an abundance of great information about pricing from howsweet, DeliciousDesserts, costumeczar, AZcouture and mimifix to name just a few off the top of my head. Their information has been consistent, clear and kind, in my humble opinion. icon_smile.gif

Awww...someone does see!  Warmed my lil heart to know you noticed.

It's difficult to continue to offer the very long, detailed answer.  It becomes even more difficult when I am accused of being harsh or rude or condescending when my real motive is to help.  Just last week, someone took my heartfelt answer and called me patronizing.  I can only stick my hand on that hot stove so many times.

Luckily, Howsweet continues to trudge through the muck.  With the strength and determination of a medic on the shore of Normandy, she answers almost every pricing question.  The wounded knock her on the head, call her names, and fight her every step of the way not wanting to hear the real answers.  They just want the morphin of a quick answer not realizing that the pain will return until they truly cure the cause.

Sometimes, I think of just typing out a standard answer to copy and paste.  Other times I consider throwing out a number knowing that my answer is not the same for someone of a different skill set (better or worse).

Le Sigh.  

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 9:42pm
post #33 of 69

The foggy 'Cloud of Courtesy' that I wrote about before.  Warm, vague, comforting, soothing. but it masks the hard facts, clouds clear vision, and prevents any forward movement towards the truth. and when you blow off the fog you're called names.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 10:46pm
post #34 of 69

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

It's difficult to continue to offer the very long, detailed answer.  It becomes even more difficult when I am accused of being harsh or rude or condescending when my real motive is to help.  Just last week, someone took my heartfelt answer and called me patronizing.  I can only stick my hand on that hot stove so many times.

Luckily, Howsweet continues to trudge through the muck.  With the strength and determination of a medic on the shore of Normandy, she answers almost every pricing question.  The wounded knock her on the head, call her names, and fight her every step of the way not wanting to hear the real answers.  They just want the morphin of a quick answer not realizing that the pain will return until they truly cure the cause.

Sometimes, I think of just typing out a standard answer to copy and paste.  Other times I consider throwing out a number knowing that my answer is not the same for someone of a different skill set (better or worse).

Le Sigh.  

You bet I notice! :) You offer great advice and I have never read a remotely unkind word from you. And howsweet's persistence truly amazes me! Your "medic on the shore of Normandy" comparison is apt!

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 11:12pm
post #35 of 69

Okay take my name out of the POST THAT I WROTE, take the malice that you might feel for me and think about the people asking the pricing questions (and guess what? there will be more). Yes there are members that give excellent advice. There also are members who give great advice if you can read through the bitterness and self righteous crap. Which begs the question do you really want to help the OP or do you just like to keep up drama and push peoples buttons until they snap and the thread gets locked? Which helps nobody because all the really good advice disappears.

You don't like or agree with my posts, I get that, get in line. I have a right to post my opinions just like you do whether you agree with it or not.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 11:15pm
post #36 of 69

AStop screaming, you sound like a hysterical ninny. And you're right, I don't like you one single bit, I think you're a sappy attention seeking twit, who likes to scream bully and start drama where there is none. With all due respect, get a life.

AZCouture Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 11:16pm
post #37 of 69

AI mean really Enga, this thread was perfectly fine until YOU posted your...whatever that was supposed to be.

AZCouture Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 11:18pm
post #38 of 69

AAnd what the hell are you even babbling about?!

enga Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 11:19pm
post #39 of 69
Your advice and professionalism to help to the OP is really shiny through, keep up the good work ;-D

DeliciousDesserts Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 11:26pm
post #40 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by enga 

Okay take my name out of the POST THAT I WROTE, take the malice that you might feel for me and think about the people asking the pricing questions (and guess what? there will be more). Yes there are members that give excellent advice. There also are members who give great advice if you can read through the bitterness and self righteous crap. Which begs the question do you really want to help the OP or do you just like to keep up drama and push peoples buttons until they snap and the thread gets locked? Which helps nobody because all the really good advice disappears.

You don't like or agree with my posts, I get that, get in line. I have a right to post my opinions just like you do whether you agree with it or not.

To whom are you speaking?

AZCouture Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 11:26pm
post #41 of 69

AYou got it sweet pea, and don't forget to keep being demanding, attention seeking you. It's highly entertaining to see your bizarre rants. Cheers!

AZCouture Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 11:28pm
post #42 of 69

A

To whom are you speaking?

Apparently the one WHO DARED TO USE HER NAME.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 11:30pm
post #43 of 69

Quote:

mal·ice

[mal-is]  Show IPA

noun

desire to inflict injury, harm, or suffering on another, either because of a hostile impulse or out ofdeep-seated meanness: the malice and spite of a lifelong enemy.

Law. evil intent on the part of a person who commits a wrongful act injurious to others.

Really?!  Malice?  Sure some people may disagree with you or your manner or many of the things you say.  They may contradict you or even debate you, but malice?  I doubt VERY seriously that ANYONE here wishes injury, harm, or suffering on anyone else. To state that someone here is genuinely mean?  

enga Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 11:34pm
post #44 of 69

We should keep our emotions out of this thread, how one personally feels about another person should never be involved. I feel that we should all strive to treat others as we want to be treated. 

If you are annoyed by what I post then maybe you should ignore them or block me. I have not disrespected you in any way nor have I called you names. As I have said before, I have a right to post my opinions just like every else.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 11:40pm
post #45 of 69

A

Original message sent by enga

Seriously though, to whom are you speaking here? Me? Did I offend you by saying that I thought there was a lot of great info in these threads?

enga Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 11:40pm
post #46 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

Quote:

mal·ice

[mal-is]  Show IPA

noun

desire to inflict injury, harm, or suffering on another, either because of a hostile impulse or out ofdeep-seated meanness: the malice and spite of a lifelong enemy.

Law. evil intent on the part of a person who commits a wrongful act injurious to others.

Really?!  Malice?  Sure some people may disagree with you or your manner or many of the things you say.  They may contradict you or even debate you, but malice?  I doubt VERY seriously that ANYONE here wishes injury, harm, or suffering on anyone else. To state that someone here is genuinely mean?  

With all do respect DeliousDesserts, what would you call it?  Anyway, I believe that it has been proven. I don't want to discuss it any further if you don't mind. 

bilbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bilbo Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 11:46pm
post #47 of 69

Quote:

We should keep our emotions out of this thread, how one personally feels about another person should never be involved. I feel that we should all strive to treat others as we want to be treated. 

If you are annoyed by what I post then maybe you should ignore them or block me. I have not disrespected you in any way nor have I called you names. As I have said before, I have a right to post my opinions just like every else.

Follow your own advice and stop derailing threads, self proclaimed most "hated" member of cc. Remember that thread?  Go stomp off again to your corner and spin, spin, spin your next calculated comment.

fu·tile
ˈfyo͞otl,-ˌtil/
adjective
adjective: futile
  1. incapable of producing any useful result; pointless.
    "a futile attempt to keep fans from mounting the stage"
    synonyms: fruitlessvainpointlessuselessineffectualineffectiveinefficacious, to no effect, of no use, in vain, to no avail, unavailing;
DeliciousDesserts Posted 1 May 2014 , 12:02am
post #48 of 69

Quote:

YOU Should take your own advice.  On all your very valid points.

Yes, you have called names.  On more than one occasion, I have seen you refer to someone as a "Bully", "Self righteous", "Bitter."  I'm sure if I went to read all of your posts I would find more.  Sometimes, you come right on out with calling the names.  Most times, you simply infer them with that sweet sugar in your mouth pretending to promote equality.  The sad truth is that you only want people to express opinions with which you agree or in a way with which you agree.  If someone says something you don't like or in a way that YOU deem unkind, you are all over them.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion.  We are entitled to ours.  We are entitled to disagree.  We all have a different style. It's disengeinious to lead the charge of kindness while jabbing someone else at every turn.

P.S. I am not stopping for spell check.  I'm far too hot!

enga Posted 1 May 2014 , 12:09am
post #49 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by as you wish 

Quote:

Seriously though, to whom are you speaking here? Me? Did I offend you by saying that I thought there was a lot of great info in these threads?

No I wasn't referring to your post and no, you didn't offend me. I guess I was just saying, in general.  I was merely agreeing with someones post when I first replied to this thread. I guess I should not have quoted anyone, I should have just said straight out that there are many ways to figure out what to charge for your products.One way does not work for all. But who's to say that it wouldn't have started an argument too. When figuring out how to price your products, you should follow certain guidelines that other members have mentioned. But initially you have to do what works best for you, and no one can tell you that.

I wish you luck OP in figuring that out. Htht 

http://www.inc.com/guides/price-your-products.html

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 May 2014 , 12:19am
post #50 of 69

Haaaaayyyyy that's right......."Block me."........ Thanks for the reminder.

pettifogging, attention seeking, argumentative, frivolous....  ►  BLOCKED :judge:

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 1 May 2014 , 12:28am
post #51 of 69

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

Apparently the one WHO DARED TO USE HER NAME.

LOL!

enga Posted 1 May 2014 , 12:44am
post #52 of 69

Quote:

Quote:

YOU Should take your own advice.  On all your very valid points.

Yes, you have called names.  On more than one occasion, I have seen you refer to someone as a "Bully", "Self righteous", "Bitter."  I'm sure if I went to read all of your posts I would find more.  Sometimes, you come right on out with calling the names.  Most times, you simply infer them with that sweet sugar in your mouth pretending to promote equality.  The sad truth is that you only want people to express opinions with which you agree or in a way with which you agree.  If someone says something you don't like or in a way that YOU deem unkind, you are all over them.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion.  We are entitled to ours.  We are entitled to disagree.  We all have a different style. It's disengeinious to lead the charge of kindness while jabbing someone else at every turn.

P.S. I am not stopping for spell check.  I'm far too hot!

Where did you see me post specific names to a specific person except for ApplegumPam. I called her a bully for  posting a pic of an insect that specifically hunts and eventually kills certain types of spiders after I tried to join in the selfie game everyone was playing. How would you feel if some one did that to you? Being bitter and self righteous can be considered forms of being not a just a name.

Continuously saying that under cutters are the main reason the market is saturated can be seen as bitter and thinking that no ones advice is good enough can be seen as self righteous, did I lie,no. It's my opinion. I didn't specifically call anyone a name. If someone feels like I was specifically talking about them, what is that saying about them? I feel like have been called everything on this site but a child of God. Can I say that they were specifically talking to me? No. Certain people who have called me names were specifically talking to me by stating my name. Do I take offense to that? Yes.

You can get hot, you have every right to feel any way you want to feel, so do I. But I refuse to let you or anyone else make me out to be something I'm not. Or to upset me anymore. Because you are going to feel a certain way whether I'm upset or not. I have a right to stand up for myself and my opinions how ever different they are from yours. So say what you will, it's your opinion and it does not validate who I am as a person.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 1 May 2014 , 12:56am
post #53 of 69

I am rubber.  You are glue.

Seriously!  

No, you didn't say "X is a bully" but you did make a blanket statement about people who "blah blah blah are bullies."

I'm just saying that what's good for the goose ought to be good for the gander.

Furthermore, just about quoting someone and then saying that you weren't talking about anyone specific is, again, disingenuous.  We all know who you mean.

Honestly, I have never had anything against you.  I've never thought ill of you.  As of late, it seems you look for a fight when there isn't one.  It's as though you want to cause trouble and stir the pot.  I just don't understand it.  If what you want is for us all to get along, why not start as the example.  You want us to give the benefit of the doubt but don't offer the same leniency.

Oh yes let's please split hairs that saying someone is bitter is not the same as calling names.  Ok.  It's a judgement.  It's not nice.

You always want for people to think of how it will make others feel, but it seems you don't have the same capability to do that for many members on the site.  That is hypocritical.  Notice I am not calling you a hypocrite.  I am saying that some of the things you type are contradictory to how you want us to behave.

I want all the bickering to stop.  I generally try to post in a manner to calm the situation.  Do you really think you do the same?  Do you review some of your posts and truly not see how it can be considered instigative?

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 1 May 2014 , 1:40am
post #54 of 69

A

Le Sigh.  

Oh my gosh, I think that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me in a long time. Thank you from the bottom of my heart :oops::smile:

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 1 May 2014 , 1:42am
post #55 of 69

AEnga, was it you who felt like singing that song true colors back in January? I have screenshots somewhere on my computer, but I'll have to hunt them down.

enga Posted 1 May 2014 , 2:06am
post #56 of 69

Quote:

I am rubber.  You are glue.

Seriously!  

No, you didn't say "X is a bully" but you did make a blanket statement about people who "blah blah blah are bullies."

I'm just saying that what's good for the goose ought to be good for the gander.

Furthermore, just about quoting someone and then saying that you weren't talking about anyone specific is, again, disingenuous.  We all know who you mean.

Honestly, I have never had anything against you.  I've never thought ill of you.  As of late, it seems you look for a fight when there isn't one.  It's as though you want to cause trouble and stir the pot.  I just don't understand it.  If what you want is for us all to get along, why not start as the example.  You want us to give the benefit of the doubt but don't offer the same leniency.

Oh yes let's please split hairs that saying someone is bitter is not the same as calling names.  Ok.  It's a judgement.  It's not nice.

You always want for people to think of how it will make others feel, but it seems you don't have the same capability to do that for many members on the site.  That is hypocritical.  Notice I am not calling you a hypocrite.  I am saying that some of the things you type are contradictory to how you want us to behave.

I want all the bickering to stop.  I generally try to post in a manner to calm the situation.  Do you really think you do the same?  Do you review some of your posts and truly not see how it can be considered instigative?

I could care less what you or anyone else thinks or feels about me. You can go ahead and search my post. Sure, you will find posts of me trying to defend people that I thought members were being rude and mean to and me trying to defend myself. You will never find one of me being rude to someone for asking a question.

I was passionate about defending others who I felt at that time were out numbered and being attacked. And I gave as much as I got. Was I wrong? Yes. Was it being an instigator, well it depends on how you look at it, maybe. I will admit it that it could have been done in a different way. I could have kept my mouth closed and just flagged the post. I paid for it by earning infractions. While I was banned I had time to think about what this site means to me and if I still wanted to be apart of it I would have to change. So I did, but I see that a few of you will never let me forget about it.  And that's okay but I'm not going to let you make me feel bad about it. 

enga Posted 1 May 2014 , 2:12am
post #57 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

Enga, was it you who felt like singing that song true colors back in January? I have screenshots somewhere on my computer, but I'll have to hunt them down.

The only song a sang was by Jennifer Hudson "You're going to love me". Oh and and a videos of her and Whoopie Goldberg from "The Color Purple".  So by all means, search but remember you have past documented posts too ;-D

enga Posted 1 May 2014 , 2:18am
post #58 of 69

Besides I think you guys secretly love me or love to hate me. Either way, like I said, I'm not going.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 1 May 2014 , 2:45am
post #59 of 69

enga Posted 1 May 2014 , 2:47am
post #60 of 69

YEAH, I LOVE YOU TOO PAM! :lol:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%