Help ! Dab Lace Icing

Decorating By Kamillalykke Updated 17 Apr 2014 , 1:42am by gscout73

Kamillalykke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kamillalykke Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 6

Hey,

I bought DAB Lace icing for my wedding cake which my friend is gonna make. She tried it the other day and it was difficult to put on the mold and when it sat it got hard. Have anyone else tried this ? What to do !? Please help if you know this product

- Kamilla

5 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 6

Yes, I too tried and hated DAB.  I tried putting a lot of Crisco in it and even that didn't work.  So I put water on my fingers and kneaded that in then put the DAB blob into the microwave to soften it - just a few seconds and was finally able to make some lace with it but yes, it dries immediately - just like gumpaste.  So you need to have the cake you're working on right there so you can apply the lace immediately.  Sugarveil also dries hard so I tried Sugar Dress and that works beautifully.  Need to bake it for 10 minutes and there's a learning curve to it but with Sugar Dress I was able to do this cake.  The flowers are a combination of gumpaste petals and Sugar Dress lace rounds.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 6

This beautiful!   ;-DBlue is my fav color, and this has just the right hue on the stark white. It is lovely. I'd love to see close ups of the cake and know how you constructed the flowers. Did you tint the sugar dress or did you color afterward?. I hope you don't mind if I use this for inspiration.

gscout73 Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 6

I want to save this as a favorite, but don't see it in your gallery.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much.  And I totally forgot to put it in the Cake Central gallery.  Have it posted on Pinterest and on my website and on facebook,  Will do that this morning.  I colored the lace royal blue with a little navy blue (gel) - about two tablespoonsful to one batch of Sugar Dress.  Looks a lot lighter in the dish but when it cures as lace it's a nice dark color.  I just started bouncing around ideas about lace flowers.  The lace is too delicate to attach by wire like you would a gumpaste petal so to a piece of cloth covered hooked wire I put a small teardrop of gumpaste.  Let that dry over night then in the morning I dipped the dry teardrop into some fresh Sugar Dress - to act as the glue.  Removed any extra then took three freshly made lace rounds and threaded the first up the wire then squished the heck out of it to make it stick to the base............and to cover the teardrop.  Then the second round was threaded on and adhered with just a couple dots of Sugar Dress and secured with a little less pressure so that it would fan out then the third and I ended up with a lacy puff ball for a flower center.  Then I got inventive and cut out lace pieces to stick to the surface of my gumpaste leaves.  The only thing you need to keep in mind is to NOT cut off the top finished edge of the lace then placement is important.  Put some Sugar Dress on the surface of the gumpaste petal and stick the lace on with the finished top edge up above the gumpaste petal - for maximum lace effect.  The reason I don't use water is because any water near the lace dissolves it instantly - bringing it back to liquid form.  If you don't want to use sugar dress as glue because of the color of the lace and petal, then use Karo Syrup.  Clear, and won't ruin and melt the colored lace.  Hope this helps.  Putting the photo in my album on CC now.  Thanks.  

gscout73 Posted 17 Apr 2014 , 1:42am
post #6 of 6

Thank you. I saved it as a fav.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%