Cricut Explore

Decorating By JackiSto Updated 6 Feb 2017 , 9:20pm by kdawkins

JackiSto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiSto Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 10:13pm
post #31 of 76

AYou do need a computer hooked up though... unlike the older cricuts.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 12:00pm
post #32 of 76

I got the impression that you had to be able to hook up to the internet as well.  Is this true?  It put me off completely.

JackiSto Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 1:32pm
post #33 of 76

AYes. An Internet connection is required. I know this has turned some people off.

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 7:43pm
post #34 of 76

I use my cricut cake with my laptop so I can use the craft room so wouldn't be any different really except the software, so wish I could get an explore. 

anyu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anyu Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 9:51pm
post #35 of 76

I just ordered my explore and saw this post. Just to clarify: to cut fondant/gumpaste, you have to use the cake mats, right? Do you have to use the cake blade? thank you! 

JackiSto Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 10:49pm
post #36 of 76

A

Original message sent by anyu

I just ordered my explore and saw this post. Just to clarify: to cut fondant/gumpaste, you have to use the cake mats, right? Do you have to use the cake blade? thank you! 

Yes, you have to use the cake mats, but the cake blades will not work. The explore blade it different than all the other machines, so you can't use the others

anyu Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 10:51pm
post #37 of 76

thank you so much, so you just use the blades that come with the explore? 

cazza1 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 1:30pm
post #38 of 76

You do not have to use a cake mat.  Before I got my cricut cake I took the rollers off my little original cricut and stripped all the glue off an ordinary mat and used it.  It worked just fine.

roxylee123 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 1:38pm
post #39 of 76

I read somewhere that you can use the thin chopping mats that you buy in the shops instead of the cake mats but obviously it wouldn't have the grid marking on. I have bought some clear ones and the are the big enough to be cut so they are the right width but would be slightly shorter than the original mats, though wouldn't be a problem if you were only cutting a few  things at a time. You can probably get bigger ones if you look about, I haven't had a chance to try them yet but need to soon as that would work out a whole lot cheaper. think I paid 79p for a pack of two.

JackiSto Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 3:19pm
post #40 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by anyu 

thank you so much, so you just use the blades that come with the explore? 

yes. you receive one explore blade with the machine... I also got a deep cut for thicker fondant

JackiSto Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 3:20pm
post #41 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

You do not have to use a cake mat.  Before I got my cricut cake I took the rollers off my little original cricut and stripped all the glue off an ordinary mat and used it.  It worked just fine.

I guess this would work too... I never thought to strip the sticky off, but same concept... no sticky for fondant or gumpaste. I do however use a sticky mat when I cut sugar sheets... I leave them on the plastic and stick it right on... works like a charm.

JackiSto Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 3:22pm
post #42 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by roxylee123 

I read somewhere that you can use the thin chopping mats that you buy in the shops instead of the cake mats but obviously it wouldn't have the grid marking on. I have bought some clear ones and the are the big enough to be cut so they are the right width but would be slightly shorter than the original mats, though wouldn't be a problem if you were only cutting a few  things at a time. You can probably get bigger ones if you look about, I haven't had a chance to try them yet but need to soon as that would work out a whole lot cheaper. think I paid 79p for a pack of two.

I have done this with the cricut cake I had, and while it did work, it didn't save me much when it came down to it because they curl up a bit in the middle, and I wound up with score marks which transferred onto the back of my fondant, so I had to replace them often... but hey, if it works for you, go with it.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 3:47pm
post #43 of 76

A long time ago I got a real deal on some of the Cricut Cake mats, so I bought several 12x12 and 12x24 mats.  I use mine ALL the time and I have never thrown away or retired any of my mats.  Some of them are scored and scarred with the cuts from 100's of other jobs and they still work just fine.

JackiSto Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 3:51pm
post #44 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes 

A long time ago I got a real deal on some of the Cricut Cake mats, so I bought several 12x12 and 12x24 mats.  I use mine ALL the time and I have never thrown away or retired any of my mats.  Some of them are scored and scarred with the cuts from 100's of other jobs and they still work just fine.

Me too! I have had the same mats for years now... when I tried the chopping mats, I guess they were just too thick and the scoring was very deep, so I got the imprint on the back of my medium.

anyu Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 4:02pm
post #45 of 76

The deep cut blade and housing are on sale right now I guess i will invest in them. :)  Thanks for the help.

roxylee123 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 4:56pm
post #46 of 76

I wondered if you would get marks on the icing if using chopping mats. I have quite a few of the proper mats so will just stick with them if that's the case, I recently bought six 12x12 mats on ebay for £20.

ForeverAfterCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ForeverAfterCakes Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 3:10am
post #47 of 76

This is incredible!!  Are you saying you used the new Cricut Explore to cut fondant?  Does it have space for thicker materials?  That is the problem I am having with the Silhouette. Even if it is rolled super thin, if there is a tiny corner sticking up, then it all jams up under the housing.

cazza1 Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 5:27am
post #48 of 76

No, I think you will find that we got a bit off topic and were talking about other cricut machines for cutting fondant.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 6:04am
post #49 of 76

i have used the Cricut Cake,  for the mats,  I have found that if your in need of one I can substitue 

a plastic place mat ( they have them with kids designs on them everywhere)   of course these dont have the measurements and markings on them  but it works like a charm . and cheap too

roxylee123 Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 2:01pm
post #50 of 76

That's a good idea do my mean the kids place mats?

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 3:21pm
post #51 of 76

AYes works great.

roxylee123 Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 8:26pm
post #52 of 76

I'm gonna try that thanks for the tip brendabeeper

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 3:11pm
post #53 of 76

Does that mean that your fondant sheet is laying on parchment paper WITHOUT any crisco under it?

What holds the fondant to the parchment?  

Gosh - this is amazing either way.  Can't wait for your response.

roxylee123 Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 5:24pm
post #54 of 76

I have used parchment under my fondant with the cricut, I put trex on the mat and lay the parchment down and then trex the parchment and lay the fondant over it. I make my cuts in the flip mode and then take the design (you may want to cut the paper around the design) on the parchment straight to the cake, press it on and then peel away the parchment paper. 

metweety6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metweety6 Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 8:31pm
post #55 of 76

Hi, I have a cake cricut too but not happy that I  can't cut  my own images . so I am looking into getting the explorer. 

Has anyone use it with edible markers?    

anyu Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 12:31am
post #56 of 76

Never used it with edible markers, but used my explore on this cake, and i used sugar sheets. 

roxylee123 Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 12:36am
post #57 of 76

That's awesome well done.

Chloezee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chloezee Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 10:20pm
post #58 of 76

STILL no answer anywhere? Does the Explore do cake decorating (I don't mean making boxes) - icing sheets and wafer paper or doesn't it. The company doesn't say and not a single person has spoken along those lines. All talk of Cricut Cake machine - and that one got bad press - don't want it at all. help please. I think it doesn't , else the company would've said so.

Chloezee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chloezee Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 10:24pm
post #59 of 76

That's if they have a cake protocol in place which I don't see mentioned ANYWHERE regarding this machine. Everyone talks of improvising which tell me that perhaps, it's not food safe and not meant for icing only for crafts?????

roxylee123 Posted 12 Mar 2015 , 6:05pm
post #60 of 76

The cricut explore is not classed as food safe and was made for crafts but, people do use them to cut fondant just as people did with the cricut expression. Here is a photo of a starbucks sign cut with the explore which was originally on this thread but since the upgrade isn't showing so I found it on google. I don't have the explore myself I have the cricut cake but don't see why there would be a problem using it for fondant if it is only ever used for that and the food safe mat made for the cricut cake is used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%