I'm Not Happy With How The Cake Turned Out- Going To Deliver Today

Business By Cakejeanie Updated 31 Mar 2014 , 3:22am by Crystalolvera60

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 10:21am
post #31 of 35

Cakejeanie - I share your pain.  I once did a Teletubbies cake for my good friend's granddaughter.  At the time, I had not a clue about them as my kids were ten years older and they would not watch a programme like that.  I was never, ever happy with that cake - it just never looked right to me - however, they said it was fine - in any event - you couldn't get a cake like that anywhere at the time.  I still think back to it and question what it was that was missing but I just don't know what it was - I just think it was because I didn't like the little blighters.  I did recognise the McQueen'ness in your cake - maybe you would have felt a bit better personally if it had been a carved cake?  However, it looked like your sketch and I love the banner - how did you do that?

Re the copyright "thing" - there's a lady I follow on FB who has been contacted by Chanel to take down all images of her cakes.  They have pursued her and all her brilliant work has now been removed from her page as they were suggesting legal action of some sort.  Mulberry and all the others she replilcates are not bothered.  I have always made character cakes for the children when they were little and, more recently on my return to baking (after 15 years!!) for DD and DN's 21st as in my Avatar.  I am just going to keep my fingers crossed that nobody finds me!

Cakejeanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakejeanie Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 10:37am
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysCakes 

Cakejeanie - I share your pain.  I once did a Teletubbies cake for my good friend's granddaughter.  At the time, I had not a clue about them as my kids were ten years older and they would not watch a programme like that.  I was never, ever happy with that cake - it just never looked right to me - however, they said it was fine - in any event - you couldn't get a cake like that anywhere at the time.  I still think back to it and question what it was that was missing but I just don't know what it was - I just think it was because I didn't like the little blighters.  I did recognise the McQueen'ness in your cake - maybe you would have felt a bit better personally if it had been a carved cake?  However, it looked like your sketch and I love the banner - how did you do that?

Re the copyright "thing" - there's a lady I follow on FB who has been contacted by Chanel to take down all images of her cakes.  They have pursued her and all her brilliant work has now been removed from her page as they were suggesting legal action of some sort.  Mulberry and all the others she replilcates are not bothered.  I have always made character cakes for the children when they were little and, more recently on my return to baking (after 15 years!!) for DD and DN's 21st as in my Avatar.  I am just going to keep my fingers crossed that nobody finds me!

Hi DaysCakes, the banner is made of paper. I printed it out on the computer, cut the pieces with an extra 1cm at the top which is folded down the back (if that makes sense). I then glued the banner onto a long narrow piece of fabric (you can use string as well). Then tied it onto the wooden skewers with a bit of glue to make sure they didn't slip. 

I was contemplating a carved cake, but having never done one before I wanted to practice first on a 'gift' cake, not on a paying customer! In any case, I did give the customer 3 design options on the cake- the two other designs that were not chosen included a 3d gumpaste model of Lightning, the boy's name in the Cars logo in royal icing, traffic cones etc etc. and so these were a lot dearer. So I don't think they would have gone for a carved cake! 

It is worrying about legalities of the use of characters on cakes. It sounds as if they made an example of the lady who did Chanel cakes (perhaps she did a lot of those cakes??)!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire138 

I agree about the advertising and promoting.  I don't get why they aren't just thrilled about it. I know that they feel bc then people will be obliged to buy the characters to add to cakes but it really annoys me.

Hear, hear! 

TamathaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamathaG Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 11:38am
post #33 of 35

I think it looks ok all I would have changed was outlining the windshield with black that is the only part that really looks off to me.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 9:56am
post #34 of 35

It matched the sketch, I saw the "McQueenness" of it so i think she won a watch on price.

I dont take commissions that are cheap and ugly anymore (I'm a florist) because I hate working with garish colours and cheap flowers. I just cant get into it at this stage of my life. What used to be a challenge is just a chore. Maybe this will be your last character cake because you dont enjoy doing them?

With regards to Chanel pursuing a lady on facebook who is plastering their high end logo all over her cakes they always do that.

Its not a compliment to them and they dont need her help advertising luxury on her fb cakes.

Crystalolvera60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystalolvera60 Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 3:22am
post #35 of 35

The cake looks a lot like the sketch to me! I personally like the cake! I think you did a good job! :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%