How Does Everyone Price Their Cakes?

Decorating By OMGOMG Updated 19 Jan 2014 , 12:18am by -K8memphis

OMGOMG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGOMG Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 9:21pm
post #61 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smckinney07 

I started thinking this might be a fake post after you girls mentioned it but OP went on to give advice about pricing to two other 'newbies' early this morning!

She advised the first poster that said she could easily get $5/serving then less then five min later she told another 'newbie' to sell her cakes for $1-1.50!

I simply don't understand how one would justify this thinking.

But this thread has been very amusing this morning icon_wink.gif you girls crack me up

This rite hear shows how smart you are because I tell the person with the prettiest cake I ever seen that sumone would pay $5-$6 a serving for it and I tell the person with cakes no better then mines that they could get $1- or $1.50 for it. duh. 

bilbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bilbo Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 9:25pm
post #62 of 70

I understand you OMGOMG. Why would someone new charge as much as someone whose been baking a long time?

OMGOMG Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 9:33pm
post #63 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilbo 

I understand you OMGOMG. Why would someone new charge as much as someone whose been baking a long time?

I no, rite? I thought i was the only person on here that made since. THANK YOU! I seen your tornado cake! So cute! I bet you could have got $25 or $30 for it. People want to say HOW to price a cake when all sumone wants is to no what to charge. Its STUPID!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 9:55pm
post #64 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire138 

Ah ok, that explains it although if I had no date on a friday night (I'm married but you know what I mean) I'd tuck myself up in bed with a warm toddy and something good to read!

Well, that's all well and good for those of us who read.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 10:34pm
post #65 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138 

Ah ok, that explains it although if I had no date on a friday night (I'm married but you know what I mean) I'd tuck myself up in bed with a warm toddy and something good to read!

Well, that's all well and good for those of us who read.

;-D

time to chock-a-block a few gobbledegook enthusiasts.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 10:40pm
post #66 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMGOMG 

Does anyone have any finacial advise? I found out I have a cottage law and I want to price my cakes resonable prices, not outrageous like in the bakeries. Please and thanks. 

tell me, omg, please how did you decorate this cake? it looks like a combination of skill levels and i'm curious -- you seem to want to be taken seriously although you have a questionable entrance to the forum with the rat & that cake & all--that was just to be funny right?

but now you want to be taken seriously and so explain to me how you did this, please--the combination of the random blue design, the uneven piping pressure and the very precise picture of the lady--how did this come together for you? who was this cake made for? who made it?

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 10:51pm
post #67 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Considering that dependent children are now considered to be 'kids' until the age of 28, this sure creates a lot of prospective trolls.  Is this like the old version of calling on the phone and asking if "You have Prince Albert in a Can?" or "Is you refridgerator running?"

Exactly! 

OMGOMG Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 10:54pm
post #68 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

tell me, omg, please how did you decorate this cake? it looks like a combination of skill levels and i'm curious -- you seem to want to be taken seriously although you have a questionable entrance to the forum with the rat & that cake & all--that was just to be funny right?

but now you want to be taken seriously and so explain to me how you did this, please--the combination of the random blue design, the uneven piping pressure and the very precise picture of the lady--how did this come together for you? who was this cake made for? who made it?

Ezmerelda's face and upper body is a plastic piece that came with the pan. I was comparing my work to the bakery at Walmarts but now I no there are alot of good cakes out there and I am embareassed about it so ot's okay to tell me I need to work more. I didn't no cakes could be so good as te cakes i seen on here and my cake is pittyful. 

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 11:17pm
post #69 of 70

there's different reasons to do cakes--i like to do cakes to make people happy--to set off sweet fireworks for their celebration--and then of course there's people who do this to compete and be the winner--at cake competitions--but so long as the peeps you did the cake for dug it you're golden--the best amongst us still have some more to learn--

so an idea for you is to do your next cake better than the one before--not look laterally and go "yeah i suck"--just move forward and watch for your own improvement--making the people you do the cakes for happy is the goal--improving skills comes with time--you got this--just gotta keep going--

so lesson one--stop comparing (in the way that takes you down) and start planning your next sweet adventure and where/how you want to set the bar a little higher--like a guniea pig instead of a rat-- jk jk jk hahaha

but like equal pressure to pipe the border--be prepared to stop & scrape off a few and start again--but honestly if you practice first to find your rhythm -- that's what makes a good piper and makes piping fun 

feel better

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 12:18am
post #70 of 70

but still, omg--the wild remarks you made during the rat cake thread leave me wondering if you're not just toying with me--

so what comments do you have about the rat cake--where did the different levels of skill come from? from the rat cake which is better made to ezmerelda which i agree to your discription that it is pitiful especially compared to your previous work--you went downhill--

how'd that happen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%