How Do You Make Peony For Your Cakes

Decorating By asianyoushi Updated 4 Jan 2014 , 9:20pm by scrumdiddlycakes

asianyoushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asianyoushi Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 10

do you use gum paste or fondant ..can you use something else--- i never used either... i'm more a butter cream kind of gal so this is outside my comfort zone big time. is there a brand that's easy to work with for beginners

9 replies
enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 10

I use gum paste from Wiltons, sorry for the editing pc acting up.

Here are 3 techniques, all beautiful, I hope this helps :wink:

asianyoushi Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 10

thank you... i am still debating if i want to try my hand at gum paste /fondant... very cautious when attempting new things for my cake skills.

savannah8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannah8 Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 10

Throw caution to the wind, how can you grow if you are keeping yourself back.

Cake decorating is not the cheapest skill  ,but it is so rewarding and www.craftsy.com

have wonderful classes for all skill levels

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 10

You're welcome. I'm pretty new to it too. I bought some gum paste to make flowers for a wedding cake a while back. You can roll it out pretty thin but the flowers were so delicate and easy to break. I want to try some other methods to see if they are stronger. I found this thread with some good information.

http://cakecentral.com/t/745939/best-to-use-fondant-or-gumpaste-for-figure

Good Luck!

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 10

ADefinitely try branching out and practicing new things! The only time most of us will encourage not trying something new is for a paid order. I use straight gumpaste for mine, the one I have the best luck with, other than homemade, is the ck powder you add water to. I never get cracking, elephant skin or brittleness from it. Some people prefer a mix of fondant and gumpaste, you don't have to work as quickly. I just use an exacto to cut mine, but you can buy petal cutters that make starting out way easier. I'd do a YouTube search for 'gumpaste peony', and then watch a whole bunch! Seeing people do it always makes it easier to understand, and you'll get to see different techniques.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 10

I also use straight gumpaste.  My first peony I ever made was with Wilton fondant - good place to start.  If you don't have cutter yet, consider the Collete Peters ones.  They come with very detailed instructions on making a peony.  These are not open peonies but a great place to start.  Peonies are not hard, just a heavy flower.

As you become more familiar with gumpaste, you will find it is a joy to work with and end up making your own like many of us.  If you take nothing else from this thread, it is to jump in with both feet and remember to have fun :)

asianyoushi Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

Definitely try branching out and practicing new things!
The only time most of us will encourage not trying something new is for a paid order.
I use straight gumpaste for mine, the one I have the best luck with, other than homemade, is the ck powder you add water to.
I never get cracking, elephant skin or brittleness from it.
Some people prefer a mix of fondant and gumpaste, you don't have to work as quickly.
I just use an exacto to cut mine, but you can buy petal cutters that make starting out way easier.
I'd do a YouTube search for 'gumpaste peony', and then watch a whole bunch! Seeing people do it always makes it easier to understand, and you'll get to see different techniques.

ck powder? is that just powder sugar(confectioners sugar)?
asianyoushi Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 10

when practicing with gumpaste/fondant- can you practice .roll it back up and re use it to get better at the technique or do you have to buy more each time.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 10

ANo, ck is a brand that sells a powdered gum paste mix. gumpaste dries quickly, if you work fast, or are just practicing rolling it, you could probably ball it back up. you can't assemble a whole flower, then reuse it though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%