Gumpaste Flowers On Buttercream

Decorating By cakeymom Updated 6 Dec 2013 , 2:42am by VelBakes

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 5:03am
post #1 of 7

AI just made Gumpaste flowers that will dry through to the middle of Saturday. I will apply the flowers to the top of the cake and deliver it shortly thereafter. It is for an affair on Sunday.

My Question is this - Does anyone think my flowers will wilt?????

Cakeymom

6 replies
princess marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princess marie Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 6:41am
post #2 of 7

ANo. Because you can kind of fluff them if they do. I would say check them Friday afternoon to be safe

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the response but I really need a little more advice??  The cake will be delivered on Saturday and consumed on Sunday so it will sit for a day with the gumpaste flowers on it.  Do you think they will wilt?????

Cakeymom

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 7

they might- it's not an impossibility--on friday test it with a scrap from flower making--

if the cake will be in the refrigerator the chances increase--test it that way--

but most of the time they are fine

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Dec 2013 , 1:36am
post #5 of 7

It depends on what the gumpaste is made from, where the cake is stored, and what the humidity level is. If you're using a quick gumpaste that's not really gumpaste but is fondant with tylose in it, that has more of a chance of softening up than a gumpaste that has no glycerine in it. If you put the cake ina box that doesn't let the air circulate around it, the moisture from the buttercream can recirculate into the gumpaste and soften the flowers. The safest thing to do would be to put the flowers on right before delivery, and tell the people who are taking the cake to store it in a non-humid place with the box open so that air can circulate into the box.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2013 , 2:36am
post #6 of 7

Yeah, what customeczar said.   There are lots of 'depends' on this.  I have done it with no problem but then I'm in a very dry area.  If the cake is dry (icing not sweating and crusted some) you should be good ok.

VelBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VelBakes Posted 6 Dec 2013 , 2:42am
post #7 of 7

Mine did. They were fine until I put the cake in my Wilton cake holder after dinner and snapped the dome on. The next morning the flowers were blobs. You could tell there had been beautiful handcrafted flowers, but... 

Like costumeczar said, it depends.

Happy baking,

Vel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%