Ateco Cake Heating Core, Set Of 4 - Have You Ever Used Them? Do They Work?

Decorating By Benzy55 Updated 10 Feb 2014 , 2:54pm by Walkinmomma

Benzy55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Benzy55 Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 18

A[SIZE=4][/SIZE]Ateco 1449 Cake Heating Core, Set of 4 I am thinking about buying a set of these, I have used heating cores before and I like them for larger cakes but has anyone used these? What do you like or not like about them?

17 replies
Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 18

I use them all the time.  Love them.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 18

AHow do they differ from using a flower nail (which happens to be a lot cheaper)?

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 18

The difference is bottom is flat and they don't rust like flower nails.  As far as the price, check around.  I actually bought a package of 4 for less than the flower nails.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 18

I just use flower nails....use 2 if it is a huge cake.  They don't remove any cake when taking them out.   Love them!

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 18

I am sold on them.  I have a couple of cakes that I have no problems with baking larger sizes.  But, my lemon and coconut cakes have major issues. They will have a firm gummy center when I try to bake larger pans even though they look and test done. I bought four sets of them, and used four in the 12" pan and three in the 10" pan on these cakes and they were perfect.

Shop around though.  Amazon has them for $12 which is a rip off.  I bought mine at Sur La Table online for $5.  I also saw one cake site that had them on sale for $3.99, but were sold out.  

belindaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belindaking Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 18

AKeep an eye on Amazon-- I got mine for around $5 on sale. ;) (Everywhere else costs an arm and a leg to ship APO, even when they advertise "free" shipping. :( )

One thing I love about the heating cores is that they are shorter than the finished cake, so I'm able to level the cake while it's still in the pan, which I can't do with the flower nails. (I'm saving up for that Agbay!). Flat on the bottom and non-rusting are the other great attributes. :)

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 18

I've had a camelcamelcamel price alert on them on Amazon for months.  They were $5 forever but then jumped to $12 for the past few months.  I'll check Sur la Table.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 12:42am
post #10 of 18

Quote:

Only problem with ordering from this site is that shipping is outrageous.  I checked them out when I was looking to order mine, and they want over $15 to ship two packs of four.  $30 to ship 4 packs.  They don't weigh that much.  So, I moved on.  Sur La Table was still the best for shipping.  

This is the site that had them for $3.99, but are still out of stock.

http://www.cakesupplies4u.com/Products/Ateco-Heating-Cores-4pk__1449.aspx

Cakepro Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 5:02am
post #11 of 18

Sur la Table is out of stock.

bestgamenews01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bestgamenews01 Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 6:52am
post #12 of 18

You can talk with friends, brainstorming on the other hand, you can also check the Internet so the answer a little more authority. I think these are a good way to solve the problem. Good luck to you!

[url=http://http://www.mmo2buy.com/]WOW Gold [/url]|[url=http://www.fifacoins2buy.com/]Fifa Coins [/url]

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 5:01pm
post #13 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by rychevamp 

Only problem with ordering from this site is that shipping is outrageous.  I checked them out when I was looking to order mine, and they want over $15 to ship two packs of four.  $30 to ship 4 packs.  They don't weigh that much.  So, I moved on.  Sur La Table was still the best for shipping.

This is the site that had them for $3.99, but are still out of stock.

http://www.cakesupplies4u.com/Products/Ateco-Heating-Cores-4pk__1449.aspx

I've never ordered just 1 thing from them...When I order with them I am usually ordering a thousand cupcake wrappers, cutters, 100s of pastry bags, stands and other stuff, so shipping has never been an issue, I placed a $190 order last week and the shipping was only $12 and from order to the time it arrives at your door is only 2 days. It's one of those "the more you order the better the shipping cost"

I just checked and they ship fed-ex (which would account for the high shipping costs) to ship 1 pack to me would be $11.91 to ship 2 packs it would be $12.

Cakepro Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 10:14pm
post #14 of 18

Webstaurant's shipping is exceptionally high, even when I place large bulk orders for my bakery.

rychevamp Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 10:17pm
post #15 of 18

Yeah, I thought so too.  I don't use them for anything, the restaurant I work at has their purveyors.  I was just ordering these for myself, so I wasn't going to pay their crazy shipping costs.  Those little buggers are hard to find.  Most places are sold out that I've looked at.  Glad I bought several when I found them.  

justdesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justdesserts Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 12:54am
post #16 of 18

I've found that their prices are some of the best I have been able to find, even with the shipping factored in. My last order I actually added one 4 pack of the heating cores to my order and have used them several times so far. They work great. :)

Walkinmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walkinmomma Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 2:42pm
post #17 of 18

As far as I am concerned they are one of the best cake investments I have made.  Order 2 sets for extras, hand wash only and be sure they are completely dry before storing.  I even use one in my 6x3" pan as they help the taller cakes bake so much better.  A chart is on the back of the label to show usage and placement but sometimes I will add 1 or 2 more depending on how full my pans are-I always use 3" pans.

Walkinmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walkinmomma Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 2:54pm
post #18 of 18

Sur La Table has them back in stock and has the best shipping rate

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%