Delivery Accident

Decorating By kplatt Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 3:35am by Nadiaa

kplatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kplatt Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 37

AWhile driving to deliver a 3 tier wedding cake a child ran after his dog and I slammed on the breaks to avoid them. This caused the cake to tip. I went back to the bakery, fixed the cake and headed back out on the road. The damage to the structure and time out of the fridge took its toll and the cake started to fall apart. I don't have before pictures, but I have the afters. I tried to repair the cake as best I could at the reception site. I'm wondering how much of a refund the couple is owed?[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3094402/width/200/height/400[/IMG][IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3094403/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

36 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 37

wow, wow, wow.....I always wonder what I will do if this ever happens to me.   I know the contact clauses, blah, blah, blah...but I don't think my conscience would allow me to charge anyone for a cake I did not deliver in tact..regardless of the situation....especially a wedding cake.    I just don't know.   So sorry for your cake injuries.

Brettley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brettley Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 37

Ohh this is my BIGGEST fear! So sorry that this happened to you:(

kplatt Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 37

AWould you do a full refund or a 50%?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 37

Yep, no matter whose fault it is, I'd feel obligated to do just about whatever they asked me to (within reason). One, it would make me feel better, and it would just be the right thing to do, period.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 37

AFull refund.

You should have used a cakesafe. *ducks and runs*

ddaigle Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 37

I'd give 100%...but that's just me.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 37

AOh no! That is probably fear #1 for many of us! Okay, if it were me I would give a full refund. Not because you did anything wrong, some things truly can't be helped, but for the sake of your reputation. When the bride tells the story of what happened to her wedding cake it would be great if she could end it on the positive note that baker refused to accept payment for the cake even though it wasn't their fault. (And that the cake tasted great anyway!) Just my two cents. :)

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 37

ALol Brandi.

Out of curiosity, does insurance cover this sort of thing? Or is the cake business SOL for events like this?

as you wish Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:20pm
post #10 of 37

A

Original message sent by BrandisBaked

Full refund.

LOL!

ddaigle Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:22pm
post #11 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

Full refund.

OMG...talk about timing!  Too funny Brandi!

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:28pm
post #12 of 37

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. It happened to me once but it wasn't a wedding cake. I still felt awful. I offered a full refund and the client refused because only the back was damaged, but my conscience made me offer to return the payment.

I know it's one of those things that you couldn't control, but a full refund would go a long way. You may or may not be able to afford it, but your client would be impressed with your effort to make amends. I'm so sorry.

as you wish Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:31pm
post #13 of 37

AOh oh! I know! Find the parents of the child who was chasing his dog and tell them that you sacrificed the cake to save their boy and make THEM pay for the cake! (Totally kidding! :) )

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:33pm
post #14 of 37

So, so sorry this happened to you. 

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:50pm
post #15 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaigle 

OMG...talk about timing!  Too funny Brandi!

yeah it brings new meaning to the phrase "Life's 'ruff', get a  CakeSafe!"

Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:54pm
post #16 of 37

What an unfortunate situation; the cake looked like it was beautifully done.  The bride paid for a wedding cake to be in photos, etc. so although the mishap was not your fault, the bride shouldn't be expected to pay for a cake that wasn't what she ordered.  So sorry, but if I were the bride, I would want a full refund.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:54pm
post #17 of 37

A

Original message sent by jennicake

Out of curiosity, does insurance cover this sort of thing? Or is the cake business SOL for events like this?

If you have commercial auto insurance it might cover it, but unless a $3000 cake was ruined it's probably not worth filing a claim.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 5:10pm
post #18 of 37

I would also say full refund, obviously it's not your fault but it's definitely not the brides. Chalk it up to one of those things. Plus, if they're reasonable people, they'll remember your gesture and professionalism when they need another custom cake.

kplatt Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 6:11pm
post #19 of 37

AThose are both after picture, one is the front of the cake, one is of the back

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 6:55pm
post #20 of 37

Ugh, I feel for you...but a full refund is needed. So sorry, I would be crying! :sad:

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 9:16pm
post #21 of 37

Ah, what timing! CC is flooded with cakesafe testimonials and a brand new member tells us about an unfortunate incident that could happen to any of us... But if we purchase a cakesafe...

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 9:22pm
post #22 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Ah, what timing! CC is flooded with cakesafe testimonials and a brand new member tells us about an unfortunate incident that could happen to any of us... But if we purchase a cakesafe...

That's what I was thinking.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 10:00pm
post #23 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

If that's a real commercial bakery wedding cake, I'm a 500 lb. ballerina.  Buy Cake Safe!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 11:31pm
post #24 of 37

Don't you get frost on your tutu up there? :-D

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 11:34pm
post #25 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanter 

Don't you get frost on your tutu up there? :-D

Shanter, you are Too funny

MBalaska Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 12:32am
post #26 of 37

nah....not with cammo flannel long john underwear, a snow suit, & bunny boots.  Buy Cake Safe.  ps: that cake photo has been posted before.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 12:40am
post #27 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

nah....not with cammo flannel long john underwear, a snow suit, & bunny boots.  Buy Cake Safe.  ps: that cake photo has been posted before.

It has? Show us! :)

The other place it was posted.. not the camo flannel bunny suit...

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 1:10am
post #28 of 37

AHey, I want to see the bunny suit!

MBalaska Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 1:10am
post #29 of 37

IMO it has. It may not have been here.  sorry, can't provide cast iron evidence of prior visual contact through computer technology links.

Where is the solid proof that it is legit. :)   It is all taken in with a grain of salt & everyone takes what they need from the website.

In future I'll work on not getting my tent sized tutu in a blizzard style twist.

Everything here is an rather obvious mix of genuine bakers & business owners blended somewhatseamlessly with faux posters, astroturf ringers, & commercial advertising interest.

http://cakecentral.com/t/761089/lightbox/post/7439253/id/3093208

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 1:17am
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Everything here is an rather obvious mix of genuine bakers & business owners blended somewhatseamlessly with faux posters, astroturf ringers, & commercial advertising interest.

Fairly accurate summation, MB. Although I would have used a few more adjectives.   

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%