How Do I "glue" These Pearls On?

Decorating By Britterfly Updated 5 Sep 2013 , 5:57pm by shanter

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 7

A customer sent me a photo of this cake she wants. I have a few questions if anyone can help me...

1. Are those the edible pearls you buy in a bottle? Or did that person make them out of fondant herself?

2. How do I "glue" the pearls onto the cake like this? Do I use piping gel? I'm especially worried about doing the middle tier, with the band of pearls in the middle like that.

3. If I use piping gel, won't the gel eventually slide down because of gravity? Considering the gel never dries. I did a fondant waterfall cake a while back & I used piping gel for the waterfall... well the gel kept sliding down the cake. I had to keep re applying & smoothing it out until they picked it up. I don't want to go through this again, especially with a wedding cake.

4. How do you make those large roses? The only roses I've made are much smaller than that & I used the Wilton cutter set/instructions.

5. How do you attach the gum paste roses to the cake sides like that? Without them falling off or sagging? The roses I've made were pretty heavy & they weren't that big. I'm worried that top one won't hold up.

Thanks in advance!!

Here's a link to the cake photo...

http://www.pbfingers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/pearl-wedding-cake.jpg

6 replies
luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 7

I would use royal icing to attach the pearls and when I have done roses on the side of a cake I use a dowel to make the center and then it is a sturdy piece to attach the petals to then poke into the cake. As for the size, just a larger cutter for the outside petals.   Best of luck, it looks like a fun challenge.

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 7

Those do look like hand made fondant pearls to me.  You would roll them then put edible luster dust in a bowl or baggie and toss around to coat...you can also apply these with just a bit of sugar glue, no need for piping gel, I've also used just a tiny bit of water too.

SweetCarolines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCarolines Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 7

1. I suppose she could've made them with fondant. It would probably be easier to buy edible pearls in various sizes. 

2. Royal icing. If you make the pearls out of fondant, use water. 

4. YouTube search "gumpaste roses."

5. Floral wires. 

If I were you, I'd buy a dummy and practice making this cake several times. 

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSKConfections 

Those do look like hand made fondant pearls to me.  You would roll them then put edible luster dust in a bowl or baggie and toss around to coat...you can also apply these with just a bit of sugar glue, no need for piping gel, I've also used just a tiny bit of water too.

I actually think they could be piped...  it looks like some of them still have the 'point' on them, where they haven't been flatted afterwards.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 7

AIt looks like a variety to me. Some are perfect, some look hand modeled and there are definitely some piped dots as well.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 7

You can also use melted white chocolate as glue; it solidifies faster than royal icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%