Pearls?

Decorating By Annabakescakes Updated 14 Aug 2013 , 8:17pm by howsweet

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 8
I need 2-8 mm pearls in white or oyster or a mix of both. GSA is out of the 5 mm and only has the white ones you're supposed to color yourself... 

First, is this the best price for them? I don't need a ton, or bulk, since if I used them that much, I would already have them in bulk. KWIM?

Also, If I get the plain white to color them, how do you get it to stay on? I have made my own fondant pearls and colored them, but I rolled them and colored them while they were warm and it stuck well, but these are dry, so how do I get it to stay on and not smudge when I pick them up? Steam? Vodka? Shortening? Confectioner's glaze? I don't want finger prints all over them! 
7 replies
kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 8

I make my own, dry them on paper towels and store them in containers by size.  I pull them out as needed and color them using a luster dust vodka mixture in a container with a lid.  Just swirl them around until coated.  Pour them out onto a paper towel to dry.  After they dry, you shouldn't see fingerprints.  I don't have much need for them in bulk either, but would love to do a whole tier in them.  I just love that look.

ttaunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttaunt Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 8

Do you hand roll each little pearl from fondant? Is there and easier way? I need a few hundred to decorate a wedding cake. I don't want to use those hard ones that break your teeth when you bite on them even though they are quite pretty.

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 8

AThere is a great tutorial, I think from Earline? I can't link from my phone but you can use piping tips to cut out the circles and then roll them.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 8

I have made my own in the past, from fondant way back when I used to practically work for free, lol. I warned the bride, my hands are clean in this mess, haha. I am not liable for broken teeth. There is a distinct pattern on the bottom and middle tiers, and the top is a sort of free form scallop design. There will be all sizes dragees.

Do you make a paste, or is it runny or what, when you use vodka? Why doesn't the luster vodka get soaked off on the towel? Am I over-thinking this? 

And anyone have a source for either all sizes plain or all sizes pearl? 

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 8

Earlene hand made pearls:  http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm

Earlene Tutorial:  http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm

The pearls she makes are hard on the outside but soft on the inside.  I haven't ordered them but they look pretty nice and won't cause broken teeth.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 8

Just realized I sent you two of the same links;

Premade soft pearls:  http://www.earlenescakes-store.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=72

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 8

Assuming they'll be attached to something I would use a mold - there are various types and sizes (link) that make a 6 inch string at once. I usually attach with tylose glue (on fondant)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%