Split Decision Wedding Cake

Decorating By mariadelao Updated 13 Aug 2013 , 7:56pm by MBalaska

mariadelao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariadelao Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 9

AHi everyone, I have been asked to make one of those "bride and groom all-in-one" tiered wedding cakes, with one half frosted and decorated in white and the other half with chocolate and chocolate covered strawberries. The cake itself is going to be a marbled vanilla-mocha cake. The bride and groom requested a cream cheese filling/frosting so I'm going to use Rose Levy's white chocolate cream cheese buttercream m which is pretty much all I've been using lately because it's so yummy! Now what about the groom's side? Do you think using the same recipe with semisweet or milk chocolate would work, or would it be better to just add some melted semisweet chocolate afterwards to get the brown color? Or will it be better to use ganache on that side? Also will it be better to crumb coat the cake, stack it and then finish decorating so that both sides align perfectly? Which side would you do first, white or brown? Thanks everyone for your help! I've made many calls before, not as a business but for family and friends (need to upload some pics to my profile!), and I must be doing something right since people think I can make stuff such as this split decision cake!

Maria

8 replies
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know hun but good luck. I wish I had that skill. Post pictures and let us know how you did it. I'm sure there is a youtube tutorial out there if you can't find any help here

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 9

I would crumb coat, mark with a skewer or something where you want to frost each side to (so you might want to stack them for that) but frosting them unstacked would be easier. I think you'll have to do the swags on the sides out of fondant though, which will also help to cover any boo boos where the 2 frostings meet. I'm pretty sure it won't make a difference what colour you do first.

Personally, I would only do the whole cake in fondant though. 

mariadelao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariadelao Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 9

So I ended up doing this:

After baking all 4 tiers, torted, filled and crumbcoated with the white chocolate cream cheese buttercream. Let it set in the fridge for a little bit, then marked the half sides with a toothpick and frosted the bride's side with more WCCC buttercream and the groom's with ganache. Back in the fridge to set, then poured ganache on the grooms side before stacking each tier. I frosted the bride's side with rosettes and did the shell border on the groom's side.

In between all this I prepped the tuxedo strawberries, dipped in white chocolate first, then dark chocolate and finally painted the buttons and bowties with a toothpick,

The following day I did the fondant draping on the sides and painted with some pearl dust mixed with lemon extract. The bride and groom had given me the toppers which I put on the cake once we got to the wedding & reception site.

They were extremely pleased with the cake, so it was a success! And it tasted really yummy too :)

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 9

Awesome!

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 9

AGreat job!

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 9

Nice job!!