Grossed Out By Cake Shows

Decorating By shebysuz Updated 30 Jul 2013 , 7:56am by embersmom

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 1:33am
post #61 of 77

AI won't eat food at potlucks unless I bring it or it is something like a veggie tray made at the grocery store.

Have you ever seen the Hoarders shows? That is one of the reasons I won't eat food made by others. A lot of those people seem so normal when they are out in public, but go into their house and beware. Also, once I went to a Christmas party at a beautiful, sparkling clean, million dollar house. There was a spiral ham on the counter. They had a cat who jumped on the counter and started gobbling the ham. The hostess just pushed the cat off, grabbed a knife and hacked off a chunk of the ham. She said to us, "there, good as new." My husband and I left soon after that and stopped at Panera on the way home.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 2:05am
post #62 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker 

I won't eat food at potlucks unless I bring it or it is something like a veggie tray made at the grocery store.

I worked briefly as a cake decorator at a national chain grocery store in a high end neighborhood and after what I saw there, I will never, ever eat anything prepared, cut or sliced at a grocery store. That includes ground beef as I personally witnessed the butcher picking up raw meat off the floor and then running it through the grinder.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 2:15am
post #63 of 77

AUgh! Then what can we buy other than whole produce? I'm not interested in becoming a vegetarian. Sigh. My anxiety is going to be ramped up next time I go shopping. Why can't people just be clean and honest?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 2:23am
post #64 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

I started gagging the moment I read 'legs' and still haven't stopped. Oh my gosh, that is so revolting!!!

I trust restaurants more than most people's homes, at least there are rules to follow, and most at least try to stick to some of them, lol. In someone's home, there is nothing.

There's a lady who sells shish kabobs at the local farmer's market, her truck broke down one day and she only lives a few minutes away, so I offered to help her drive all her equipment and stuff to sell.

We go into the house to collect stuff, and she is 'marinating' the skewers of meat on a giant painting tarp on her living room floor. she just skewers the meat, tosses it on the tarp, dumps the oil/spices on top and lets it sit for 24 hours. Totally uncovered, at room temp.

Oh, did I mention she has a cat?

I don't eat anything from the farmer's markets now, unless it is mine or I know the person and have been in their kitchen.

That is horrifying! I bet that meat is super tender though, half rotted like that. :P

Annabakescakes Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 2:25am
post #65 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker 

I won't eat food at potlucks unless I bring it or it is something like a veggie tray made at the grocery store.

I worked briefly as a cake decorator at a national chain grocery store in a high end neighborhood and after what I saw there, I will never, ever eat anything prepared, cut or sliced at a grocery store. That includes ground beef as I personally witnessed the butcher picking up raw meat off the floor and then running it through the grinder.

Cook it really good, and it'll kill the germs ;-)

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 2:56am
post #66 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Yes, and sterilize any of the roach droppings that might have stuck on the meat. I know even Julia Child told people to pick stuff up off the floor and use it, but I bet she wouldn't have wanted anything of that particular floor.

Rosegin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosegin Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 3:18am
post #67 of 77

A

Original message sent by howsweet

Yes, and sterilize any of the roach droppings that might have stuck on the meat. I know even Julia Child told people to pick stuff up off the floor and use it, but I bet she wouldn't have wanted anything of that particular floor.

Anything that comes from a factory had a certain amount of "allowable filth" in it. That includes bug parts and rat/mouse droppings.

Yum!

planetsomsom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planetsomsom Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 4:19am
post #68 of 77

At my school we did everything with our hands. Especially sponges, because if you can feel the lumps of flower, it's easier to fold. It's more efficient.

I guess it's gross if you aren't a clean person. In foodsafe, our health inspector said he was more comfortable with bare hands, because when your hands are bare, you know when they are dirty. With gloves, you don't feel anything. You forget. And you still don't wash your hands because you figure "oh I just had gloves on, they're clean."

But the loose hair is definitely something.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:35am
post #69 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsomsom 

At my school we did everything with our hands. Especially sponges, because if you can feel the lumps of flower, it's easier to fold. It's more efficient.

I guess it's gross if you aren't a clean person. In foodsafe, our health inspector said he was more comfortable with bare hands, because when your hands are bare, you know when they are dirty. With gloves, you don't feel anything. You forget. And you still don't wash your hands because you figure "oh I just had gloves on, they're clean."

people should know that they need to wash there hands after using gloves and gloves are task specific. when they think that way it makes me crazy. not you,just people.

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 1:58pm
post #70 of 77
Quote:

A few places where I've worked have called it the five-second rule:  It's OK to pick it up as long as it just momentarily touched the floor.  If it's on the floor longer than that, toss it.  An old manager of mine was adamant not to waste anything because waster = money lost.  As long as it wasn't visually dirty, it was OK.

justdesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justdesserts Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 2:02pm
post #71 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsomsom 

Ugh, I know! I always pin my hair up, cover it totally with a tied handkerchief, put on a clean apron, clean my work area, and STILL my family found a hair in a cookie this week....glad it wasn't for a customer, but things like that make me soooo nervous. What else can I do? And these shows don't even TRY to cover their hair - you know there must be hairs that get in the cakes. So gross.

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 3:10am
post #72 of 77

OK...here's my gross story.

I taught a cake-decorating class and a really stinky lady took the class.  She smelled like old coffee and mega-cigarettes.  I also worked at the same place she did and she smelled at work too.

One day, she came into my office at work to show me a picture of a cake she'd made.  I tried to find the positive points of the cake to be encouraging, and to point out a few changes to improve her final product.  It was a Halloween cake, and on one corner was a large fondant ghost.  Smiling, I said, "Oh, that ghost is cute.  But I probably wouldn't have put him on the corner where he could fall off."  She said, "Oh, I had to put that there.  My cat licked the icing off the corner of the cake and I didn't have time to fix it before taking it to the party so I am using the ghost to cover the bare corner!!!!!"  Wh-wh-wh-what???????? 

Not that I would have willingly eaten anything she made anyway, but after that, I quietly warned others.  Suffice it to say, whenever she brought baked goods to work, most of the trash cans were full of her cupcakes.  Blech!

Annabakescakes Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 3:21am
post #73 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by embersmom 

Quote:

A few places where I've worked have called it the five-second rule:  It's OK to pick it up as long as it just momentarily touched the floor.  If it's on the floor longer than that, toss it.  An old manager of mine was adamant not to waste anything because waster = money lost.  As long as it wasn't visually dirty, it was OK.

When I took food safety, the inspector giving the class asked if it was okay to serve food off the floor, and there were people who said yes, if it is rinsed, or cooked after. The inspector said no. 

I can tell you that for my own family, if I drop a whole packet of nuggets on the floor, before I cook them, or a $6 a piece steak falls on the ground, it is getting the pick through test and getting cooked and served, or rinsed and grilled, and I'm gonna eat it. 

Annabakescakes Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 3:22am
post #74 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaun 

OK...here's my gross story.

I taught a cake-decorating class and a really stinky lady took the class.  She smelled like old coffee and mega-cigarettes.  I also worked at the same place she did and she smelled at work too.

One day, she came into my office at work to show me a picture of a cake she'd made.  I tried to find the positive points of the cake to be encouraging, and to point out a few changes to improve her final product.  It was a Halloween cake, and on one corner was a large fondant ghost.  Smiling, I said, "Oh, that ghost is cute.  But I probably wouldn't have put him on the corner where he could fall off."  She said, "Oh, I had to put that there.  My cat licked the icing off the corner of the cake and I didn't have time to fix it before taking it to the party so I am using the ghost to cover the bare corner!!!!!"  Wh-wh-wh-what???????? 

Not that I would have willingly eaten anything she made anyway, but after that, I quietly warned others.  Suffice it to say, whenever she brought baked goods to work, most of the trash cans were full of her cupcakes.  Blech!

That is nauseating!

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 4:33am
post #75 of 77
Quote:

When I took food safety, the inspector giving the class asked if it was okay to serve food off the floor, and there were people who said yes, if it is rinsed, or cooked after. The inspector said no. 

I can tell you that for my own family, if I drop a whole packet of nuggets on the floor, before I cook them, or a $6 a piece steak falls on the ground, it is getting the pick through test and getting cooked and served, or rinsed and grilled, and I'm gonna eat it. 

Oh I have a totally different set of food handling rules for my husband and I than I do for everyone else, haha. There is a big difference between making the call to rinse off a steak for yourself and serving a customer a cake licked by a cat.

The cat thing grosses me out so badly, I've heard a few stories about cats and cake. What if someone like my dad, who is severely allergic to cat saliva, got the corner piece? A lot of people are allergic to it, now I'm angry. lol.

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 5:12am
post #76 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

Oh I have a totally different set of food handling rules for my husband and I than I do for everyone else, haha. There is a big difference between making the call to rinse off a steak for yourself and serving a customer a cake licked by a cat.

The cat thing grosses me out so badly, I've heard a few stories about cats and cake. What if someone like my dad, who is severely allergic to cat saliva, got the corner piece? A lot of people are allergic to it, now I'm angry. lol.

Oh yeah, the cat licked cake took her grossness to a whole new level...and I was completely sickened by it.  I added a whole unit on food safety the next time I taught the class.  I can't imagine who in their right mind would think that was okay.  I would love a dog, but I don't have one because I am a cottage food business in my own home (and my kitchen floors are clean enough to eat off of...) and even though I am meticulously clean, it wouldn't be fair to a potential customer with a dog allergy!

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 7:56am
post #77 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaun 

Oh yeah, the cat licked cake took her grossness to a whole new level...and I was completely sickened by it.  I added a whole unit on food safety the next time I taught the class.  I can't imagine who in their right mind would think that was okay.  I would love a dog, but I don't have one because I am a cottage food business in my own home (and my kitchen floors are clean enough to eat off of...) and even though I am meticulously clean, it wouldn't be fair to a potential customer with a dog allergy!

I've got two dogs, which automatically excludes me from any cottage food business.  I finally have it down to a science as to getting the least amount of fur on me between home and work:  1) get dressed at the last minute; 2) don't pet them before leaving; 3) brush yourself off between going to the ladies' and punching in.

That said, my husky LOVES the icing we use at work.  He licks it off my shoes after I take them off!  And no, I will never make him a cupcake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%