Cows Milk Free Cakes That Work And Taste Good.

Baking By bubs1stbirthday Updated 16 Jul 2013 , 8:26am by bubs1stbirthday

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 5:04am
post #1 of 3

Hi - my bubba is 4&1/2 months old and I am planning on making her a special 1st birthday cake - so since she was born I have been practicing on any poor soul I can - however we are doing an elimination diet as it seems she may be allergic to cows milk. Do you have any delicious recipe's that I can use - ones my hubby will actually eat and not spit in the bin when I am not looking icon_sad.gif I really love to bake - it's my way to relax but it needs to be edible lol. Thankyou. 

2 replies
JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:13am
post #2 of 3

I just did a test with this recipe - I was pretty surprised how good it turned out.   I used Almond milk because many soy products may contain some types of milk product.

You can Google lactose free cakes and many will come up.  I made chocolate ganache with DF chocolate chips and coconut milk.

This was my first lactose free cake so I don't have a variety for you :(

Chocolate Cake by Ashley Adam

Ingredients:

• 2/3 cup soy milk or other   Like Almond, Coconut or Rice Milk:
  • 1 t. cider vinegar 
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs (for vegans or those allergic to eggs, use egg replacer)
  • 1 cup strong brewed coffee (for kids, use decaffeinated!)
  • 1/2 cup dairy-free sour cream, such as Tofutti's Sour Supreme
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil and flour 2 9-inch round spring-form cake pans and set aside. In a small mixing bowl or dish, combine the soy milk and cider vinegar until well-mixed. Set aside (mixture will thicken slightly).

2.    In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well combined. Create a well in the center of the ingredients. Add the soy milk mixture, eggs (or egg replacer, if using), coffee, dairy-free sour cream, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract to the well. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the ingredients on a medium-speed setting for 1-2 minutes, or until smooth. (Note: the batter will be rather thin, but this is normal!)

3.    Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes emerges clean. Allow cakes to cool in the pan for 20-30 minutes, then carefully remove the cakes from the pans and allow to cool completely on wire cooling racks before layering and frosting with Dairy-Free Chocolate Frosting.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 8:26am
post #3 of 3

Thankyou thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%