Do You Need A Recipe For Leftover Cake Batter?

Baking By Welsh4life Updated 10 Jul 2013 , 10:32pm by JWinslow

Welsh4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Welsh4life Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 4

I usually keep a stash of cake batters in the freezer and find it quite handy.  For example, if someone wants to do a cake testing for a future cake I can knock out a few cupcakes without stirring up a complete batch of cake.  It is also handy to thaw and add to batches of fresh cake.  Well, today I found the perfect use for frozen cake batter.  (Other than at the end of a spoon!)  Here is my Chocolate Empanada Recipe.  This is a lot of fun for your family who may have to see you making cakes all the time and not getting a slice.  Enjoy.

Chocolate Empanada

Empanada Dough

3 cups flour

¾ cup Cocoa Powder, unsweetened

½ cup sugar

dash of chili powder

1 tsp cinnamon powder

2 sticks butter

2 eggs

4-6 Tbs water or coffee

Filling

Leftover FROZEN cake batter. Chocolate is best.

Instructions

Place dry ingredients in food processor.  Add frozen butter in chunks, then add egg.  Add water/or coffee until it comes together.  Bag and put in fridge for ½ hour at least.

Roll dough with powdered sugar and add spoon of FROZEN cake batter.  For portions, the unfolded empanada should look like an egg. The batter should be the yolk and the dough would be the size of an egg white.

Flip, crimp and put in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes.  Let the empanada cool.  The batter will firm up and continue to "bake" as it cools. Batter will have a molten gooey consistency.

Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!

3 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 4

Interesting! 

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you for this suggestion.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 10:32pm