Cake Terms That Gross You Out

Lounge By kaylawaylalayla Updated 14 Jul 2013 , 5:45am by Evoir

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 5:39pm
post #61 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylawaylalayla 

I know! Its not glamorous but its safe ans professional. Ugly little buns for the win!

haha!

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 9:22pm
post #62 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

And just why is fly away hair or too much hairspray a brand, anyway? I hate that crap! I wear my hair in an ugly little bun, because it goes most of the way down my back. I don't even walk out through my bakery without it in my ugly little bun. Hair in food is SO gross.

Sometimes I wonder why I even have long hair, since I almost always pull it back. But then I remember when it was butched short and I woke up with freaky bed-head every morning and HAD to do it. I'll stick with the ponytail...maybe a knotted bun if I'm feeling super fancy. icon_wink.gif

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 9:45pm
post #63 of 110

I too hate when people say fon-dont and then if you say anything they just its French and that's how they say it.  I have a lot of people that just don't know how to pronounce it.  I hear a lot of fondough or fondew or the like and it always cracks me up.

Annabakescakes Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 9:56pm
post #64 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

Quote:

And just why is fly away hair or too much hairspray a brand, anyway? I hate that crap! I wear my hair in an ugly little bun, because it goes most of the way down my back. I don't even walk out through my bakery without it in my ugly little bun. Hair in food is SO gross.

Sometimes I wonder why I even have long hair, since I almost always pull it back. But then I remember when it was butched short and I woke up with freaky bed-head every morning and HAD to do it. I'll stick with the ponytail...maybe a knotted bun if I'm feeling super fancy. icon_wink.gif

I know, right? I wore it down today and I just frantically snatched it all up in my twisty-ponytail-holder-bun, a la` 1994, minus the scrunchy. I am making dinner and after standing over the hot stove cooking chicken, and making pan gravy, I felt like I was going to die from over heating. I sometimes wish I could cut it all off, but I know I would regret it. Plus, it would break my grandpa's heart. He loves my hair and always says something about it when I see him.  

sixinarow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 9:58pm
post #65 of 110
Quote:

I know, right? I wore it down today and I just frantically snatched it all up in my twisty-ponytail-holder-bun, a la` 1994, minus the scrunchy. I am making dinner and after standing over the hot stove cooking chicken, and making pan gravy, I felt like I was going to die from over heating. I sometimes wish I could cut it all off, but I know I would regret it. Plus, it would break my grandpa's heart. He loves my hair and always says something about it when I see him.  

My husband is a long hair guy too, but man, it gets SO friggin' hot in the summer especially. Then I have breakage underneath from being pulled up too much. *sigh* 

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 9:59pm
post #66 of 110

Agree with curd .... always make me think of curdled milk or cottage cheese.  Who wants THAT in their cake?

Agree with Dirty-Ice ... that sounds just disgusting!  Who would even use a term like that to start with?

Add to the list:  Slab cake (in lieu of sheet cake).  A 'slab' is what they put the dead body on in the morgue.  I also get this visual image of someone saying the word and really stretching out the "a" part ("sl-a-a-a-a-a-b") while their tongue hangs down to their chin.  My mother used this term and for some reason she always stretched out the word and it seriously makes me sick to my stomach when I hear this word used in reference to cakes.

Never thought about the "feeds 60" but I agree it should be "serves".

And when people misuse terms in general.  Asking for a "full sheet cake" when they mean one that serves 20; asking for a 3 tier to feed 20 people (i flat out tell them "You can't have 3 tiers for 20 people"). Asking for their 3-tier cake to be "pre-cut" (Yep, my very VERY first wedding cake.  The bride actually asked for this.)

And the word that makes me see red flags and hear warning whistles go off:  WHen a client would use the word "simple" in describing what kind of cake they wanted. icon_eek.gif  Not kidding, when they finished, I'd pull out my gramma-look and say, "I'm still waiting for you to get to the 'simple' part....."icon_rolleyes.gif

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 10:00pm
post #67 of 110

AI switched the sentences when I was reading so oy read like "I felt like I could cut it all off , but I know I would regret it. I sometimes with I was going to die from over heating. " I was like O_O.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 10:05pm
post #68 of 110

AFondant the French word means melting, so if they want a melting cake I guess they could have one!

sixinarow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 10:10pm
post #69 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi 

And the word that makes me see red flags and hear warning whistles go off:  WHen a client would use the word "simple" in describing what kind of cake they wanted. icon_eek.gif  Not kidding, when they finished, I'd pull out my gramma-look and say, "I'm still waiting for you to get to the 'simple' part....."icon_rolleyes.gif

Aarrgggh!! "Simple"!!! I think people confuse clean lines and simple. 

Annabakescakes Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 10:38pm
post #70 of 110
Quote:

Agree with curd .... always make me think of curdled milk or cottage cheese.  Who wants THAT in their cake?

Agree with Dirty-Ice ... that sounds just disgusting!  Who would even use a term like that to start with?

Add to the list:  Slab cake (in lieu of sheet cake).  A 'slab' is what they put the dead body on in the morgue.  I also get this visual image of someone saying the word and really stretching out the "a" part ("sl-a-a-a-a-a-b") while their tongue hangs down to their chin.  My mother used this term and for some reason she always stretched out the word and it seriously makes me sick to my stomach when I hear this word used in reference to cakes.

Never thought about the "feeds 60" but I agree it should be "serves".

And when people misuse terms in general.  Asking for a "full sheet cake" when they mean one that serves 20; asking for a 3 tier to feed 20 people (i flat out tell them "You can't have 3 tiers for 20 people"). Asking for their 3-tier cake to be "pre-cut" (Yep, my very VERY first wedding cake.  The bride actually asked for this.)

I so agree with slab cakes too. I couldn't put my finger on why I hated it, but now I know why, and will never forget it...bleh!

I get that "full sheet" sheet all the time. I just immediately ask how many they need to serve...And that was often my question in the first place, when they answer with "a full sheet", so I just say it again.

I have a consultation for a "simple cake with piping" tomorrow, we shall see, won't we?

Annabakescakes Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 11:36pm
post #71 of 110
Quote:

Quote:

My husband is a long hair guy too, but man, it gets SO friggin' hot in the summer especially. Then I have breakage underneath from being pulled up too much. *sigh* 

OMG! Is that what the breakage is from?? It is always shorter in the underside, I just thought it was either growing slower, or maybe it was from getting knotted in the back while I am in bed, since I throw it over my pillow, to keep it off my neck..

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 12:05am
post #72 of 110
Quote:
<<snip>> A 'slab' is what they put the dead body on in the morgue.  I also get this visual image of someone saying the word and really stretching out the "a" part ("sl-a-a-a-a-a-b") while their tongue hangs down to their chin.

Oooooh, flashback to Rocky Horror Picture Show: "Let's go up to my laaab, and see what's on the slaaab."

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 12:06am
post #73 of 110

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

OMG! Is that what the breakage is from?? It is always shorter in the underside, I just thought it was either growing slower, or maybe it was from getting knotted in the back while I am in bed, since I throw it over my pillow, to keep it off my neck..

Tie it up when you sleep!! It stopped my uber long hair from knotting at night. Sock bun at night also equals lovely curls in the morning :)

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 12:10am
post #74 of 110
Quote:

I have these annoying wisps over my ears, that no amount of hairspray or bobby pins will keep in place, from being pulled into a tight ponytail everyday in the kitchen.

I've started french braiding it from the crown down, and pinning it up at the neck, and wearing a scrub hat to keep the wisps at bay, (and out of the batter). The annoying breakage has pretty much stopped.

Now the hubby likes to make surgery cracks every time I go into the kitchen.

sixinarow Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 12:21am
post #75 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicake 

Tie it up when you sleep!! It stopped my uber long hair from knotting at night. Sock bun at night also equals lovely curls in the morning icon_smile.gif

I do the sock bun a lot at night!!  Doesn't help with the breakage tho..I like to think of it as DIY internal layering. icon_rolleyes.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 1:02am
post #76 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

Quote:

I have these annoying wisps over my ears, that no amount of hairspray or bobby pins will keep in place, from being pulled into a tight ponytail everyday in the kitchen.

I've started french braiding it from the crown down, and pinning it up at the neck, and wearing a scrub hat to keep the wisps at bay, (and out of the batter). The annoying breakage has pretty much stopped.

Now the hubby likes to make surgery cracks every time I go into the kitchen.

I am learning all the time here, I had no idea that is what the wisps are from, either! I am so sick of my ugly bun that I often think about putting it in two braids, like Pippi Longstocking, lol. I have done it a couple times, but I feel like a tool. My husband likes it though... ALOT, lol. Plus, all my layers stick out like crazy spikes.

I can't French braid my own hair, I wind up with the braid upside down and inside out. It is ^^^^^^ shaped, rather than VVVVV and sits on top, rather than being French braidy...KWIM? It is weird, and I can't replicate it on anyone else's head. Plus, it hurts my shoulder to be up like that.

Quote:

Quote:

Tie it up when you sleep!! It stopped my uber long hair from knotting at night. Sock bun at night also equals lovely curls in the morning icon_smile.gif

I do the sock bun a lot at night!!  Doesn't help with the breakage tho..I like to think of it as DIY internal layering. icon_rolleyes.gif

I flip my head over and cut it straight across, then turn my head in either direction and do it again. It makes the prettiest free layers. I just have a few strays here and there I snip off once I flip my head back over. I am cheap, and I have never NOT had to cut it some more when I got home, after a professional cut, so I just cut out the middle man ;-)

Quote:

Quote:

My "twist bun" makes the loveliest curls, I wish I could get a permanent done like that, I have aften thought about trying to get a home perm and squish it into my loose hair and then twist it up, but I always imagine it breaking off at the scalp, all at once and having a burr cut! EESH!

Anyone have any idea why it could be getting so thin, while we are on the subject? falls out by the handful, I got special shampoo that cost $40 a bottle

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 1:45am
post #77 of 110

AHair can fall out from stress. It can also become brittle if you are not getting enough EFAs (essential fatty acids). It takes time to see results if you start taking supplements, but it is worth it to take a good quality fish oil. (I am not a doctor; I cannot prescribe internal supplements; but I am a professional giving an opinion :-) )

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 1:50am
post #78 of 110

AI put oil in my hair every day and have ridiculously thick hair. So thick I can't even use those butterfly clips. Macademia oil is magical! I use a few drops throughout all my hair before blow drying and them a few drops on the ends every night. Few drops is key though, more than that and it looks greasy and gross

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 1:54am
post #79 of 110

AAlso, fish oil (or other EFAs) are good for your skin, eyes, brain, hair, guts...

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 2:17am
post #80 of 110

ditch the shampoo! Best thing I have ever done for my hair! I lost all mine due to illness a couple years ago, it was down to my bottom, never cut. it finally started growing back just over a year ago and it's already midback.

No-poo, apple cider vinegar rinse instead of conditioner and a touch of coconut oil as a leave-in. Still haven't found a single split end, and it's growing way faster than the usual 1/2 inch per month. (and I've had a hella lot of stress the past year, and lost some in clumps a few times due to that)

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 2:45am
post #81 of 110

My hair was down to my waist until 8 months ago when I finally cut it off really, really short.  I would pull it up in a pony tail and then put a rubber band every 2 inches or so to keep the strays confined.  I've never been able to stand my hair in my face or on my neck - even when it was long. 

I've always had enough hair for 2 or 3 people, but I did notice that the longer it grew the thinner it got.  Maybe something to do with the weight and stretching.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 3:28am
post #82 of 110

AAny body gray early? I'm only 25 and have soo much gray hair and I don't know why I hate it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 4:08am
post #83 of 110

...........cake "feeds" 60 people.......   I picture  people at a trough stuffing themselves.........

Oooohhhhhhh I so agree w/you on this one.  I also HATE using the term 'cook' when talking about *BAKEing* a cake.  And cake balls sort of rackles my  hide but not as bad as the others.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 4:32am
post #84 of 110
Quote:

Any body gray early? I'm only 25 and have soo much gray hair and I don't know why I hate it.

Mine started when I was 21 (I joke to my Dh that that's when we met!). I've been coloring for years and years icon_sad.gif.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 4:56am
post #85 of 110

AI hate when people add chocolate to whipped cream and call it mousse.

Annabakescakes Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 4:56am
post #86 of 110

I did a quick search on shampoo alternatives, and a lot say just condition, but I have greasy hair. I know washing it too much can make it greasier, but at most, I was it every other day, and use waterless shampoo on the top on the off days. Otherwise, the length of it gets too dry....

I have also developed a sensitivity to SLS, which makes my head itch like lice, but with no flaking, thank Gawd...Anyways, I have been buying $23 a bottle shampoo, and I am out, so I think I will be trying the baking soda "wash" and apple cider rinse with coconut oil conditioner. I made these choices because I already have it all out in the bakery, and my hair is too greasy to leave the house, lol.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 4:58am
post #87 of 110

AHaha, good luck

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 5:02am
post #88 of 110
Quote:

I did a quick search on shampoo alternatives, and a lot say just condition, but I have greasy hair. I know washing it too much can make it greasier, but at most, I was it every other day, and use waterless shampoo on the top on the off days. Otherwise, the length of it gets too dry....

I have also developed a sensitivity to SLS, which makes my head itch like lice, but with no flaking, thank Gawd...Anyways, I have been buying $23 a bottle shampoo, and I am out, so I think I will be trying the baking soda "wash" and apple cider rinse with coconut oil conditioner. I made these choices because I already have it all out in the bakery, and my hair is too greasy to leave the house, lol.

I use baking soda maybe once a week, I am a 'big hair' fiend when I'm not in the kitchen, so I get hairspray build up otherwise.

I used to wash mine daily, now it can go a few days before getting nasty and greasy.

Annabakescakes Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 5:10am
post #89 of 110
Quote:

I hate when people add chocolate to whipped cream and call it mousse.

I hate it when I see mousse, whether it be whipped cream, bettercreme, pudding with cream in it, or actual mousse, spelled mouse, or mousee. It makes me gag.

While I am on the subject of small rodents, I also hate chocolate jimmies...

kaylawaylalayla Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 5:17am
post #90 of 110

AHahah. I'm not sure about how I feel about the teem jimmies either. Since its not something that is said inthe area where I grow up I feel like a phony when I ask for jimmies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%