Rice Paper Or Icing Paper

Decorating By chezzabelle Updated 13 Jun 2013 , 5:57am by chezzabelle

chezzabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezzabelle Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 8

AI am making a cake for my friend and she wants a photo put on top i have found a seller on ebay that does the print out but i was wondering whats easier to use rice (wafer) paper or icing paper?

7 replies
chezzabelle Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 8

ABump

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 8

Icing paper???

Are you asking about an edible image?  Definitely do that.  It will soften and meld into the icing.

Wafer paper stays firm and is difficult to cut thru.

I've never tried an image on sugar sheets, but I don't think they'd be my first choice either.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 8

I have been using both a lot lately.

As far as ease of use, the rice paper is easier as there is no peeling it from the backing and applying, you just set it on the cake.

As far as quality, the icing sheet provides a much cleaner, clear picture. For a photo, I would do the icing/ frosting sheet .

chezzabelle Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 8

AYeah sorry meant for a photo. I will buy the icing sheet then they just scare me incase i cant get it off the plastic backing :-S

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 3:25am
post #6 of 8

If someone is going to print it for you they will use the medium that will work best in their printer.  Most likely it will be a frosting sheet (icing paper).  Wafer paper will gum up in some printers :(  It also is harder to cut once on a cake.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 5:21am
post #7 of 8

I use both, but for photo's of people I most definately use frosting sheets.  They are very easy to work with as well.  I run the back of the frosting sheet against the sharp edge of a counter top.  If it doesn't loosen right away, then I place it in the freezer for just a couple of minutes.  It will get as hard as a cracker, so be careful not to bump it on anything but will easily remove from the backing.

By the way, frosting sheets were made to be used only with inkjet printers.  Sometimes people use laser printers and that's why they melt.  Both frosting or wafer paper.

chezzabelle Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 5:57am
post #8 of 8

AThanks for the info its really helpful :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%