Newbie Buying Cookie Cutters Which Ones First?

Baking By smittyditty Updated 18 Jul 2013 , 2:05pm by BobbiR

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 25

Ok so I searched the forums and can't find this question anywhere. I am starting up my own cottage food bakery. I am going to sell cakes and cookies. (I hate cupcakes)

Anyhow I have found lots of great websites to buy cookies through the forums, but don't know where to begin? If I'm gonna buy cutters I want to start with the main shapes and branch out but since they are so versatile. e.g. Heart turned into Bug.    I'm not sure where to start?

So my questions are-

1. Which cutters(shape) do you use the most? Your go to cutter?

2. I've seen those 101 cutter kits are those worth it? Or is there a good giant starter kit you'd recommend?

3. After that which is the first holiday set you'd buy? I'm assuming Christmas but maybe I'm wrong?

4. Once you buy the normal amount of cutters do you then charge a person if they want something special or is the cutter always just part of ingredients charge..or free?

Thanks for the help and if I missed it in a forum I'd be glad to read just post the link.

Jamie

24 replies
JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 25

I am not in the cookie business but you might want to look at the Ateco line of cutters.  For example my circle set has 11 sizes.  My blossom set has 6 sizes.  My diamond set has 8 sizes - you get the picture. They come in all kinds of basic shapes and more.  I personally think they are a good bang for the buck but maybe others will chime in with more experience. 

Jeanne

PS.  I'm just curious - What's to hate about cupcakes? :)

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 12:00am
post #3 of 25

I would think about holidays and events, and buy from there.  And of course your idea about multi-taskers: a basic round cutter is a smiley face, a peace sign, a basketball, a beach ball, etc.

I just ordered a pennant, I thought I would get a lot of use out of it (for high school teams, homecomings,  colleges, sporting events with favorite teams, etc.).

Liz

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 12:16am
post #4 of 25

Unless you are doing highly detailed cookies, the 101 is a great place to start.  Circles sets, gingerbread men, square/rectangle sets,  and basic flowers will cover most things.  The 101 will have many of the holidays.  Anything else should be purchased as needed and costs rolled into the pricing for the project(ie. wedding cake, bride and groom, etc.).

smittyditty Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 12:18am
post #5 of 25

Jeanne- Personally I find that as a home baker with a kitchen aid it takes too long to make that much frosting for cupcakes. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I like that nice swirl on the top which requires lots of frosting. So I feel like I spend more time frosting than decorating which is what I like.

I also don't find it as calming as cookies or cakes. Just a personal thing. Thanks for askingicon_wink.gif

As for the multiple cutter packs are those used a lot in say a bundle.

What I'm thinking of is the pretty 12 batches that have theme vs ordering 12 of the exact same cookie.

Maybe this is a dream world and in reality most people only buy large amounts of say two cookies?

So if in my dream world people really do buy the pretty theme batches where you use quite a few different shapes I could see the cutter packs of same shape come in use. Is that what your saying? Or just that they are a great deal for that many?

Liz- Thanks so I need round and square as a base for sure...how bout the scalloped edge ones?

You could make the scallop with just the RI so not sure how needed they are. Oh and yes I think a pendant one is a great idea.

Also mini cutters? Feelings? I could see this as a new addition...love mini stuff and have held off but cutters I'm not sure..lol.. how small is too small as well?

smittyditty Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 12:21am
post #6 of 25

**addiction*** to mini cutters typo

Thanks Matt for answering pricing ? too.

liz at sugar Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 12:44am
post #7 of 25

I like the scalloped and star (pointed scallop) cutters, too.  I use the Ateco pointed scallop a lot, with sugar cookies and Springerle cookies.

I think it would take as long to decorate a mini as a regular size, and it would be harder to price it "attractively".  I generally stick with 3"/4"/5" size cutters.

I would pick the shapes you like to decorate for each season, and offer those to customers, just guide them to what you have, instead of letting them dictate any random idea they might have (and have to buy a cutter you might not use again).

Liz

smittyditty Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 1:04am
post #8 of 25

Liz- Gotcha that is good advice. I'm thinking mini cutters for maybe cutouts in larger cookies like I've see. Although I could see a customer complaining cause part of the cookie is missing? lol Even though it has beautiful time consuming lace on the cookie..they cry cause a tiny heart is cut out??? Maybe not?

I'm so dying to make cookies and I am without table for now.icon_cry.gif

smittyditty Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 2:17am
post #9 of 25

anybody else with suggestions?

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 3:18am
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

Jeanne- Personally I find that as a home baker with a kitchen aid it takes too long to make that much frosting for cupcakes. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I like that nice swirl on the top which requires lots of frosting. So I feel like I spend more time frosting than decorating which is what I like.

I also don't find it as calming as cookies or cakes. Just a personal thing. Thanks for askingicon_wink.gif

As for the multiple cutter packs are those used a lot in say a bundle.

What I'm thinking of is the pretty 12 batches that have theme vs ordering 12 of the exact same cookie.

Maybe this is a dream world and in reality most people only buy large amounts of say two cookies?

So if in my dream world people really do buy the pretty theme batches where you use quite a few different shapes I could see the cutter packs of same shape come in use. Is that what your saying? Or just that they are a great deal for that many?

I was just thinking of basic shapes.  Not sure what you mean by "bundle".   I have used the same shape in different sizes for a stacked look but I use them mostly for fondant & gum paste. I'm glad others with more cookie experience have posted to give you other ideas :)

Jeanne

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 11:29am
post #11 of 25

AI agree with everyone else about the basic shapes. I recommend getting an Amazon Prime account for free shipping on lots of cake items. Amazon has a lot of these sets.

As for designs, you can't go wrong with Karens Cookies, Foose Cookie Cutters or my new favorite, Cheapcookiecutters.com . They have over 2000 cutters.

Also plaques shapes are very hot right now. Karens has a lot. Also try an Etsy shop named Plastics in Print.

liz at sugar Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 11:40am
post #12 of 25

mbranko24 - How do you like the Plastics in Print cutters?  I was afraid they would melt if I forgot what they were made of and stuck them in the dish machine.

I agree on the Amazon Prime account - you can't beat free 2 day shipping on everything for a year ($79).  Lots of free shows and movies for my daughter to watch for free as well.

For classic designs, I like copper cookie cutters, just because I also like to collect them.  I use ecrandal.com and coppercookiecutters.com, and have gotten a few Wilton copper ones a while back.  I have some of the modern plaque shapes, too, and love those.  For anything really trendy (mustaches, anyone?) I just get the cheaper metal ones.

Liz

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 3:56pm
post #13 of 25

I really love all the cutters I purchased on Cheapcookiecutters.com.  They have a number of character cutters that you can't find anywhere else.  I purchased from Plastics in Print.  I really like their cutters as well.  Good luck.

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 5:51pm
post #14 of 25

AI luckily have never put them in the dishwasher. I always wash by hand.

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 8:27pm
post #15 of 25

Your most go to shapes are round and round fluted! Get as many sized as you can! Then square. Plaques are really in style right now. if you really want holiday cutters go for the 101 cutter pack. wilton has a few and theyre a great size and cheap. And an alphabet set. (wilton has one too) Then go to cookiecuttercompany and splurge once the orders start coming in. It is addictive though and nine times out of ten you wont use the cute animal and themed cutters often. Round, square, heart! rack up!

smittyditty Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 4:41am
post #16 of 25

ASorry was out hunting thrift stores for cutters today figured load up on cheap ones before I buy. Thanks everyone for all the advice. Good to know about the animal cutters not being used. I already went to cookie cutters and filled my basket with 22 cutters then somehow deleted the window :( lol.. I actually have a prime membership and up to this thread was never going to do it again! So I guess I'll find a new use. I like my netflixs way better for viewing and it seemed everything I was buying was from companies and amazon didn't sell the item so that is really good to know. Ill start utilizing that more because I still don't think I've made up half the $79. When I said bundle, because I'm cookie lingo challenged, I mean a theme like tea party. So I have seen these with say a teacup, teapot, and various sizes of circles or such. So do customers usually buy like 2 dozen cookies half teacup half teapot? Or a theme package where you have creativity to make 2 dozen based on tea party theme?

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 6:22pm
post #17 of 25

Ok, this has absolutely nothing to do with cookies, but I just laughed out loud at your signature line Lovelyladylibra!  I'd like to say, ditto :)

smittyditty Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 8:02pm
post #18 of 25

Ok well this is what I decided from what others have said and my own searching.

After looking to pic up as many locally that I can I also got to inspect those 101 piece sets.

In my opinion those aren't worth it for two reasons. After looking at thrift stores almost half of all those sets are holiday and those seem to be the easiest ones to find at thrift stores. This is taking into account a 40mile difference in stores to look..lol

So I figure get what you can at a thrift store by they others in those sets if needed.

What I think would be really helpful and useful first is like discussed above shapes.

Circles, plaques, squares, rectangles, then go from there.

So I hope that might help someone else in the future if they have the same question.

Thanks to all the posters that have helped me!

jgarratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgarratt Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 2:07am
post #19 of 25

AJust saw the nylon fat daddio sets they are great they wont rust and they float... Whiskcakes.com a new company in bc stocks them and buys factory direct so that means great pricing..

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 10:43am
post #20 of 25

Check out this blog, she uses average cutters in the most innovative ways! http://www.lilaloa.com

She really is amazing :) And she will help you make use of any and every cutter you buy.

Fwiw, I bought the 101 set and its been most helpful and best value for money, and since then I've expanded with some specific shapes (like stars in a set with different sizes to make a Christmas Tree with).

smittyditty Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 4:21pm
post #21 of 25

AThanks for all the responses! Ya it's not that the 101set was bad its just I got almost all the same ones from my thrift stores. I you don't have that kind of time the set is great.

I'd love some floating cookie cutters :) but I'd love floating cake tips more;) since they meet my garbage disposal frequently.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 6:21pm
post #22 of 25

If you are in the US where everything is easily available why rush out and but stuff just in case, wait till you get an actual order then you can justify the expense. I personally purchased cutters that I loved and NEVER used them for orders. The 101 kits are great for the price you are bound to use at lease 10% of them which is the cost of buying them individually. Here is a link that shows Wilton's 50 piece animal set:http://montrealconfections.blogspot.ca/2013/06/wilton-animal-cutter-set-outline.html which is IMO a great buy.

liz at sugar Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 6:52pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 
I'd love some floating cookie cutters icon_smile.gif but I'd love floating cake tips more;) since they meet my garbage disposal frequently.

Same here, and it is always the good icing tips that get ground up.

Liz

smittyditty Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 7:44pm
post #24 of 25

Montreal- ya i only bought a few so I have about 3 bins worth and I think in total I paid $4. I find them cheap lol.

Anyhow I'm only buying ones online I know I will use like squares, circles and plaques only like 2. So ya I'm gonna wait till I get an order unless its something I'd personally use like dinosaurs for my 3 year old. He thinks they are the coolest cookies ever!

Liz I just bought the dishwasher tip washer from hobby lobby for $5 after my coupon.

A bit much but I think it will be worth it.

BobbiR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BobbiR Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 2:05pm
post #25 of 25

cheapcookiecutters.com is amazing. I'd recommend a 101 kit. they have animals, holidays, shapes, numbers, and letters. Also I'd get wedding and baby shower cookies asap. I own a cookie business and i don't charge them for the cookie cutters. sometimes i just make my own cutters but mostly i buy as i go if there is a specialty one. i use the baby shower cookie cutters the most. also circles a lot! The basic shapes are great because if you don't have a specialty one you can make the image inside those. also ETSY is great for some cool cutters that are unique. my biggest holiday is xmas and valentines day which you get both in the 101 sets. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%