Sugar Sheet Disaster

Decorating By reidy Updated 5 May 2013 , 5:39pm by gwanma

reidy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reidy Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 6

Hello Everyone:  I have just completed my first cake using the Wilton Sugar sheets.  My friend's daughter wanted zebra print and pink, and doesn't like fondant, so I thought this would be a quick and easy way to get a cute cake for her birthday.  I found the sheets really easy to use and put them on the sides of two round tiers.  Added gumballs for the borders and I was done.  Unfortunately, now after about an hour, the sheets have started to sag and bubble.  I can't figure out how to fix them as any attempt to "smooth" them just results in a crease or the bubble moving somewhere else.  The zebra print isn't too bad as the imperfections are hidden in the pattern; but the pink layer does not look nice.  I pushed and smoothed the sheets on as best I could but now am wondering if anyone knows how I can "save" this cake.  It is completed and just waiting to be delivered in a couple of hours.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Also, can anyone give me an idea on how to prevent this the next time??

5 replies
punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry you are having trouble. I have used the sugar sheets once to decorate my daughter's college graduation cake. I went by the directions in the Wilton year book.  After an hour the diploma had broken and where I had attached the red sugar sheet to the black scroll sugar sheet wasn't pretty. You could see the scrolls through the red. So I had to make a new scroll out of fondant and cover the red with fondant also. The only help I can offer is you may want to call Wilton and tell them the problem you are having. I have found them to be helpful. They did refund my money because I went by their instructions. Hope you figure something out

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 6

Sorry I don't have an answer to your problem but I am planning on using sugar sheets for a cake in a couple of weeks so now at least I know there probably will be problems :(  Guess I might change the design I wasplanning on using :(  Now what to do w/the expensive s.s I can't use? 

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 6

I use them all the time with much sucess. I get air bubbles because I frost with non dairy whipped cream which is really "wet" compared to fondant or buttercream. With air bubbles. I just make a tiny hole in the bubble with a pin and press the air out.

I'm not sure why the sheet would sag on your cake, as this has never happened to mine. What did you frost with?

I know this answer is too late to help you out but it may help for next time! Here are some examples of the Wilton sugar sheets where I used them to cover large areas.

8" round, all frosted with Pastry Pride. Logo and bottle are edible images glued onto a gumpaste plaque. Ribbon is also gumpaste. Water droplets are thinned piping gel. Dots are modeling chocolate TFL!

trista4120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trista4120 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 1:23am
post #5 of 6

AI used it this weekend for a bikini bottom. Mine cracked and smeared. I had to use a wet paper towel to wipe the white area. I used mmf fondant Under neath for support used corn syrup to glue to fondant and tucked edges in carefully. Hope it helPs:-)

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

gwanma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwanma Posted 5 May 2013 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 6

AOh my! I could have written that complaint word for word. It was fine last night but got up this morning and it is ugly. I was so proud of this but now don't even want my GD to see this.it is Sunday so ill try to call the maker tomorrow, but of course will be too late. I used an all butter, buttercream frosting and put it on while fresh, not crusted. I'll try to poke some holes in it to see if I can get the air out but when I try to move it it tears.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%