Odd Question

Business By Texan Aunt Updated 24 Sep 2013 , 1:24am by Texan Aunt

Texan Aunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texan Aunt Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 6:52pm
post #31 of 45

Thanks so much for all the advice/warnings and encouragement, ya'll are great! My website http://www.thesummertimecakery.com and Facebook page (The Summertime Cakery) are up. Please check them out and I'll appreciate any feedback from ya'll.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 5:55pm
post #32 of 45

A

Original message sent by Texan Aunt

Thanks so much for all the advice/warnings and encouragement, ya'll are great! My website [URL=http://www.thesummertimecakery.com]http://www.thesummertimecakery.com[/URL] and Facebook page (The Summertime Cakery) are up. Please check them out and I'll appreciate any feedback from ya'll.

I like the design, but I'm not sure it fits with the name of your business, you may want to introduce some elements and color themes that relate more to summer.

You did an excellent job staging the photos, I recommend including a sampling of pictures or a slideshow on the home page along with some more info about your business (including contact info). For example, I noticed you have a free tasting on May 18th, but only because I clicked the Promotionals page...the tasting info should be prominently displayed on your home page.

You may also want to combine your standard and premium products into one category (selling both at the premium price or higher) since the price difference between them is so small.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 1:49am
post #33 of 45

Great job!  I love your website - it is amazingly professional, very easy to use and understand and seems to cover all of the necessary information.  Your photos are really professional too.  Best of luck!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:36am
post #34 of 45

ADefinitely an improvement on the design and color theme. You still need some cakes on the front page though. ;)

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 5:47pm
post #35 of 45

Your website looks great! a little nit-pick:  The word Promotional is an adjective for the missing/implied word Offer.  Either add Offers or change the word to Promotions.  

have a great summer! 

Texan Aunt Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 10:56pm
post #36 of 45

Thanks guys this is really helpful. jason_kraft thank you so much especially about the slideshow (that took a little bit to figure out on the website builder) lorieleann, I did not realize about Promotionals thanks! I will make the tasting more prominent when it gets closer. The reason that I have 2 different flavor categories is that the standard cakes are cheaper to make and I could possibly lower them some more if I get enough orders to buy ingredients in larger amounts. btw the pictures would NOT look near as good as they do if my mom and older sister had not helped me and several times told me a set up looked hideous which was true:P

Texan Aunt Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 1:31am
post #37 of 45

For those of you who wanted to know how my summer went here it is…

Short answer: GREAT!

Longer answer:

At the end of May right before school ended, I got in contact with the president of the local chamber of commerce. After several e-mails I was able to meet her and got some wonderful help and advice. I was able to work some with the chamber this summer and also provided cupcakes for one of their events in June. I met several great people and got a lot of advice plus several orders from the chamber of commerce members. I kept busy with orders this summer without having the business take over my whole life; I still went on a short vacation, hung out at the pool and had some fun besides making cakes. I have found out that word of mouth or meeting face to face with people is usually my best way to get orders. I also took the advice of several people on here to market as a limited time.

Because I had a well calculated business plan, a timeline for what to do before school was out and business started so that I was ready to go and make the most of the whole summer, correct pricing i.e. knowing all my costs for food, overhead, packaging, monthly expenses, etc., what I would make and not make such as no licensed characters or making less than a dozen cupcakes, I had a great summer and a successful business. I did have to turn down a few orders for various reasons and because I had correct pricing for my product I know it was out of some people’s budgets but, I didn’t try to change my policy just for one more order. At the end of the summer, I have paid myself for my start up expenses and also made money.

Thanks to the advice I got here did make the right decision to not try to hide my age even though I was still a little afraid I might sound like I was using it like a crutch. I tried to tell people more like “you should buy my cake because it’s good, and in case you’re wondering I’m also fifteen” instead of “I’m fifteen so you should buy my cake, and it’s also good”. I think I succeeded at that but I did find out it was a little easier to tell people I was in high school and then if they asked further, which most of them did, tell them my actual age. Thanks for all the awesome advice on this thread and all the other forums! And in case any of you are wondering, I'm planning on doing this again.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 3:03am
post #38 of 45

That is great!  It is nice to hear about your success!

Liz

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 6:20am
post #39 of 45

So great to hear your summer was a success and a blast..  What a good experience for you to be able to work with the chamber of commerce.  Have a great year in school!

Jeanne

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 6:47am
post #40 of 45

Congratulations, it's great to hear that it went well.  As you have discovered forward planning can make a huge difference.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 7:20am
post #41 of 45

AI wish all the adults starting 100 threads waiting to be spoon-fed every single detail from cake recipes to packaging to pricing to local laws would read this thread and take some initiative. A 15 year old managed to figure it out without plastering CC with 50-11 "HELP" threads.

Congratulations on a successful summer OP.

just4fun26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just4fun26 Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 10:33am
post #42 of 45

AWOW!!! First off, at 15 I didnt even know what I wanted to do when I "grew up." Heck, I'm 27 and still unsure.

I don't know you, but I'm proud of you. My brother is your age and doesn't even know what a business plan is, he is not stupid just lacks the drive you very clearly have. I'm impressed and even a bit envious of what you have accomplished at your age.

The drive and ability you have proves that you will be very successful at anything you choose to do! Own it.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 12:51pm
post #43 of 45

Wow..the last few days we have had post from 13, 14 and 15 year olds. If I had a good head on my shoulders at that age instead of being boy crazy "I coulda been somebody. I coulda been a contedah" what movie was that from??

keep up the good work kiddo and don't quit when it gets hard!!!

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 2:22pm
post #44 of 45

A

Original message sent by BatterUpCake

Wow..the last few days we have had post from 13, 14 and 15 year olds. If I had a good head on my shoulders at that age instead of being boy crazy "I coulda been somebody. I coulda been a contedah" what movie was that from??

keep up the good work kiddo and don't quit when it gets hard!!!

The movie was On the Waterfront.

Texan Aunt Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 1:24am
post #45 of 45
Obviously been pretty busy, but wanted to say thanks for the nice comments, ya'll!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%