Which Agbay To Buy?

Decorating By fcakes Updated 9 Mar 2013 , 9:21am by fcakes

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 10

So I am finally going to get an Agbay after being on the fence for quite some time :) My question is - there are so many different ones... which one do you recommend please?

The biggest cake I've done is 14 inches round. 

Here's a link to their products for reference - http://www.agbayproducts.com/products.html

Thank you!!!

9 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 10

AThere are really only 4 from which to goose. There are 2 sizes & each comes sinle or double blades.

I purchased the large single blade & am very happy. I do have to adjust the blade since I cut the top & middle but it's a nice starter. It's also upgrade able so I can add the double blade once I save enough money.

To me, it's a waste to purchase the small. Yes it's fine or most cakes, but what happens we you have a 14", 16", or 18"? I find the large a better investment.

BuffytheBakingSlayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuffytheBakingSlayer Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 10

I also have the large single blade.  Takes a little practice to get the hang of it (and adapt to different density cakes), but I absolutely love it.  I got the bigger one b/c you never know when you need a larger size and I didnt want to end up buying 2.

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 10

I've got the larger double blade model.  Love it.  Will be using it tonight to level and tort 8 6" rounds. 

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 12:15am
post #5 of 10

I have the large single blade Agbay and I love it.  I didn't think too big would ever be a problem, and I didn't want to regret not getting a bigger one when that large cake came up.  The smaller one may measure 12", but it won't level a 12" cake, because of the sawing motion needed, so that's pretty limiting.   I have also found that I like to level in from the sides to the center sometimes to avoid knocking off edges and or cutting fingers.  The larger blade allows you to come in at an angle and to come at those bigger sheet cakes from all sides.  I have never tried the double blade and can't compare, but I have also never wished I had it.  It is so easy to cut and adjust, 2 cuts is not a big deal. I figured I could get the double blade if I wanted it, but never have.  HTH

I just looked at the website - It looks like adding on the double blade after the fact, only costs $5 more plus extra shipping possibly over buying it up front. (for the larger one) So not much to lose by waiting if you are not sure.  

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 12:22am
post #6 of 10

Love my single bladed AGBAY, can't live without it.  I did purchase the styro cutting blade and have used it a few times to decrease the height of styro dummies when needed.  Slick and precise.

Roseyrod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roseyrod Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 12:45am
post #7 of 10

I have the large double blade and I just love it!!!!! It makes slicing the cake sooo easy and smooth. It's a really good investment!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 1:11am
post #8 of 10

I have the large single blade and I really love it.  I think I will upgrade it to add the second blade.  To level and torte at the same time would be pretty nice.

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 1:54am
post #9 of 10

I bought the single blade and wish I had gone ahead and bought the double blade.  I am saving so I can upgrade and add the second blade.  Funny thing is, all my cake toy money keeps getting spent on my grandson.   icon_biggrin.gif

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 9:21am
post #10 of 10

AThanks for the input everyone! I think I'll get the single blade large one then... The $195 one :) Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%