Baking A 14 Inch Round Cake In Home Oven

Decorating By LEMONTREECAKES Updated 8 Jul 2013 , 5:50am by cakeuk

LEMONTREECAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEMONTREECAKES Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 10:51am
post #1 of 15

Firstly apologies if this is not the right forum to be asking this question.

I am new to the cake business and am starting a cake business from home soon. I wanted to know how would i ever be able to bake a 14 inch round cake in my home oven? Has anybody come across this problem, and if yes, what is the solution to this? Please can anyone help me?

14 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 15

I bake them all the time at home, are you worried about it not baking all the way through?

I use an upside down flower nail in the middle of my bigger cakes if I am worried about that.

If not that, what are you concerned about? I did live in a flat in Scotland for a couple months that had a tiny oven, I couldn't even fit a cookie sheet into it. If it's something like that, I would invest in a larger oven asap :)

LEMONTREECAKES Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 15

Hello,

thank you for your reply. Yes I am worried about my oven being too small. Its just a single oven and I was just wondering if i got a wedding order where the bride wants a 14inch round cake or bigger whether my oven would support that. 

But thank you for your tip on the flower nail. I will give that a try. Thank you so much for your help.

:)

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 15

I only have a standard size oven and managed a 12" Round fruit  last year.  I double lined the tin with brown paper and extra brown paper around the outside tied with string.  I also loosely covered the top with grease proof for the first hour of cooking. 

A few years ago my mother baked a 12" heart shaped fruit for my sister's wedding, and had to turn it on her second attempt as the point of the heart burnt on her first attempt! She did have a smaller gas oven when she made that.

You will have to make sure your oven is totally level.  Good luck  icon_biggrin.gif

suzannem5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannem5 Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 15

In the 5 years I've been making wedding cakes I have only once been asked for a 14" cake so it might not be a request that you come across often enough to worry too much about it.  I found the 14" tin fitted better in my conventional oven (I had two ovens then - a conventional and a fan) so I baked two shallow cakes to ensure they were cooked through evenly. 

When I was shopping for new ovens recently I took my 14" tin with me and checked that it would fit in any oven I liked the look of before I decided what to buy.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 2:07am
post #6 of 15

I quite often do 14" and 16" tiers, your best bet is to do a test run before you get any orders and see how it turns out.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 2:35am
post #7 of 15

Google half round cake pans. They come in all sizes.

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 11:20am
post #9 of 15

I would love one of these half round cake pans just so when hubby asked what I had done today I could say "Well, I baked half a cake!"

SoDivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoDivine Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 12:13pm
post #10 of 15

They are good but they don't come in 14"over here...I know because I have been searching for one :-)

LEMONTREECAKES Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 11:26am
post #11 of 15

Thank you so much for your reply .

LEMONTREECAKES Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 11:28am
post #12 of 15

Wow, thank you so much everyone for taking the time out to answer my query. I like the idea of half round cake pans :) I appreciate all of your answers and help. Happy caking all you lovely people :) xx

Embles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Embles Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 11:36am
post #13 of 15

AIve got a standard uk intergrated oven and I can fit a 14 inch cake pan in my oven with about an inch to spare by the door. Been fine but could notfit anything bigger and Im quite glad about that lol

LEMONTREECAKES Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 4:54pm
post #14 of 15

Thank you  Embles, its nice to know I am not alone :) 

cakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeuk Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 5:50am
post #15 of 15

AEmbles, can I ask what oven you have I'm in the uk and looking for a new oven

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%