Favorite Cakes That We Keep Secret

Lounge By peppercorns Updated 28 Feb 2013 , 3:38pm by cakelady524

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 12:37pm
post #31 of 75

You should come and visit.  I made a zucchini tea bread to take out to a breakfast this morning and then this afternoon I made batards and then got the sour dough into the fridge to ferment so that it can be cooked tomorrow.  Bread is more dangerous to waistlines than cake cos you can convince yourself that it is good for you and have 2nd and 3rd and 4th and.....................helpings.  Probably the butter and honey and mulberry jam on the batards at tea time doesn't help either!!!

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:00pm
post #32 of 75

ABEST THREAD EVER.

AtomicBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AtomicBakes Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:21pm
post #33 of 75

I am normally a chocolate person, but I love Confetti Cake's recipe for white cake, especially with a drizzle of honey vanilla almond simple syrup and a good SMBC--any flavor will do. I despise American buttercream but make it on request. It gets scraped off my cake as though it were a deadly contaminant, though. For bread, I absolutely die and go to heaven every time I smell a loaf of Sugared Cardamom Braided Bread in the oven--and it's a Cooking Light recipe, so it's totally ok to snarf up half a loaf with some Lady Gray tea.......

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:26pm
post #34 of 75

Tea bread. . . . oh yeah. . . . the plan for today is a cran/orange and a date/apricot. Two of each--one for my little sis to take home since she's coming to visit, and one for DH to take on the road (he'll be gone for 3 weeks).  And if they remember to bring me birthday presents I may work up a bacon/cheese/sun dried tomato loaf for each of them also.  If not. . . oh well. . . more for me. . .(hehehe she chortles).  The bonus is its a single recipe that just needs two cups of any additions sweet or savory.  And if I have a mind to it can be made into muffins instead.

crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:30pm
post #35 of 75

AI would eat a loaf of warm sourdough bread with butter over a piece of cake any day.

My favorite cake flavors though are my vanilla cake with strawberry preserves and ABC or lemon cake with lemon curd filling and lemon SMBC.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 5:16pm
post #36 of 75

ASugar cookie DOUGH! I know it's got raw eggs, but I take my chances. I can't make sugar cookies...I gain about 5 pounds everytime I do!

cakelady524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady524 Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 5:44pm
post #37 of 75

All these comments is makin me hungrrryy lol...I would eat a HOT out of the oven yeast roll with homemade honey butter..any day of the week. Im from the south so I know all about starch lol...goes right to my hips! All things in moderation unfortunately thumbsdown.gif

peppercorns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peppercorns Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 7:17pm
post #38 of 75

Oh cazza1,  I am trying to take a nap, but all of these baked goodies are dancing over my head,  and one of them is calling my name.icon_twisted.gif grrrrr...he he thanks for the invite. I'm afraid our time is limited and we are spending some time in Cairns to see some friends then to Adelaide.icon_smile.gif

peppercorns Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 7:27pm
post #39 of 75

Hello cakelady524, I found a trick to hurdle that, when I know I'm baking hot  rolls for dinner I do not eat until then in anticipation of eating as many hot rolls as I could, I love sourdough bread especiallyicon_smile.gif  yum!

peppercorns Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 7:36pm
post #40 of 75

I have that before too, some bakers do not like to eat their own baked goods? By the way, I love your creations, so perfect execution of piping!princess.gif

cakelady524 Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 7:46pm
post #41 of 75

Sourdough bread with warm butter O M G lol soo good! ...I love starchy foods.. Ive been heavy in the past. I now am at a weight I can live with, jus  have to tell myself I cant have it. Im also hypothyroid so I have a slow metabolism..I now limit myself to 2 starch portions a day..no more. ...an did I read correctly that you (peppercorns) complimented me on my cake pics? sorry if I misread

cakelady524 Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 3:18am
post #42 of 75

I try the stuff I bake so I know it taste right....not brave enough to wing it. I wanna know what Im serving to my friends and family. Everyone is different tho. 

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 4:05am
post #43 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorns 

Hello Vista, seriously? What's for  dessert then? You are lucky if you don't have the sweet toothicon_smile.gif

Oh, believe me I have a sweet tooth!  But I tend to prefer pies, cobbler or cheesecake for dessert.  I only got into caking because I am a cheeeeapo!  I never pay for anything I can do myself, from carpentry to cutting my own hair.  I am even too cheap to buy disposable diapers, I made my own cloth diapers!

peppercorns Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 6:01am
post #44 of 75

Hi Vista, you are very funny, and to even recognize that is  awesome, you are one of the most pragmatic  caker ever, pies, cobblers, cheesecakes?icon_surprised.gif,I gain weight looking at them!

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 6:16am
post #45 of 75

Rose Beranbaum's chocolate oblivion torte with toasted hazelnuts and warm salted caramel sauce... my life changed the first time I tried that, and then again when I figured out the calories per slice...

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 6:25am
post #46 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

You should come and visit.  I made a zucchini tea bread to take out to a breakfast this morning and then this afternoon I made batards and then got the sour dough into the fridge to ferment so that it can be cooked tomorrow.  Bread is more dangerous to waistlines than cake cos you can convince yourself that it is good for you and have 2nd and 3rd and 4th and.....................helpings.  Probably the butter and honey and mulberry jam on the batards at tea time doesn't help either!!!

If you weren't on the other coast , you'd have me landing on your doorstep for afternoon tea.  Hmmmm I wonder if there are any cheap flights to WA icon_lol.gif

Chellescakes Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 6:37am
post #47 of 75

I actually don't have much of a sweet tooth , but anything lemon is a weakness for me. I also have never met a cheese I didn't like , my cholesterol level and Doctor will attest to that.  So a lovely lemony cheesecake is my idea of heaven. MMMmmmmmmmmmm

cazza1 Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 6:42am
post #48 of 75

Chellescakes, they don't know what cheap flights are in this part of the world.  Costs me nearly $1000 a year to fly to Brisbane and return, to visit my mum and dad.  And they still have to drive down from the Sunshine Coast to pick me up.  Costs as much for the one hour flight to Perth as it does for the Perth to Brisbane leg.  Too much money from mine workers in this part of the world, but they forget that most of us aren't in that wage bracket.

Chellescakes Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 6:57am
post #49 of 75

yes the fly in fly outers , ruin it for the ordinary Aussie Battlers. We are spoilt on the east coast , I got flights from here on the Goldie to Sydney for $29 each way a couple of months ago. Even here to Tassie I can go return for under $200. 

Where on the Sunny Coast do you go? My Mum comes from up there ( Forest Glen ) and I have heaps of rellys there. 

cazza1 Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 11:12am
post #50 of 75

Mum and Dad are in Alexandra Headlands and my brother and his wife are in Minyama Waters.  I keep saying that when hubby retires we are shifting over that way but more back in the bush.  The wind here in Geraldton is driving me bonkers!!!!!!!!!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 1:08pm
post #51 of 75

AI love bread too! I can't tell you what I would do to learn how to make a yeast roll properly, like the ones at Golden Corral.... I die and go to heaven, and could eat them for the whole meal! I followed some copycat recipes and mine are always course and weird :-(

cakelady524 Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 3:10pm
post #52 of 75

AAt annabakescakes..no kiddin! Mine aint quite right either. Probly a good thing tho lol

crustdust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crustdust Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 3:14pm
post #53 of 75

AHa! I can't tell you or it wouldn't be a secret anymore ;)

My family loves the glutenfree chocolate layer cake I make - probably the most requested cake but I only make it for family (or people with celiac). Also a big favorite are my brownies - Gawd, it's not even funny anymore how many brownies I make

cakelady524 Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 6:03pm
post #54 of 75

AMy girls an hubby drool over the word "brownies" lol..when I make'em Im lucky to get one :(...I like mine warm fallin apart with a glass of milk..slap yo momma 2 times! :P

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 7:00pm
post #55 of 75

My absolute fav is my Cranberry Cinnamon Cheesecake.. it is not as heavy as other cheesecakes or sweet so it is nice and satisfying.. It feels guilt free but so is not the case lmao.

Newstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newstead Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 8:02pm
post #56 of 75

Paula Deen's Chocolate Mousse Cake - the only totally from scratch cake that always comes out beautifully for me! Sometimes I cover it with a dark chocolate ganache instead of the icing... decadent!

Izzy Sweet Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 8:23pm
post #57 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes 

I actually don't have much of a sweet tooth , but anything lemon is a weakness for me. I also have never met a cheese I didn't like , my cholesterol level and Doctor will attest to that.  So a lovely lemony cheesecake is my idea of heaven. MMMmmmmmmmmmm

You should take a look at my Lemon Burst Cheesecake I do with a lemon curd topping.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 8:29pm
post #58 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Sweet 

You should take a look at my Lemon Burst Cheesecake I do with a lemon curd topping.

I would be interested in the recipe. Or is it a secret? icon_smile.gif

Izzy Sweet Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 9:26pm
post #59 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

I would be interested in the recipe. Or is it a secret? icon_smile.gif

I will send it to you

Chellescakes Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 11:23pm
post #60 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Sweet 

Can you send me the recipe too please please please 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%