What Is Wrong With Being A Newbie?

Lounge By enga Updated 23 Feb 2013 , 1:16am by SystemMod1

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 12:22am
post #91 of 98

OOOHH  come on, new people shouldn't feel like fools and old people shouldn't feel like fools.  No one wants to be that.  I just want people to to understand that there is a problem,  Cant' anybody see what I was trying to do?  I was not trying to make anyone feel bad because they didn't answer a post that might not have had the best delivery,  I was talking about people who were just plan mean and rude to people who were asking for help.  icon_cry.gif   uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh! (Pulling out hair screaming.)  Why is this so hard for people to understand?  I give up.  Let the stone throwing begin..... (shrugs and walks away)

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 12:38am
post #92 of 98

A

Original message sent by enga

I am asking you to stop being mean or rude to people who are asking for help.  I am being sarcastic and condescending to other people who are trying to say that I am doing the same thing as them, which is being mean to people who ask for help.

The best way to encourage others to emulate good behavior is to demonstrate said good behavior yourself. Sarcasm and condescension causes others to be less willing to hear what you have to say, which is at odds with your goal in this thread (convincing others to be more polite).

People who are "mean" to those who ask for help (not sure I've seen that happen much) have no such goal, since presumably they don't care about the opinion of the person they are being "mean" to.

BTW you may want to use the Quote button when you reply to a post, as it stands it's not really clear who you are talking to in your various replies.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 12:44am
post #93 of 98

AThis is still going on? Good grief! As Jason will tell you, sometimes (often) I will find myself terribly annoyed by him, but when he makes a good point, I can rise above and tell I'm that I couldn't agree more. It's called being an adult. And every word Jason has written in this thread is the honest truth. And when I disagree with him, I don't start a thread whining about him. (At least I don't think I have!) just take the bad with the good, thank people for the help they offer and ignore the part you don't like. Done!

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 12:52am
post #94 of 98

AYou make an excellent point. I'm one of those who is guilty of reading tons but not saying much because in most cases I don't have anything to contribute. But saying something like "wow I don't know but would love to see the answer" -- which is something I am usually thinking anyways -- DOES contribute something if it makes someone else feel like they have been acknowledged. Never looked at it that way and I can definitely say I will post more around here!

Original message sent by FromScratchSF

I just wanted to pop on and say that I'm happy to see so many user names on this thread that are unfamiliar to me.  New or not, participate more here!

Look, if you don't like tone of a thread, it really only takes a few of you to change it.  Look how easily a thread can get derailed - that can go either way.  But it only happens by new blood posting more, offering encouragement, or even just popping on to say "wow I don't know but would love to see the answer" or whatever.  Right now it's the same handful of people participating on the threads.  But I know there are a TON of people that visit and read daily.  If, say, 20 of them started posting a little here and there it would completely alter the topics, the way things are said, and the way things are read by even more new people.

Think about it!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 12:59am
post #95 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by enga 
I just want people to to understand that there is a problem.

Frankly, I don't see the problem. I read this forum constantly and have contributed as much as I can to help people. Even if someone asks "Do you have a recipe for cupcakes that taste like 'flavor.'" I thought it was a silly thing to ask, but I went to Google, searched for 'flavor' cupcake recipe and got more than 2 pages of recipes. I pasted thesearch results URL in a reply to OP. At least she was gracious enough to say "Oops. I guess I could have done that myself."

The times I have seen someone being rude and mean on this forum I can count on one hand. This is a molehill that's been blown up to a Himalayan-size mountain.

Mariposa77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mariposa77 Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 1:11am
post #96 of 98

AEnga I get it completely and thank you for posting on behalf of people like me who took a long hiatus from the site because of the treatment i personally received as a site newbie (there's a difference between a cake newbie and a site newbie).

If people on this site can offer help, the reminder to do so graciously was needed. If you can't help others on the site without being mean, don't help. Golden rule folks. Golden rule.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 1:13am
post #97 of 98

A

Original message sent by shanter

Frankly, I don't see the problem. I read this forum constantly and have contributed as much as I can to help people. Even if someone asks "Do you have a recipe for cupcakes that taste like 'flavor.'" I thought it was a silly thing to ask, but I went to Google, searched for 'flavor' cupcake recipe and got more than 2 pages of recipes. I pasted thesearch results URL in a reply to OP. At least she was gracious enough to say "Oops. I guess I could have done that myself."

The times I have seen someone being rude and mean on this forum I can count on one hand. This is a molehill that's been blown up to a Himalayan-size mountain.

WELCOME TO THE HIMALAYAS! Want a yellow snow cone? :-)

(I think we should all go back and make the right turn in Albuquerque and let the OP rant to herself...)

(This thread and the Attitude of one who wants puppies and disco dust is Abominable!

SystemMod1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod1 Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 1:16am
post #98 of 98

I think this thread has gone as far as it should.  Many opinions have been voiced and hashed out.  Thank you for your participation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%