Cake Layers ?

Decorating By feeln17 Updated 16 Feb 2013 , 4:04am by kikiandkyle

feeln17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feeln17 Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 6

i have a question for all you great cake people. when I take a cake out of the oven I somtimes lay a towel over it and compress the cake to make it somewhat flat. ( makes it easier to stack level) This sems to make a denser cake also. Is this not a good idea ? Or should i just cut them level ? Thanks for all thw help I recive from this site.

5 replies
COButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
COButterfly Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 12:00am
post #2 of 6

I think it might be a bad idea due to bacteria growth.  Is the towel damp or dry?

I always just cut my cakes level.

Pam1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pam1976 Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 12:03am
post #3 of 6

I always use a clean paper towel and press any humps down on my warm cakes!  I think I learned this from Sharon Zambito!  I think. 

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 12:17am
post #4 of 6

It seems to me that it would make a denser cake.  I just level off the domes after the cakes have cooled.  I like levelling anyway because it gives me a chance to taste test and be completely sure they are properly cooked.   Also, my teenage son appreciates the "scraps".  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 1:05am
post #5 of 6

If you bake the cakes at a lower temp it will bake up flat w/o that hump and you won't have to press it down.

I bake at 300 for about 20-30 minutes (depending on cake size) then turn it up to 325 for about an equal time until it is done (when you can smell that wonderful cake aroma in the next room).

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 4:04am
post #6 of 6

I bake at 325 to avoid the hump! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%