Things Not To Ask/say To A Baker!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 2:28pm by ch5964

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 10:05am
post #1651 of 3221

If businesses use Groupon...is it worth it in the end if it brings so much headache? Your statement kinda turns me off from using things like that when I am able to open my own business...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 10:39am
post #1652 of 3221

A

Original message sent by Sweet_Cakes

If businesses use Groupon...is it worth it in the end if it brings so much headache? Your statement kinda turns me off from using things like that when I am able to open my own business...

Isn't groupon having financial problems because businesses have stopped using it? Too many complaints from customers and businesses about it. I would skip it entirely, it doesn't bring the solid return business that most people hope it will, from what I' ve heard.

Check out the section under "legal troubles" about the coupon expirations. http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2013/03/01/firing-ceo-wont-end-groupon-woes/

lunawhisper0013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lunawhisper0013 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 4:06pm
post #1653 of 3221

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

Isn't groupon having financial problems because businesses have stopped using it? Too many complaints from customers and businesses about it. I would skip it entirely, it doesn't bring the solid return business that most people hope it will, from what I' ve heard.

Check out the section under "legal troubles" about the coupon expirations. http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2013/03/01/firing-ceo-wont-end-groupon-woes/

I knew someone who used groupon. It was a real problem. You have to charge 1/2 the going price at least and the company gets 1/2 of that. So you are getting 1/4 of your total but you have to pay taxes on ALL of it. The lady I knew was a massage therapist. She sold I think 200 massages through groupon and with the deal, only got 10 per massage. Each massage is 1 hour long. That's 200 hours of work for $2000. She doesn't take more than 4 clients a day 5 days a week. So she pretty much booked a solid 2-1/2 months for only $2000. And it made her less able to accomidate her full paying clients. It DID double her regular clientel after it was done but those 2-1/2 months were hell.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 4:06pm
post #1654 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunawhisper0013 

Yeah, well they can "entitle" their happy selves to a Walmart cake. We are trying to make a living.. 

lunawhisper0013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lunawhisper0013 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 4:09pm
post #1655 of 3221

A

Original message sent by shanter

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3056440/] [/URL]

LOL! Win of EPIC proportions!

costumeczar Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 4:27pm
post #1656 of 3221
Quote:

I knew someone who used groupon. It was a real problem. You have to charge 1/2 the going price at least and the company gets 1/2 of that. So you are getting 1/4 of your total but you have to pay taxes on ALL of it. The lady I knew was a massage therapist. She sold I think 200 massages through groupon and with the deal, only got 10 per massage. Each massage is 1 hour long. That's 200 hours of work for $2000. She doesn't take more than 4 clients a day 5 days a week. So she pretty much booked a solid 2-1/2 months for only $2000. And it made her less able to accomidate her full paying clients. It DID double her regular clientel after it was done but those 2-1/2 months were hell.

You have to wonder if doubling her clientele is worth the lost income during that time. I don't think that's the best way to increase your customer base, but groupon wants you to think it is!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 4:45pm
post #1657 of 3221

AI know that not everyone feels this way, but to me Groupon is the sign of troubled times. If you are so desperate for customers that you'll do a groupon, I assume you're going under or about to. Sure I use them, but I'm selective about where. I rarely go back somewhere and pay full price.

costumeczar Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 7:48pm
post #1658 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

I know that not everyone feels this way, but to me Groupon is the sign of troubled times. If you are so desperate for customers that you'll do a groupon, I assume you're going under or about to. Sure I use them, but I'm selective about where. I rarely go back somewhere and pay full price.

I just see it as somethng that people are using to try to build their clientele...But I also kind of feel that businesses who use them are suckers because they're probably losing money on it in the long run.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 8:04pm
post #1659 of 3221

my father told me that he's getting tired of my buttercream because it's too rich... *snort*

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 8:07pm
post #1660 of 3221

AI DON'T DO COUPONS. I know some ppl think its worth it but I just don't like what it seems to attract. Seriously not to offend. But once someone uses a coupon I feel like they are more hesitant to pay full price. They're always waiting for the next one. I cut regular customers a break every now and then.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 8:17pm
post #1661 of 3221

What about.  "I just looked on your website and see that you're booked on my wedding day, but can you make my wedding cake???????????  Huh!!???

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 8:42pm
post #1662 of 3221

A

Original message sent by morganchampagne

I DON'T DO COUPONS. I know some ppl think its worth it but I just don't like what it seems to attract. Seriously not to offend. But once someone uses a coupon I feel like they are more hesitant to pay full price. They're always waiting for the next one. I cut regular customers a break every now and then.

Yep...see the latest debacle at Jc Penney. Thy lowered their prices and eliminated coupons and no one would shop there. Once you introduce coupons, customers defy logic and their own financial interests looking a deal. They don't care about price and value. They want a sale.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 10:52pm
post #1663 of 3221

Exactly. If a store raised their prices by 30% and then offered a 30% off coupon, customers would be lined up at the door when they opened.

Sweet_Cakes Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 10:45am
post #1664 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

Exactly. If a store raised their prices by 30% and then offered a 30% off coupon, customers would be lined up at the door when they opened.

Again...what happened to common sense? I know that this is economics 101 but it's just people being too lazy to actually pay attention.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 10:47am
post #1665 of 3221

A

Original message sent by shanter

On the same note, something for $9.99 will sell quicker than something for $10.

Sweet_Cakes Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 11:24am
post #1666 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi 

When I worked retail I found this secret out really quickly...I don't understand it...now my mind is programmed to round up. It works when I really want something that I can't afford...all I do is round up and that prevents me from buying it LOL.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 11:37am
post #1667 of 3221

A

Original message sent by Sweet_Cakes

When I worked retail I found this secret out really quickly...I don't understand it...now my mind is programmed to round up. It works when I really want something that I can't afford...all I do is round up and that prevents me from buying it LOL.

Ditto! I've even said out loud that item x was $10 and had the salesperson say, "no, it's $9.99."

I usually get a goofy look on my face when someone says that!

thelittlecakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thelittlecakery Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 12:22pm
post #1668 of 3221
Quote:

Jeez, it's like "Hey, I want to buy a Ferrari but I only have enough for a Kia. That's cool, right?"   Sheesh! 

Now that is the best thing I have heard in a long time!

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 12:26pm
post #1669 of 3221

A

Original message sent by manddi

Ditto! I've even said out loud that item x was $10 and had the salesperson say, "no, it's $9.99."

Here in Canada where we will no longer have pennies they will still say something is $9.99 but if you give them a ten dollar bill to pay for it you won't get your parry back anymore.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:03pm
post #1670 of 3221
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Cakes 

Ditto!
I've even said out loud that item x was $10 and had the salesperson say, "no, it's $9.99."

I have had that same thing happen to me many times, and the best way to describe the look on my face is "pity", lol. Pity they are so stupid they can't see it is one cent away from being $10, or pity that they are so dumb, they think I will buy that it is only $9.99. I always round up. even $8.97 is $10 in my head.

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:16pm
post #1671 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittlecakery 

Now that is the best thing I have heard in a long time!

OMG,  No one is allowed to complain about paying $4 for a cupcake anymore because they are paying SEVEN for a freaking smores!!!!!!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/inventor-cronut-created-hybrid-dessert-222943405.html

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:33pm
post #1672 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklekat6 

OMG,  No one is allowed to complain about paying $4 for a cupcake anymore because they are paying SEVEN for a freaking smores!!!!!!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/inventor-cronut-created-hybrid-dessert-222943405.html

I actually think $7 is reasonable for that s'more concoction, given it's hand fired and applewood smoked.  Better that than the $1000 hot fudge sundae that is sold with gold leaf on top (somewhere in Manahattan.  Those dummy Kardashian's eat there.)  Apparently there's some really expensive imported chocolate on top. I'm happy with the normal stuff...it all tastes good to me!  As for edible gold leaf, man, they have quite the mark-up!  What I couldn't do with $1000 besides eat ice cream!  And all the hungry little mouths I could feed, too!!

http://icecreamjournal.turkeyhill.com/index.php/2009/09/03/another-look-at-the-worlds-most-expensive-sundae/

Sparklekat6 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:36pm
post #1673 of 3221

Yeah but you know the amount of work.  The masses don't get it and they can't complain about a $4 cupcake if they are not going to complain about a $7 smores treat.  

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 6:32pm
post #1674 of 3221

AWho says they aren't complaining?

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 7:04pm
post #1675 of 3221

AI've made s'mores from scratch. Homemade marshmallows and graham crackers from scratch with ghirardelli chocolate. It was way more work than cupcakes.

Sparklekat6 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 7:12pm
post #1676 of 3221

You could have stopped at homemade marshmallows and I would have paid 7 bucks no complaints!!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 7:48pm
post #1677 of 3221

What's interesting to me is how similar the recipe for homemade marshmallows is to homemade fondant...many of the same ingredients!

costumeczar Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 9:57pm
post #1678 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklekat6 

You could have stopped at homemade marshmallows and I would have paid 7 bucks no complaints!!

ooh, me too.

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 10:22pm
post #1679 of 3221
Quote:

I put my time in retail for 11 years.  There is a reason things go on sale 10 for $10.  People think they have to buy 10 to get the deal.  They cannot figure out they are a buck a piece and only need to buy one.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 11:38pm
post #1680 of 3221

AI like when someone picks their design them asks c An I see how nits going to look before i order it? Huh? No

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%