Things Not To Ask/say To A Baker!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 2:28pm by ch5964

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 4:29pm
post #2161 of 3221

I'm a home baker and I've been baking for over 30 years.  I have only gotten into decorating recently so I don't have any cake stories but I was known for baking bread and pastry.  I made bagels, challah, croissants, puff pastry, etc...  It used to drive me crazy when people would ask me, "Wow, this is sooo good!  What kind of bread maker do you have?"  I would always say, "I have it with me, want to see?" and I hold up my hands.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 4:31pm
post #2162 of 3221

AI get asked if I use a bread maker sometimes too. I hate that.

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 4:32pm
post #2163 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastrybaglady 

I'm a home baker and I've been baking for over 30 years.  I have only gotten into decorating recently so I don't have any cake stories but I was known for baking bread and pastry.  I made bagels, challah, croissants, puff pastry, etc...  It used to drive me crazy when people would ask me, "Wow, this is sooo good!  What kind of bread maker do you have?"  I would always say, "I have it with me, want to see?" and I hold up my hands.

haha ya people are stupid

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 5:17pm
post #2164 of 3221

Yes. Just as the tool I use to mix frosting, beat eggs, and mix my turkey-loaf (i.e., a dinner fork) is powered by elbow grease. The few times I've participated in the baking of any kind of bread, other than from, say, Bridgford's frozen dough, (back when I was in elementary school! We churned our own butter, too.), it was all hand-kneaded.

I find myself thinking of something the printer at the Colonial Williamsburg print shop said, when I was there last month: he kept referring to the wooden presses in use there as being "powered by beer." Or something traditional woodworking guru Roy Underhill said about great wheel lathes being "powered by cheap wine."

love2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2bake4u Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 8:33pm
post #2165 of 3221

For those of you that get the good old "it is just a cake or can't be that hard" I will tell you what I did.

I had a good friend who always ordered cakes from me and she had stated those same words a couple of times

so I told her to come over and watch me do a wedding cake that was due that weekend. During the baking process,

she complained about having to butter and line the pans (all of them).  Then she said just use a box mix...I rolled my eyes.

After the cooling, leveling, and crumb icing she was worn out....I had to laugh.  We were only a few hours into it and still had

much more to go.  After all the decorating, stacking, icing, dowel rodding it, and making other decorations she never ever stated again that

"it is just a cake or can't be that hard" She actually didn't think I charged enough for my time. :-)

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 9:56pm
post #2166 of 3221

And what of using a box mix?  It would have saved maybe 20 minutes in measuring ingredients.  You still would have had to do EVERYTHING else.  People are not smart. 

love2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2bake4u Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 11:55pm
post #2167 of 3221

AI'm sorry I should have clarified....I am a "from scratch only" baker. Nothing at all wrong with box.

sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 12:41am
post #2168 of 3221

A

Original message sent by Sparklekat6

And what of using a box mix?  It would have saved maybe 20 minutes in measuring ingredients.  You still would have had to do EVERYTHING else.  People are not smart. 

I don't think a box mix saves any extra time. I made WASC once to try it - it has more ingredients and was more involved than my scratch recipes.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 12:49am
post #2169 of 3221

Saves me a LOT of time. Probably because I am used to it and do it without thought. Probably the same as with your recipes. However with a straight mix it'sjust eggs and water. Sometimes oil. But of course it tastes like poo, at least to me

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 8:09pm
post #2170 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by love2bake4u 

I'm sorry I should have clarified....I am a "from scratch only" baker. Nothing at all wrong with box.

Oh no I wasn't suggesting you thought there was something wrong with box mixes, I just thought it was funny that she thought that would save sooo much time.  

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 10:36pm
post #2171 of 3221

I didn't know they offered a poo-flavored mix.

(Hmm. Would a cake shaped like Christopher Robin's stuffed bear taste like . . .)

hrrb1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrrb1977 Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 7:25am
post #2172 of 3221

Learn to say NO..............I NEVER ACCEPT LAST MINUTE JOBS....OR I DO CHARGE 3 TIMES THE VALUE OF THE SERVICE!!!!!!!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 2:14pm
post #2173 of 3221

AAre you saying you actually run across people willing to pay $900 for a $300 cake?

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 5:12pm
post #2174 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

Are you saying you actually run across people willing to pay $900 for a $300 cake?

At the very least, that poster is teaching clients how to treat them . . . don't try to order a cake last minute and not expect to pay for it.

Liz

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 6:43pm
post #2175 of 3221

Quote:

Are you saying you actually run across people willing to pay $900 for a $300 cake?

Ah, but on short notice, a $300 cake IS a $900 cake.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 8:01pm
post #2176 of 3221

Customer calls, emails you a picture of an elaborate birthday cake that will feed 75 people, yet they only need 20 servings...Wants to know how much it would cost.

"Oh WOW, I can't afford that.  This other baker is willing to do it for (insert asinine price here)."

Me, "Oh really?  Could you give me their number, I will have them do my my kids birthday cake from now on"

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 8:31pm
post #2177 of 3221

#1 i will NEVER be able to make a white chocolate ganache, without cringing, again. so thanks. :D

#2 someone called Friday afternoon for an edible photo cake for MONDAY. Nevermind that I'm not open on Sunday or MOnday, I job out edible images and would never have had the time to get it back from the other vendor. But she asked that inevitable and cringe-worthy question, "do you know who else can make it for me?" "Hell YEs!" I replied, "Because I want to inflict you on someone else, forthwith!"

I told her the grocery story could probably do it. I could hear her shudder over the phone. But what do you expect when you want something custom? 

"I'm also available, on short notice, to alter your wedding dress, steam clean your carpets, and plan your 50 birthday party. After all, I'm obviously magical..."

:ouch:

dreamycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamycakes1 Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 8:46pm
post #2178 of 3221

A

Original message sent by Nixs247

lol.. this is what happened a few weeks ago.

Customer: I need a 2-3 Tier Wedding Cake Me: So will that be a 2 Tier or 3 Tier Cake? Customer: hmmm....3 Tier  Me: Ok, so can you advise me of the Bride & Grooms Colour Theme Customer: The Groom is Black and his Bride is White!!!

Lol...I can't stop laughing...

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 8:50pm
post #2179 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paperfishies 

Customer calls, emails you a picture of an elaborate birthday cake that will feed 75 people, yet they only need 20 servings.

So why not do a simplified version at 1/3 scale?

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 9:24pm
post #2180 of 3221

ABecause she didn't want a simplified version, she didn't want what I could Offer them in their price range, she wanted the picture they showed me.

For this specific incident I'm referencing, she wanted to pay $50 for a 2-3 tier Minnie Mouse cake, including the delivery, lol. 0.o When I told her what I could offer her for that price range she scoffed and informed me other bakers quoted her $50, lol.

Ive had another wanting a 2 tier christening cake for her twins, complete with 2 gum paste rosaries, a large gum paste cross and her kids names. When I told her the cost of the two tier she looked at me like I had just offended her...I tried to work with her, scaling the cake down to a single tier, no dice.

Original message sent by hbquikcomjamesl

So why not do a simplified version at 1/3 scale?

howsweet Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 9:43pm
post #2181 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

At the very least, that poster is teaching clients how to treat them . . . don't try to order a cake last minute and not expect to pay for it.

Liz

It sounded to me like she was literally saying that's what she charges - maybe I misunderstood. Rare is the person who would pay triple for the fair price of a cake. But if you're only charging $35, at 3 times that, it may still be a bargain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Ah, but on short notice, a $300 cake IS a $900 cake.

If you want to approach it as if I was disagreeing with charging triple, and I wasn't if we're talking about a 24 hour turnaround, then I'd just say for me, any order with only 8-14 days notice is short notice. I wouldn't ask triple for that.  Anything under 7 days is not an order - just doesn't happen. Not even if they want to pay triple.

howsweet Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 9:44pm
post #2182 of 3221

Oh - I didn't notice it's the lighthearted funny thread - sorry folks :-D

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 9:54pm
post #2183 of 3221

Quote:

Oh - I didn't notice it's the lighthearted funny thread - sorry folks :-D

Oh man, now we're going to have to beat you with some MOIST cake!

:razz::D:razz:

hrrb1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrrb1977 Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 12:37am
post #2184 of 3221

YES......................

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 4:30am
post #2185 of 3221

A

Original message sent by hrrb1977

YES......................

yes what?

dee8457 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dee8457 Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 6:06pm
post #2186 of 3221

AOh no I got a good one. I made some high heel cupcakes for my niece she loved them so much that she called back and ask for the recipe so she can give it to her friend that was working in the bakery at Walmart and now she decided sh wanted to work from. Because her friend icing is too bitter when she uses dark colors. So she wants my recipe and good to help anther bakery. Ummmm no I'm trying to be successful just like her friend.

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 4:56am
post #2187 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paperfishies 

Because she didn't want a simplified version, she didn't want what I could
Offer them in their price range, she wanted the picture they showed me.

For this specific incident I'm referencing, she wanted to pay $50 for a 2-3 tier Minnie Mouse cake, including the delivery, lol. 0.o
When I told her what I could offer her for that price range she scoffed and informed me other bakers quoted her $50, lol.

Ive had another wanting a 2 tier christening cake for her twins, complete with 2 gum paste rosaries, a large gum paste cross and her kids names. When I told her the cost of the two tier she looked at me like I had just offended her...I tried to work with her, scaling the cake down to a single tier, no dice.

I would have said $50 !!!! WOW maybe you should give ME her number . Haha . I dont think the average person has a clue about cake decorating.

cak3m0m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cak3m0m Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 3:20pm
post #2188 of 3221

The weirdest ones I have ever gotten: Can you make a sugar free buttercreme?

I also got asked this by a client: I was contacted to make a pirate birthday themed cake. (keep in mind I don't know this person) She wanted to know what ingredients to buy so she could come over and watch me make the cake. Then she asked me if I would make it for free since she was going to buy the ingredients... really?!

SpeciallyYours Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpeciallyYours Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 4:44pm
post #2189 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

Oh man, now we're going to have to beat you with some MOIST cake!

:razz::D:razz:

Hehehe! :D

SpeciallyYours Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpeciallyYours Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 4:47pm
post #2190 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakery2012 

I would have said $50 !!!! WOW maybe you should give ME her number . Haha . I dont think the average person has a clue about cake decorating.

Simply put...they don't have a clue!!! :wink:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%