post #2071 of 3221

ASmash cakes if it's not a first birthday or a few cupcakes. :D

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 1:11am
post #2072 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by colieoh 

This thread is hilarious!

My biggest peeve is when people ask for pricing. When I ask what they want, size, flavor, decoration and they say "oh I don't know. Just give me an estimate." Sweetie, I have no idea what to tell you.My cakes can start as little as $15 all the way up to several hundred. I went around and around with one person several times because she just kept asking for pricing but wouldn't give me any idea of what she wanted.

Or the time I had to turn down a customer because I had a wedding and baby shower the same day and they had both booked weeks in advance. Because of the size of the cakes and wanting to spend whatever time I needed on the wedding cake, I turned her down when she ordered for that day a week before. She sent me a message saying "so you are only capable of doing one or two cakes a day? Is it really that difficult?" Wow.

This is where I would say "Well I thought that's why you're ordering from me..because you can't make one of my cakes in a day? correct me if I'm wrong ...Do you decorate too?" Act really dumb founded it adds to the innocence of the question rather than the pissed off they are an idiot response..:sssh:

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 1:25am
post #2073 of 3221

Wow...I hadn't finished reading her post. People don't realize the time involved. If everyone could do it then everyone would.....

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 1:44am
post #2074 of 3221

AI would have said 'feel free to have a go at it and let me know what I'm doing wrong'.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 1:45am
post #2075 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

I would have said 'feel free to have a go at it and let me know what I'm doing wrong'.

This!!

Liz

colieoh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colieoh Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 1:51am
post #2076 of 3221

A

Original message sent by smittyditty

This is where I would say "Well I thought that's why you're ordering from me..because you can't make one of my cakes in a day? correct me if I'm wrong ...Do you decorate too?" Act really dumb founded it adds to the innocence of the question rather than the pissed off they are an idiot response..:sssh:

I was nice about it, I just told her I was sorry I couldn't accommodate her that particular day and that tiered cakes could be a process that takes several days to bake, construct and decorate.

liz at sugar Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 1:58am
post #2077 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by colieoh 

I was nice about it, I just told her I was sorry I couldn't accommodate her that particular day and that tiered cakes could be a process that takes several days to bake, construct and decorate.

Nice of you to educate one more cake muggle!

Liz

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 2:21am
post #2078 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmanning 

I made a cake for my cousin's graduation. It was the first one I ever really decorated, everyone thought it was beautiful. My sister-in-law was asked what she thought about it, she said it looks "alright" and wouldn't even eat it!

She sounds like a gem!

glassfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glassfish Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 12:35am
post #2079 of 3221

I frequently get people who don't like fondant and tend to make rude remarks about it.  My response is always the same, "most people who don't like the fondant just peel it back and eat the cake inside.  It doesn't change the flavor of the cake but does tend to keep it more moist."

BatterUpCake Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 3:09am
post #2080 of 3221

In my experience people who complain about fondant have never tried a premium brand or homemade

liz at sugar Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 3:13am
post #2081 of 3221

I think homemade tastes just as terrible as the cheap stuff.  But most of all, I'm not a fan of the texture. :( 

Liz

smittyditty Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 3:20am
post #2082 of 3221

Can someone give me the link to that awesome blog that had like the Top 10 things not to say to your baker?

OR it was something like the correction to the top 10 things wrong with The Knots list. Can't find it and google and search on

here only brings up this thread. It was so good I want to post it to my personal FB for one of my friends and all future friends ordering from me!

They think I'm so mean because I say no and don't give free cake. Booo hoo...lol Lady tonight "Keeps saying so and so doesn't even like cake"

Then why are you ordering from me?  "Your cake is just a focal point we won't serve it" Then I'm not making it.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 4:30am
post #2083 of 3221

AI LOVE this thread!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 10:15am
post #2084 of 3221

Congratulated a friend on his impending marriage the other day and he asked me (tongue in cheek) if I knew a good cake decorator.  The look on his face was priceless when I responded that I knew quite a few and would look up their phone numbers for him when I went home.

I will most likely do this cake as a wedding present as I will have fairly free range but he was left speechless.

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 6:13pm
post #2085 of 3221

AGot a new one today! A voice mail request this morning, asking for a 90th birthday cake. This lady knew what she was asking for, because she was very specific on flavors, design elements, specified single tier only, etc., (most people if they are clueless use the words "1 layer" when they mean "one tier", so I knew she wasn't completely out of it.) And then she said she was looking for at to be a round 24 inch cake.

24 inches. Single tier. Did I mention I want round? Not a sheet cake style.

What the what?? Even if I could find a split round pan to make that, I'm fairly certain that a 24 inch cake, on a board a bit wider, would not fit through my door.

Unfortunately I'm already booked for that date, sorry.

ETA: the lady calling was not the 90 year old, but someone younger planning the party. So no, I can't give this one a sweet old lady pass. :)

BatterUpCake Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 6:21pm
post #2086 of 3221

This morning before I left for the restaurant my roommate crawled out of bed around 9 and said "Would you mind not taking naps during the day so you won't get up so early?"

Yes that's what I do all day lay around napping..except when the pool boy is feeding me grapes of course. Ummm...no, I got up at 4 so I could start getting things ready and do chores before going to work.

SweetCarolines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCarolines Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 8:52pm
post #2087 of 3221

Person: Don't trust a skinny baker hAHAHAHAah!1

Me: hAHAHAHAHAHA!! *clutches knife*

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 9:12pm
post #2088 of 3221

A

Original message sent by SweetCarolines

Loool!!! Yep, i'd probably have the same reaction!

SpeciallyYours Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpeciallyYours Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 4:57pm
post #2089 of 3221

:? 24 inches?!?! :-X

SpeciallyYours Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 4:59pm
post #2090 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebbyJG 

Got a new one today!
A voice mail request this morning, asking for a 90th birthday cake. This lady knew what she was asking for, because she was very specific on flavors, design elements, specified single tier only, etc., (most people if they are clueless use the words "1 layer" when they mean "one tier", so I knew she wasn't completely out of it.) And then she said she was looking for at to be a round 24 inch cake.

24 inches.
Single tier.
Did I mention I want round? Not a sheet cake style.

What the what??
Even if I could find a split round pan to make that, I'm fairly certain that a 24 inch cake, on a board a bit wider, would not fit through my door.

Unfortunately I'm already booked for that date, sorry.

ETA: the lady calling was not the 90 year old, but someone younger planning the party. So no, I can't give this one a sweet old lady pass. icon_smile.gif

:? 24 inch round!?!?! :-X

SpeciallyYours Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 5:00pm
post #2091 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetCarolines 

:D 

SpeciallyYours Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 5:08pm
post #2092 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by glassfish 

I frequently get people who don't like fondant and tend to make rude remarks about it.  My response is always the same, "most people who don't like the fondant just peel it back and eat the cake inside.  It doesn't change the flavor of the cake but does tend to keep it more moist."

I tell them "just don't eat it then!" Getting old, and less tolerant of stupid remarks! Closed my business, and just do cakes for family and friends, besides Fund raiser donation cakes/cupcakes. I'm not rude, but don't tolerate people's ignorant comments anymore. Of course, I try to do it in a "slightly" joking tone...but that doesn't always work either. Being retired, and not having to depend on or worry about selling is soooooo freeing!  I'm never overtly hateful, but can use a pretty dry tone!  :D

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 10:34pm
post #2093 of 3221

ARe:getting a cake through a doorway

Standard U.S. doorways are, if I remember right, 30-36 inches wide.

And it sounds like it could certainly be made by splicing and trimming sheet cakes.

Of course, every cake I've ever baked has been single-tiet, single-layer, and a good deal smaller.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 12:15am
post #2094 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

I think homemade tastes just as terrible as the cheap stuff.  But most of all, I'm not a fan of the texture. :(

Liz

Yeah, in my experience it's the texture that people don't like more than the flavor.

liz at sugar Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 12:38am
post #2095 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Yeah, in my experience it's the texture that people don't like more than the flavor.

I realize that the gums that keep it together and able to be rolled out are what gives it the texture that I find objectionable, but wouldn't it be cool to invent some kind of sprayed sugar coating that doesn't have to have the gums in there?  I have no idea how that work, but if it existed I would try it. :)

Liz

smittyditty Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 1:26am
post #2096 of 3221

Hello!!! I was just wondering how you price's are? Do you price by slice or per cake? I have been looking for someone to do my wedding & grooms cake! Thank you for your time!!

just got this one...lol..price by cake..

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 4:51am
post #2097 of 3221

A

Original message sent by IAmPamCakes

This isn't cake related, but baking related. I was working a farmer's market yesterday, and a lady came up to the booth looking at the gluten free stuff. She asked, "Is this wheat free?" I said, "It's gluten free, so yes, everything is wheat free. Wheat is where gluten comes from." She looks at me like I just landed in a UFO, and said, "But is it wheat free?" Me -"Yes." Her - "Because I know you can add gluten to stuff anyway. But this is all wheat free?" I just stood there, with no words.

This makes me want to curse. HOW MANY WAYS ARE THERE TO SAY IT!!!!!!!! [B]ITS WHEAT FREE[/B]

bakermhoi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermhoi Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 7:41am
post #2098 of 3221

This thread is an awesome find! I should have found this earlier. :)

Here's my story:

someone asked me to make a carrot cake with a cream cheese frosting on it.

but the catch is, i have to etch/sculpt some writing on it.

it sounds crazy, but i did it anyway.

i was challenged enough and thought it was fun.

at the end of the day, i thought if the client was crazy or if i was the crazier one, accepting his terms.

i charged a little bit more for the effort.

well, at least they said it was delicious. :D 

BatterUpCake Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 12:29pm
post #2099 of 3221

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittyditty 

Hello!!! I was just wondering how you price's are? Do you price by slice or per cake? I have been looking for someone to do my wedding & grooms cake! Thank you for your time!!

just got this one...lol..price by cake..

"I price by the oz consumed. The cake will be weighed before it leaves. Just bring back the uneaten portion and I will refund for the uneaten portion. Just don't try to put BB's between the layers so it will weigh more. People try that all of the time"

"I price by the centimeter."

"I don't price my cakes. I let the customer tell me what it is worth."

These just popped in my head

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 12:48pm
post #2100 of 3221

ABy the crumb.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%