Things Not To Ask/say To A Baker!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 2:28pm by ch5964

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 12:53pm
post #1561 of 3221

AI did it, and they got what they believe to be a $20 wedding gift. Would I do it again? Not a chance! Live and learn. :)

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:07pm
post #1562 of 3221

AI don't understand why you didn't tell them how much the cake cost to make.

You really did yourself (and the rest of us) an enormous disservice by letting them continue believing that a cake shouldn't cost more than $19.99, no matter the size.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:52pm
post #1563 of 3221

A

Original message sent by Godot

I don't understand why you didn't tell them how much the cake cost to make.

You really did yourself (and the rest of us) an enormous disservice by letting them continue believing that a cake shouldn't cost more than $19.99, no matter the size.

This was years ago, before I was doing this for anyone beyond friends and family. Sometimes one doesn't respond well purely out of shock; such was the case here. I was so stunned by the $20 offer that I was caught off guard and did not handle it well. Laugh at me, Godot, but please don't chew me out.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:07pm
post #1564 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish 

This was years ago, before I was doing this for anyone beyond friends and family. Sometimes one doesn't respond well purely out of shock; such was the case here. I was so stunned by the $20 offer that I was caught off guard and did not handle it well.
Laugh at me, Godot, but please don't chew me out.

I have a big-mouthed brother in law who's super cheap. When they got married they had a friend do the ceremony (free) they had their friends bring food to their house (free) and they had a friend who made their cake (free.) So he's convinced that anyone who spends ANYTHING on a wedding is an idiot and he used to say it all the time. He would say "How's the sucker business" as a greeting to me, until I got tired of it one day and asked him how much work he thinks goes into a wedding cake. He hemmed and hawed while I gave him a lecture about people being able to spend their own money any way they damn well want, and how the person who made their cake did them a big favor even though he doesn't seem to appreciate it. Then I asked him how his sucker business is, since he's a sales rep for a vitamin company and he goes around selling snake oil to people. He said "Those make some people feel better" and I told him that having a wedding and a reception make people feel better and they enjoy themselves, so he should just STFU. It took me a few times of him asking about the sucker business before I let him have it, though, since I was always so surprised that he would be so rude about it.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:19pm
post #1565 of 3221

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

I have a big-mouthed brother in law who's super cheap. When they got married they had a friend do the ceremony (free) they had their friends bring food to their house (free) and they had a friend who made their cake (free.) So he's convinced that anyone who spends ANYTHING on a wedding is an idiot and he used to say it all the time. He would say "How's the sucker business" as a greeting to me, until I got tired of it one day and asked him how much work he thinks goes into a wedding cake. He hemmed and hawed while I gave him a lecture about people being able to spend their own money any way they damn well want, and how the person who made their cake did them a big favor even though he doesn't seem to appreciate it. Then I asked him how his sucker business is, since he's a sales rep for a vitamin company and he goes around selling snake oil to people. He said "Those make some people feel better" and I told him that having a wedding and a reception make people feel better and they enjoy themselves, so he should just STFU. It took me a few times of him asking about the sucker business before I let him have it, though, since I was always so surprised that he would be so rude about it.

So awesome! :-D

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:21pm
post #1566 of 3221

A

Original message sent by Cakery2012

yea but it was on aluminum foil and a mess you get what you pay for :wink:

Well good, that makes me feel a little better! ;-)

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:33pm
post #1567 of 3221

A

Original message sent by as you wish

This was years ago, before I was doing this for anyone beyond friends and family. Sometimes one doesn't respond well purely out of shock; such was the case here. I was so stunned by the $20 offer that I was caught off guard and did not handle it well. Laugh at me, Godot, but please don't chew me out.

I hate when I get shocked by some stupid comment! I'm usually witty about 2 hours after I need to be.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:36pm
post #1568 of 3221

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

Wow... What a jerk! Also: wow! What an excellent response!

SpeciallyYours Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpeciallyYours Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 4:44pm
post #1569 of 3221

A

Original message sent by as you wish

This one happened years ago, but it still rankles me every time I think of it. My brother and his wife-to-be asked me to do their wedding cake. "Nothing complicated," (Warning bells!) "Just eight dozen cupcakes with a buttercream rose on each one and an eight inch cake to match for us to cut." Okay, I can do that. It was my intention to make this my wedding gift for the happy couple, but before I could tell them this my future SIL hands me a twenty dollar bill and says "This is to cover your costs."

OMG..... Unreal...but happens all the time! People have no idea, or have ideas that are not based in reality!! :eek:

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 5:02pm
post #1570 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi 

Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish 

This was years ago, before I was doing this for anyone beyond friends and family. Sometimes one doesn't respond well purely out of shock; such was the case here. I was so stunned by the $20 offer that I was caught off guard and did not handle it well.
Laugh at me, Godot, but please don't chew me out.
I hate when I get shocked by some stupid comment! I'm usually witty about 2 hours after I need to be.

Oh yeah, me too! I play it over and over in my head and mouth the witty comments for a while after, lol. Makes me feel better, eventually ;-)

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 5:08pm
post #1571 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

I'm applauding like crazy over here!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 6:09pm
post #1572 of 3221
Quote:

Wow...I feel sorry for your sister!  If he was that cheap then, think what he's like to live with now!   BTW how DID your sister feel about their bargain basement wedding?

Oh and if he had said something to ME about how the 'sucker business' was going I'd have said something like "Oh I don't know...how are your friends doing after you used their kindness and talents to play them like a cheap violin just so you could get off without paying anything?"   

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 6:11pm
post #1573 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok 

Quote:

Wow...I feel sorry for your sister!  If he was that cheap then, think what he's like to live with now!   BTW how DID your sister feel about their bargain basement wedding?

HAHAHAHA! Good question!

costumeczar Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 8:42pm
post #1574 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok 

Oh and if he had said something to ME about how the 'sucker business' was going I'd have said something like "Oh I don't know...how are your friends doing after you used their kindness and talents to play them like a cheap violin just so you could get off without paying anything?"   

Oh, it's my husband's sister, and she's cheaper than he is. They're perfectly suited for each other. Their bargain wedding is something they took for granted because why the heck would anyone want to pay for a wedding if you don't need to?

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 10:30pm
post #1575 of 3221

Today I am celebrating a corporate order that I received. I'm hoping it will lead to more work.

My brother is visiting and questioned why I needed more than 24 hours to complete a specialty order. I explained that just baking and cooling the cakes took time, and that each cake was made to the customers specifications, so it could only be made when the customer ordered it.

With a great deal of enthusiasm he told me that he could go the supermarket and get exactly what he wanted in 24 hours. When I told him that he wouldn't be getting anything like I could make, he made a very derisive snorting noise.

If I wasn't such a genteel person I would have hurt my hands strangling him to death.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 10:43pm
post #1576 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

If I wasn't such a genteel person I would have hurt my hands strangling him to death.

Definately don't strangle him. . . you need your hands for caking.

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 10:36am
post #1577 of 3221

You would think that families would be the most supportive...so sad...

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 12:42pm
post #1578 of 3221

AThere's a reason I've lived several thousand miles away from my family for close to 15 years!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 12:49pm
post #1579 of 3221
Quote:

Here's mine for today. A wedding cake request for next month, 40 guests, and they want to schedule a tasting and bring 4 people to it to taste cake. No.

The them sure, the fee is $xxx

costumeczar Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 12:54pm
post #1580 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse 

The them sure, the fee is $xxx

I'm booked anyway, but even if I wasn't I would have said that I wouldn't do it. People who wait until the last minute to order a wedding cake and are having a small reception, yet still want the bells and whistles, tend to be the most aggravating in terms of how demanding they're going to be. Not worth it.

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:23pm
post #1581 of 3221
Quote:

I'm booked anyway, but even if I wasn't I would have said that I wouldn't do it. People who wait until the last minute to order a wedding cake and are having a small reception, yet still want the bells and whistles, tend to be the most aggravating in terms of how demanding they're going to be. Not worth it.

What is the point of having a wedding to do list that is printed in EVERY wedding magazine and on EVERY wedding website if people are not going to follow it...urgh...

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:25pm
post #1582 of 3221

AOh but they sure take the bad advice of how to lower the cost! You know like dummy tiers or cupcakes.

gemmal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gemmal Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:28pm
post #1583 of 3221

:O after all this time I have something to post on this thread, with all you professionals! [feeling too big for my boots now]. My Dad is getting married soon and just in conversation asked if I'd do the wedding cake because it'll be a low key wedding, really only family, a few close firends etc and it'll be good for practice... "No probs dad, of course, it'll be a wedding present, I could do a nice but relatively small 3 tier thing". He genuinely looked at me like a cheapskate (now my family are in the major leagues of cheapskateory) and said something like 'yeah, a small [what he meant is cheap] gift is fine, I know you aren't exactly flush at the moment". I genuinely laughed so hard I snorted ALOT and said "yeah, small to the tune of at least £70 odd in supplies and ingredients and god knows how many hours of my life" and this man knows exactly how long things take and how much things cost me when I make cakes, we I talk about it all the time!

costumeczar Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 4:52pm
post #1584 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemmal 

:O after all this time I have something to post on this thread, with all you professionals! [feeling too big for my boots now]. My Dad is getting married soon and just in conversation asked if I'd do the wedding cake because it'll be a low key wedding, really only family, a few close firends etc and it'll be good for practice... "No probs dad, of course, it'll be a wedding present, I could do a nice but relatively small 3 tier thing". He genuinely looked at me like a cheapskate (now my family are in the major leagues of cheapskateory) and said something like 'yeah, a small [what he meant is cheap] gift is fine, I know you aren't exactly flush at the moment". I genuinely laughed so hard I snorted ALOT and said "yeah, small to the tune of at least £70 odd in supplies and ingredients and god knows how many hours of my life" and this man knows exactly how long things take and how much things cost me when I make cakes, we I talk about it all the time!

Hahaha! Tell him to go price shopping for a wedding cake and call you back when he's spoken to a few bakeries. He needs a swift kick in the reality pants.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 5:11pm
post #1585 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemmal 

"That's OK Dad, you feel free to `choose your own baker I'd rather buy you the $20 blender, anyway. That way I won't smell like butter at the wedding. ..."

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 5:47pm
post #1586 of 3221

A

Original message sent by ellavanilla

"That's OK Dad, you feel free to `choose your own baker I'd rather buy you the $20 blender, anyway. That way I won't smell like butter at the wedding. ..."

This. 100% this.

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 6:21pm
post #1587 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch 

Definately don't strangle him. . . you need your hands for caking.

Ah. Maybe just a bong on the head with a large spatula. :)

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 6:37pm
post #1588 of 3221

From a client earlier today who is ordering 4 cakes from me: Me: what flavors? Her: Oh I dunno, it just has to be over the top because so and so does cakes and I want it better than here"  ME:How many will this be feeding? Her: I'm not sure. She is just gonna take what she gets (the lady is her aunt) The design???? Uhhhhh a "blunt" "joint" "marijauna cigarette" I decided to do something for about 30 people then atthe last monute if she needs more I can throw in cupcakes.This woman can bring me TONS of business. SO I hope whatever over the top flavor I choose goes well. I thought of choosing a gooey mess of several different flavors and mediums....then I thought dreamsicle cake....then maybe blueberry with lemon curd???? What would be most likey to satisfy a large group of people? I figure they will have the munchies...heheheeh

Annabakescakes Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 7:04pm
post #1589 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

From a client earlier today who is ordering 4 cakes from me: Me: what flavors? Her: Oh I dunno, it just has to be over the top because so and so does cakes and I want it better than here"  ME:How many will this be feeding? Her: I'm not sure. She is just gonna take what she gets (the lady is her aunt) The design???? Uhhhhh a "blunt" "joint" "marijauna cigarette" I decided to do something for about 30 people then atthe last monute if she needs more I can throw in cupcakes.This woman can bring me TONS of business. SO I hope whatever over the top flavor I choose goes well. I thought of choosing a gooey mess of several different flavors and mediums....then I thought dreamsicle cake....then maybe blueberry with lemon curd???? What would be most likey to satisfy a large group of people? I figure they will have the munchies...heheheeh

My most popular flavors are chocolate with cookies and cream and white with strawberry. You could always make brownies with weed butter, if you live in Washington or Colorado, lol.

I once made a box of chocolate cigars cake and made Mary Jane with coconut dyed OD green.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 7:25pm
post #1590 of 3221

OD green? as in, overdose green?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%