Help.... Macsmom Chocolate Wasc Cake High Altitude Adjustements....

Baking By Bleighva Updated 9 May 2017 , 10:39pm by kakeladi

Bleighva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bleighva Posted 31 Oct 2012 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 7

I live in Denver, Colorado aka HIGH ALTITUDE lol.  All of my recipes have been okay with caving in the middle other than this one.....

Macsmom Chocolate WASC

2 boxes dark chocolate cake mixes

2 c cake flour

2 1/4 c sugar

3/4 tsp salt

2 pkgs chocolate fudge pudding mixes

8 egg whites or 6 whole eggs ( I have been using whites)

2 c sour cream

2 c coffee

1 c chocolate milk ( i make mine with lots of chocolate syrup and milk)

1/ c oil

2 t nielsen massey's chocolate extract

2 t vanilla or butter extract ( i do 1 t of each)

Then I add chocolate chips for crunch and texture. 2 cups for every 2 box recipe.  

I have been having problems with this recipe caving in and falling in the middle..... It has done this since i started making this cake even before I started adding the chocolate chips so I know that is not the problem.  I LOVE this recipe taste and density, however i HATE that every time in caves.....  Obviously i feel it is a high altitude problem but I am not sure what to do to fix it..... any suggestions?

6 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 12:50am
post #2 of 7

It's been a long time since I've used a doctored cake mix but I usually start with the basic adjustments and would reduce the added sugar by 1/4 cup. I'd normally increase the liquid by 2 tbs per cup BUT this recipe seems like it has an awful lot of liquid...between the sour cream, the coffee, the chocolate milk, the oil (do you really use a cup of oil, or is that an error?), it's 6 cups. Plus the pudding...it just seems way too moist.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 1:07am
post #3 of 7

I live at a higher altitude too. I always cut the sugar in half when I make WASC. Mine never falls...  plus it has a much less gummy texture when the sugar is reduced. 

Bleighva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bleighva Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 2:55am
post #4 of 7

Ooops yes its a typo.... i meant 1/3 c oil

ncaggie68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncaggie68 Posted 9 May 2017 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 7

Mines fall also.  Now I use the same WASC for other flavors and it never fails.  But when I use the DH Dark chocolate fudge cake mix it falls all of the time.  Why?

ncaggie68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncaggie68 Posted 9 May 2017 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 7

Mines fall also.  Now I use the same WASC for other flavors and it never fails.  But when I use the DH Dark chocolate fudge cake mix it falls all of the time.  Why?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 May 2017 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 7

I have almost always used Betty Crocker mixes and cannot remember a time it has fallen.   Even when I  baked cakes at 8500 ft....just had to almost double the liquid in the recipe - that was the only adjustment I made to my *original* WASC recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%