Smbc Or The Standard Butter And Crisco Bc

Baking By bakinhoney1980 Updated 1 Nov 2012 , 3:41pm by bakinhoney1980

bakinhoney1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinhoney1980 Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 3

I have been decorating cakes now for about 2 years and I am constantly learning new things.  Recently I found a post on CC about bulges and problems with fondant caused by the buttercream fillings.  Is it really worth it to make a batch of SMBC?  Is it difficult?  I have 3 children and I know I can whip a batch of buttercream icing up in 5-10 minutes.  If it is worth the effort of making the SMBC, does anyone know a really good recipe to use?  I am doing a free cake this weekend and I guess there is no better time than now to try out something a little new and different.

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Oct 2012 , 3:36am
post #2 of 3

It really isn't the actual b'cream that is causing bulges.  It's that it's made too soft or too much is used.

I used b'cream for my dams for yrs and seldom had problems.

bakinhoney1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinhoney1980 Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 3

I guess I just don't know what I am doing wrong.  I have done cakes that came out beautifully, but I have also had some that softened and bulged slightly where the buttercream filling seemed to leak out a little.  Sometimes it is the simple things that throw us.  Should I refrigerate the iced cake before putting the fondant covering?  Will it still stick to the fondant after the icing is given time to firm up? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%