Wilton Lace Flair Cake

Decorating By Luvtobake1960 Updated 6 Oct 2012 , 3:56am by CWR41

Luvtobake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvtobake1960 Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 7

Has anybody on here made this cake? I am a newbie at cakes and I am having a problem with figuring out how to make the arches in this cake, evenly spaced around the cake. I do have the Wilton Cake Dividing set, but can't figure it out either. Any ideas?
LL

6 replies
JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 7

Can you post a pic or a link to what you are referring to?

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 7

You can use adding machine paper to go around the circumference of the cake, cut it to size, then fold in half and keep folding in half until swags (arches) are the size you want. Then cut a circle out using a round cutter to trace it. Then place it on your cake using straight pins, and trace swags with straight pins, poked in small intervals. I hope I explained this well enough to help. Good Luck!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 7

You could go to your local home depot store and purchase a length of copper. Bend it to the arch needed then press it lightly on the cake to mark it before you ice. Maybe cutting a tin can in half with tin snips would due. I purchased the Wilton lavender and white side marker. It won't help you with how wide the arches are but will give you the exact depth all the way around.

Luvtobake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvtobake1960 Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks everyone, these are great ideas! I appreciate your help. I like the copper wire idea, and I think what I will do is buy the wires they use with cake decorating (cheaper than copper, easier to cut) and I can even make a little handle to attach to the arch for easy placement and removal from the cake. NEVER would have thought of these things without CC forum help. Thank you again!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 2:13am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemaker2

You can use adding machine paper to go around the circumference of the cake, cut it to size, then fold in half and keep folding in half until swags (arches) are the size you want. Then cut a circle out using a round cutter to trace it. Then place it on your cake using straight pins, and trace swags with straight pins, poked in small intervals. I hope I explained this well enough to help. Good Luck!

This is such a great idea!! This can be used for different shapes, not just curves, and guarantees uniform height and shape all the way around. I am going to get a roll and use this method.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 3:56am
post #7 of 7

Your divider set will be difficult to use because of the cross piece the swag attaches to (may leave an imprint below your arches when using inverted).

Wilton pink garland markers will work:
http://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/cake-decorating-supplies/pink-garland-markers/38/529/152/1602/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%